Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens hood modification for DFA 100mm macro WR when used on full frame

Some people on the forum recommended replacing the (mostly useless) hood of the DFA 100mm macro Wr with a simple step-down ring from 49mm to 28mm. This indeed works perfectly on APS-C and I even included it in my review of the lens.

However, on full frame 28mm diameter causes strong vignetting, which is to be expected. I decided to test another ratio, this time selecting a 49-37mm step down ring (these seem ubiquitous on eBay).

Lo and behold, it works perfectly! I ran several tests and could not discern any vignetting whatsoever, even when shooting RAW on the K-1.

So this simple solution can be helpful for K-1 owners who do not want to be stuck with the original hood.

09-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to hear!
Still, ever after I saw a user here finding out the stop down ring can act as an aperture, I am a bit more apprehensive. You have to check the DoF with and without the stop down ring, because vignetting alone might not be a big enough indicator. If the DoF gets wider with the stop down ring, then you are essentially limiting the aperture of the lens and you no longer have f2.8. 37mm might be big enough for 100mm, maybe even at 1:1 macro, I'm just writing this post for people who like to get carried away and stick on super small step down rings without realizing the possible consequences
09-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the lens hood useful

I like the DFA 100mm macro WR lens hood and find it very useful for shooting under rainy, dusty and backlit conditions.
09-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess this trick should vignette more at infinity focus (where the light rays are parallel) then at close focus (where the light rays comes to a focus quite close to the lens).

09-12-2016, 05:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You have to check the DoF with and without the stop down ring, because vignetting alone might not be a big enough indicator.
Exposure is exactly the same, so no worries there. I also used the lens extensively over the week-end and DOF is right where it should be.

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I guess this trick should vignette more at infinity focus (where the light rays are parallel) then at close focus (where the light rays comes to a focus quite close to the lens).
Hum, no, sorry. You always get light from all distances, it's just in focus or out of focus depending on your focus point. The only thing affecting the angle of the incoming light rays is the aperture.
10-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Great to hear!
Still, ever after I saw a user here finding out the stop down ring can act as an aperture, I am a bit more apprehensive. You have to check the DoF with and without the stop down ring, because vignetting alone might not be a big enough indicator. If the DoF gets wider with the stop down ring, then you are essentially limiting the aperture of the lens and you no longer have f2.8. 37mm might be big enough for 100mm, maybe even at 1:1 macro, I'm just writing this post for people who like to get carried away and stick on super small step down rings without realizing the possible consequences
Just over 35mm is the minimum opening for f2.8 on a 100mm lens. So in theory the 37mm is probably ok.