Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samyang starting to limit lens offerings in the K mount??

Samyang is starting to offer a new lens in their premium line - but they are not supporting the K mount with their new 14mm F2.4 lens. Their new 85mm f1.2 in their premium line is only available in a Canon mount....

09-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe they want to see the success of the Tilt/Shift 24mm first?
09-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed these lenses do not have an apeture ring. It appears they are using an electronic apeture control. Like other third party manufacturers this may be the reason they are not being offered in K mount. The KAF4 mount simply has not been out long enough and only four camera bodies support it.
09-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Their new 85mm f1.2 in their premium line is only available in a Canon mount....
Canon's mount is far larger than either Nikon's or Pentax's. If you notice, Canon offers an OEM 85mm f/1.2 and Nikon does not. Canon offers an autofocus 50mm f/1.2 and Nikon's is manual focus only. Only Canon's mount is physically large enough to support an 85mm f/1.2 lens. That's why it's Canon only.

You won't see it in K mount for this reason. The K mount not being physically large enough may also be the reason why the 50mm f/1.2 was not continued into the F series--they couldn't fit autofocus in there!

09-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I noticed these lenses do not have an apeture ring. It appears they are using an electronic apeture control. Like other third party manufacturers this may be the reason they are not being offered in K mount. The KAF4 mount simply has not been out long enough and only four camera bodies support it.
The aperture ring has been gone for a while- that's not what the KAF4 mount is about. KAF4 does away with the aperture actuation lever entirely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
It's worth noting that aperture control on Samyang lenses for the Canon EF mount is a recent thing - to start with Canon users got to enjoy the fully manual experience with the Samyang lenses being fixed aperture as well as manual focus (with no focus confirmation due to the rather nasty requirement for an AF chip in Canon land). Nikon users and us Pentaxians, on the other hand, have been enjoying step down metering and body-aperture control since Samyang got into the serious optics business last decade - all thanks to our mechanical aperture mechanism (and for Pentax, the very simple KA mount contacts has probably helped).

Nikon has had its electronic aperture control for a little longer, but as far as I can tell Samyang hasn't been moving across to it, I don't think there is any rush for them to adopt KAF4; it's just another block of R&D and production line changes due to it being different again from the others (the EF implementation).

And the whole situation may be like with the 35/1.4 - Nikon and Canon editions were announced first, and about a month later the K mount version appeared.
09-13-2016, 05:02 AM   #7
Forum Member

I am not worried about the lack of aperture ring, Its the lack of front filter mount, The competitors Irix, Zeiss, Sigma, all have front mount filters, and Irix have a filter hatch in the lens hood, A super wide that you cannot use a CPL POLA filter on is not worth owning.

09-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I thought the announced Samyang 20/1.8 *was* confirmed in K-mount? In the same "series", both 14mm and 85mm focal lengths are already available as well.

Perhaps these "premium" lenses are intended for a very limited audience only? We haven't seen the price yet, but perhaps this will warrant the more limited mounts the lenses will be available in?

Personally, I like the idea of a 85/1.2. This could be an interesting lens for extreme short DoF (eg panorama stiched bokehramas Brenizer style). But, if the price would be over EUR 1000, I will pass as will many fans of the existing Samyang DSLR offering IMHO.

Wim
09-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

85/1.2 and14/2.4 are interesting news, though not in K mount (yet?).
But their design is ugly, seems unfortunate and unergonomic shamallow/Zeiss inspired style...
09-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The aperture ring has been gone for a while- that's not what the KAF4 mount is about. KAF4 does away with the aperture actuation lever entirely.
That is what I really meant. I do not see an apeture lever on these new mounts. Sorry I should read my typing a little more thoroughly.
09-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd be very interested in the UWA pricing and performance, hope they'll release it for k mount later on.
09-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Maybe they want to see the success of the Tilt/Shift 24mm first?
That lens has been out since 2012. I don't think many sold (or were even listed by many sellers in the US) before the K-1, but it may see a jump now. Similarly, it seemed like few US sellers listed the 12mm/2.8 FF Fisheye until recently.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I thought the announced Samyang 20/1.8 *was* confirmed in K-mount? In the same "series", both 14mm and 85mm focal lengths are already available as well.
That's correct - they announced the 20/1.8 for every mount they support, even EOS-M and Samsung NX. It is interesting that the first two focal lengths for the "Premium" line are a 14/2.4 and an 85/1.2, while two of the first three of their manual focus lenses were a 14/2.8 and an 85/1.4, both FF. If they are starting over and re-doing each lens, the next Premium should be an 8mm f/2.8 fisheye (full-circle on FF).
09-13-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There seems to be a clear trend regarding third-party K-mount support: cheaper consumer lenses are typically made available, whereas high-end niche lenses aren't. Must be a reason behind this

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Would be sad if they dropped the support completely, but I'm hoping they'll at least release the 14mm later on.
09-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There seems to be a clear trend regarding third-party K-mount support: cheaper consumer lenses are typically made available, whereas high-end niche lenses aren't. Must be a reason behind this
Also, Samyang has not yet got enough time to prepare K-AF4 mount reverse engineering, which is compulsory at least for the 85mm, given the very wide lens diameter.
Actually that 85mm will only be available in EF mount at this stage

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-13-2016 at 09:51 PM.