Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have used click-less adapters like those mentioned on m43 and they are mainly annoying if your workflow is based around pre selecting a particular f stop.

Using the camera a different way and letting constant preview features (not my preferred method) you get a good idea of depth of field. The main issue in my opinion is manual flash since repeatable exact aperture control is nonexistent in this model. But you can chimp.

My first foray into mirrorless was m43 and I used the adapted k lenses occasionally - the gx7 was my backup camera at that point. It is clunky and slower to use adapted lenses without aperture rings but you do get better at it.
Exactly like using the Genuine Pentax Adapter to mount K-mount lenses on my Q-7. I have absolutely no idea what f/stop I have at any one time, only that I'm closing or opening the aperture.

09-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yea, it's clickless. Not the best thing, but the best that's out there.
09-16-2016, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
Yea, it's clickless. Not the best thing, but the best that's out there.
Since this is not an electronic interface it only makes sense that these are clickless - they simply put pressure on the lever and slowly close the diaphragm. If you want to get a little more clarity you could dedicate adapters to various lenses (they are cheap) and mark them in paint or with an engraving tool with your f/stops. You can calculate the f/stops by starting with a wide open metering with a constant light source. Then you can slowly stop down until the shutter speed changes in Av mode. You then mark the change as appropriate. So if you start with 1/500 at f/2.8 and you get to 1/250 you mark that point as f/4. You then continue stopping down and at 1/125th you mark f/5.6, etc. Then you mark that adapter as specific for that lens. In theory it would be good as marked for any lens that has the same starting f/stop* but I haven't tried that. I have only used tape to mark a single f/stop for a day myself but the idea is workable as described.

*The lever motion relative to f/stop changed from M to A series but all mechanical aperture linked lenses with aperture irises that do not have aperture rings that I know about are FA-J, DA or DFA which all use the same lever motion.
09-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have only used tape to mark a single f/stop
I really like this idea especially. Now that I have my K3 back it's not as urgent, but I may do this as needed.

09-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
I really like this idea especially. Now that I have my K3 back it's not as urgent, but I may do this as needed.
It is pretty easy and quick. I use a laptop screen on a white background or a light shade and then count off my f/stops as needed. I shoot a lot at f/5.6 or f/8 and so marking either or both of those for a day's shots isn't hard. The loss of EXIF data is no fun either since I am spoiled and don't keep a shooting logbook anymore. The film era days had me develop some different habits than digital which are long since lost.