Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Which lens should I rent for a trip?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to take my camera to a Nascar race again this year (went last year to Darlington and had a blast). I'm headed for Homestead-Miami Speedway, sitting about 3/4 of the way up the stands entering turn 1. I want to rent a better lens this time around because I had a struggle with my 80-320mm in terms of focusing and having a slow aperture (It was a night race). I've been looking at lens rentals because the fast 300mm+ lenses are extremely expensive. I've seen two models that are available on cameralensrentals, a Sigma 50-500mm F/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, and a Pentax 300mm f/4 ED IF DA*. I'm leaning towards the prime but I'm not sure if it's a bit too much for the pit road exit and turn 1, plus I've never actually used a prime lens before so I'm not used to having to frame everything in an immovable focal length. Is this a good idea or should I go with the Sigma? They're both around the $80 range to rent for 4-5 days so price isn't really a differentiating factor.

09-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fullmental Quote
Hey everyone, I'm looking to take my camera to a Nascar race again this year (went last year to Darlington and had a blast). I'm headed for Homestead-Miami Speedway, sitting about 3/4 of the way up the stands entering turn 1. I want to rent a better lens this time around because I had a struggle with my 80-320mm in terms of focusing and having a slow aperture (It was a night race). I've been looking at lens rentals because the fast 300mm+ lenses are extremely expensive. I've seen two models that are available on cameralensrentals, a Sigma 50-500mm F/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, and a Pentax 300mm f/4 ED IF DA*. I'm leaning towards the prime but I'm not sure if it's a bit too much for the pit road exit and turn 1, plus I've never actually used a prime lens before so I'm not used to having to frame everything in an immovable focal length. Is this a good idea or should I go with the Sigma? They're both around the $80 range to rent for 4-5 days so price isn't really a differentiating factor.
You should probably also tell us what camera you are using.

What ISO setting and f-stop did you use at Darlington?
09-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You should probably also tell us what camera you are using.

What ISO setting and f-stop did you use at Darlington?
As sorry I thought I had it in my signature but that's apparently nonexistent. I have a Pentax K50.

At Darlington I had a lot of trouble because it was a night race. The track wasn't as evenly lit as I would have hoped, so I wound up using TaV mode to try and balance things out. I had ISO as high as 6400 to try and maximize shutter speed, thereby minimizing the blur effect from the fast cars. I shot at f/5.6 (fastest setting at max zoom on the lens) the whole time because, again, I needed to maximize shutter speed and minimize blur.

This race is going to be a midday one, so I expect to have much more light even if it winds up being overcast.
09-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Homestead-Miami Speedway
I assume your sitting about here so I'd recommend a zoom to take in the action both wide and on a single car.

I think your 80-320mm will be just fine in a daylight race, it's Florida in daytime, you can keep the ISO under 800 and still get a good shutter speed above 1/100 second and DOF even maxed zoom and f5.6 .

I'd rent the 50-500, that way you can selectively shoot everything you can see.

09-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Probably get better results picking a specific location and prefocusing on it, then snapping bursts when cars move through it. The 150-450 has that neat multiple focus preset feature, but not sure if it works with the K50 or not.
09-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a friend who shoots NASCAR with an unfortunate choice of camera brand, and he says the 300f4, as sharp as it is, gets less use than his zoom, because of the wider ability.

If it were me, I'd take the zoom and scope out the track for next time. You'll be able to see which focal lengths work...

-Eric
09-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
and he says the 300f4, as sharp as it is, gets less use than his zoom, because of the wider ability.
An illustration of Pathdoc's first law - in fast-moving situations, flexibility trumps IQ.

09-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I assume your sitting about here so I'd recommend a zoom to take in the action both wide and on a single car.

I think your 80-320mm will be just fine in a daylight race, it's Florida in daytime, you can keep the ISO under 800 and still get a good shutter speed above 1/100 second and DOF even maxed zoom and f5.6 .

I'd rent the 50-500, that way you can selectively shoot everything you can see.
I may have forgotten to mention I used the 80-320mm at Daytona too during the day, it was decent there but I kept wishing I had a little more for the backstretch and turns (we were at pit entrance). given we're at a "corner" so to speak, the distance to turns 3-4 is probably in that zone as well.

So it sounds like a prime isn't a good idea after all? Are there any other lenses available for rental? It's very hard to find Pentax lenses on these sort of sites, let alone large zoom ones like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I have a friend who shoots NASCAR with an unfortunate choice of camera brand, and he says the 300f4, as sharp as it is, gets less use than his zoom, because of the wider ability.

If it were me, I'd take the zoom and scope out the track for next time. You'll be able to see which focal lengths work...

-Eric
I kind of have my doubts I'll go more than once. I'm trying to get some variety in every year, and the only track I seem to go back to on a regular basis is Daytona (mostly because it's the closest - close enough to a relative I don't have to pay for a hotel which makes attending a race really affordable)
09-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The DA*300/4 is a good lens but it has a pretty slow autofocus, That may not hurt you at a Nascar race because you can focus ona spot and it's very predictable. I have actually rented a Sigma 50-500 from CamerLensRentals.com and their service is superb. The 50-500 focuses faster but of course it is a slower lens. I rented the 50-500 before I bought the DA*300 and chose the 300 because of the wider aperture, since I'm usually using it in the forest where light can be scarce. I think in this case (daylight) either will work. That extra reach would be nice. Both lenses are easily handheld. If you get the Sigma it has in lens OS, if you use it turn the SR off on the K-50, or vice versa. The difference using the lenses OS is you get a stabilized view. I tried both and saw no difference in results.
09-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you could possibly rent s Sigma 150-500 DG OS or a Sigma 120-400, either one of those might help. The lens would have to be K mount. I have a 150-500 and it does a great job. I leave the OS on the lens off and the camera SR on when I shoot to avoid system conflict, and use TAV mode most of the time.
09-10-2016, 04:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So it sounds like a prime isn't a good idea after all?
IMO, no. I'd want the flexibility of the zoom. at a max of 500mm, the Sigma you mentioned over a great range of focal length to go from fairly close at Turn 1, all the way out to capture cars at Turn 3 and Turn 4 , with enough aperture to all you to still use high shuttter speed in average daylight.

Consider renting it a few days before the race, and try it out near a freeway so you can practice focusing and such with high speed subjects, and practice it with it at the track if you can see some practice laps, and to get an idea of angles and distances.