Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Using K lenses on E mount

Hi all,

I have returned from my trip to Iceland where I had the misfortune of ending up with a malfunctioning K-3 and ending up with a new Sony a6000. I was really hoping that once I got home I'd be able to acquire a K to E adapter so I could at least use the a6000 as a backup body with my existing lenses, but my searches are not yielding any smart adapter results, only ones for manual control. While I do sometimes(rarely) shoot with manual lenses, most of my lenses, including those I use most, are not manual lenses, so those options aren't sufficient for me. Forum search isn't yielding many discussions on this either.

Are there no good options for a smart adapter? Am I stuck with just the kit lens on the Sony for now? Honestly then the question becomes, do I send my K-3 in for an expensive fix and sell the Sony at a huge loss, or give up and sell off my Pentax gear and go E mount? Investing in Sony lenses without selling off the Pentax gear isn't an option for me right now, and I don't think I'll be happy keeping around a second body to use with just its kit lens.

09-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There aren't even any smart adapters, Jmhsnk.

09-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
Are there no good options for a smart adapter?
No, they're all manual. Sony likes to tell you "you can mount any lenses you want on our camera" but conviently forget to tell about the downsides...

Am I stuck with just the kit lens on the Sony for now?
Yes.

Honestly then the question becomes, do I send my K-3 in for an expensive fix and sell the Sony at a huge loss, or give up and sell off my Pentax gear and go E mount? Investing in Sony lenses without selling off the Pentax gear isn't an option for me right now, and I don't think I'll be happy keeping around a second body to use with just its kit lens.
You also have to take in consideration that you will have to spend much more money to get E lenses comparable to your K mount ones... The Sony system, may be good, but it's one of the most expensive on the market.
09-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, all the adapters are manual. But on mirrorless it's not that big of a handicap. Focusing is probably what will give you the most trouble.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, all the adapters are manual. But on mirrorless it's not that big of a handicap. Focusing is probably what will give you the most trouble.
I have used various older MF lenses on my K-30, including a day on vacation when I disciplined myself to use only a Soviet-built M42 lens the entire day and another day on the same trip when I used only an AdaptAll lens; I didn't have significant issues, even though I was kind of out of practice. Now, I do tend to stay away from thin DoF aperture settings, but even so, MF is do-able. If Sony provides "help", such as focus peaking, it becomes all the much easier.
09-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you want to use Pentax K-mount lenses on Sony camera, it might be best to buy old Pentax lenses, like Pentax M 50mm f1.7 and similar. That will be the cheapest, still give decent optical quality, and you can use them on Pentax SLR and DSLR cameras. Lenses like the modern DA ones.. really not much point to adapting them, as you pay for features that you will not be able to use (AF, WR,..). And lack of aperture ring makes things even more difficult.

Honestly then the question becomes, do I send my K-3 in for an expensive fix and sell the Sony at a huge loss, or give up and sell off my Pentax gear and go E mount?
Depends on what Pentax K gear you already have. Maybe most of it will be good enough for your needs with adapter on the Sony camera. Or you can move to Sony E mount but use old lenses that can be adapter more easily, with more automation. I don't really know much about Sony E and adapting modern AF lenses, though. Those adapters alone usually cost quite a bit.

Another option might be to do a trade. So you trade your Sony for a K-3 (or K-5IIs?) and this way you both minimize losses. Just have to find someone who wants to do this.

The biggest reason for me to stay away from Sony was the lenses. They are relatively big and expensive, even though Sony cameras are very compact and some are priced very fairly. Its like buying an affordable printer, only to spend a bunch on ink.
09-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Honestly then the question becomes, do I send my K-3 in for an expensive fix and sell the Sony at a huge loss, or give up and sell off my Pentax gear and go E mount?
Price an E-mount kit and you might decide to just simply buy a new K-3 at current clearance prices.

Steve

09-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #8

While getting the K3 repaired may seem expensive if the shutter count is not outrageous it sure beat buying a new camera. I had to have one of my K3's repaired and I must say when it came back it was as good as new they even gave it a good cleaning .
09-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies everyone. It's sad that there aren't any smart adapters for the K mount; I was led to believe that that would be an option.

Unfortunately my most used lenses do not have aperture rings, so it's not just a matter of focusing
09-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for your replies everyone. It's sad that there aren't any smart adapters for the K mount; I was led to believe that that would be an option.

Unfortunately my most used lenses do not have aperture rings, so it's not just a matter of focusing
Good adapters have an aperture ring, so you can still use DA lenses. I.e.:

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter w/Aperture Dial, Pentax K Lens to Sony NEX E-mount Mirrorless Camera e.g. Sony Alpha a7 & NEX-7 : Camera & Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Price an E-mount kit and you might decide to just simply buy a new K-3 at current clearance prices.
The K-3 is twice the camera the a6000 is. And good luck finding the lenses you want in E-mount. Selection is very limited.
09-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hi all,

I have returned from my trip to Iceland where I had the misfortune of ending up with a malfunctioning K-3 and ending up with a new Sony a6000. I was really hoping that once I got home I'd be able to acquire a K to E adapter so I could at least use the a6000 as a backup body with my existing lenses, but my searches are not yielding any smart adapter results, only ones for manual control. While I do sometimes(rarely) shoot with manual lenses, most of my lenses, including those I use most, are not manual lenses, so those options aren't sufficient for me. Forum search isn't yielding many discussions on this either.

Are there no good options for a smart adapter? Am I stuck with just the kit lens on the Sony for now? Honestly then the question becomes, do I send my K-3 in for an expensive fix and sell the Sony at a huge loss, or give up and sell off my Pentax gear and go E mount? Investing in Sony lenses without selling off the Pentax gear isn't an option for me right now, and I don't think I'll be happy keeping around a second body to use with just its kit lens.
Sorry to hear about the breakdown during the travels.

There is no smart adapter for PK to E-mount.
What there is however is a M-mount to E-mount semi AF adapter (not cheap).
If you couple this to E>M>PK, then you get AF up to a certain extent.
Not worth the cost and trouble imo.

What to do from here?
1. Keep the NEX as a backup and repair the K3 (sounds right to me).
2. Get 2nd hand cheap f2.8 primes for the NEX (Sigma 19, 30) - don't over invest imo (don't know where NEX is going as a system with the emphasis on the A series)

It does sound drastic, selling off your Pentax stuff.
09-16-2016, 03:43 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
This one's reviews say that the aperture control only works with lenses that already have aperture rings, so I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FAAK1UY/ instead. It didn't have enough reviews to ensure that it'd work, but I'm happy to report that it does! It has an extremely short turning radius for aperture control, but at least it works!
09-16-2016, 04:22 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

This one's reviews say that the aperture control only works with lenses that already have aperture rings, so I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FAAK1UY/ instead. It didn't have enough reviews to ensure that it'd work, but I'm happy to report that it does! It has an extremely short turning radius for aperture control, but at least it works!
But it's clickless, right?

A pain in the rear ... 😀

09-16-2016, 06:30 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used click-less adapters like those mentioned on m43 and they are mainly annoying if your workflow is based around pre selecting a particular f stop.

Using the camera a different way and letting constant preview features (not my preferred method) you get a good idea of depth of field. The main issue in my opinion is manual flash since repeatable exact aperture control is nonexistent in this model. But you can chimp.

My first foray into mirrorless was m43 and I used the adapted k lenses occasionally - the gx7 was my backup camera at that point. It is clunky and slower to use adapted lenses without aperture rings but you do get better at it.