Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tamron 180mm sp MF any good

have the opportunity to get this 180mm lens and just wondering if it was any good

63B

also what is it supposed to be worth?
Looked in the marketplace forums but there has been only 1 sale and the guy removed the price after the sale (i hate when that happens)

07-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it's a horribly crappy lens.
Where did you say you could get it from? ;-)
07-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by silverknight Quote
have the opportunity to get this 180mm lens and just wondering if it was any good

63B

also what is it supposed to be worth?
Looked in the marketplace forums but there has been only 1 sale and the guy removed the price after the sale (i hate when that happens)
Its not worth a tinker's damn so you be let me remove it from circulation before some poor soul gets stuck with it.
07-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

In all seriousness, it is not extremely common because Tamron limited production of them for some reason but is one of the best SP lenses. I've been looking for one for . . . well a long time.

07-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
lol - u guys are trying to kill me

Another problem is that I've already got another of the rare tamron lenses
70-150mm f2.8 soft.

I was thinking that adding the 180mm wouldnt be too much benefit?
If I didnt have that soft lens - I would get it for sure.

Although having this would make it my longest f2.8 lens - and its not a macro lens either so I cant justify it as my "macro lens purchase"

btw. I dont mind buying lenses if I can be quite certain that they will retain their value. Thats why I didnt hesitate to get the soft lens when I saw it.

Any idea on the price guys? eg blue what range would u pay for one? 200US? 300US? 800US? lol
I just want a rough idea so I'll know if im getting a bargain or paying too much. I wont tell how much its being offerred to me for if its going to make some people cry =P

On the above link it lists it at 133,000 yen new which was a little cheaper than the 80-200mm f2.8 // and half the price of the 300mm f2.8 both of these lenses which I could initially see good uses for. 180mm f2.8 with no macro just seems a bit wierd.

Last edited by silverknight; 07-24-2008 at 08:43 PM.
07-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I haven't seen one for sale in so long I can't give a good idea of what one would go for currently. I've been keeping an eye on KEH (Atlanta, GA), BH, Adorama, Blue Moon and EekBay and haven't seen one in months. I will pm you with a wild guess because I don't want to effect price in a negative way. There were only 3000 of the 63B made!

Edit: While this isn't a macro lens, at f2.5, it is faster than the Sigma 180mm at f3.5. The only thing it would give up to the Sigma would be AF.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/63B.html

Last edited by Blue; 07-24-2008 at 09:09 PM.
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
lol - cool.

I think people that visit these forums drive the price down and people that dont drive it up!
ends up being the same and really just depends on availability i think.
With only 3000 made, I think its going to be difficult to get one.

I also think that the majority of them now are being used on a pentax system which is why the PKA adapters have gone through the roof.
07-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have been fortunate to get my hands on a couple of pka adapters. One was marginal on price and the other for about 5 dollars more than a new p/k.

07-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #9
Inactive Account

silverknight, if this is the BIN for $150 I was tempted, but the low price just rang alarm bells. You should check the condition with the seller and make-up your own mind - I don't equate "servicing" to replacing the front element.
-Steve
07-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
OH noes - i've been outed

yeah I was weary of the low price but we'll see.
did u ask him and he said the front element needs to be replaced?

I really just wanted to have a play with it so I could see what the fuss is about.

I hope I wasnt naive as I bought my 70-150mm soft for about the same price and that was in perfect condition. I dont think im ever going to sell that.
07-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #11
Inactive Account

This is the response I received
"barrel is fine normal feel, the front element glass is rough-it is working but if you want pristine than the front element need replacing as reflected in the low price - the whole lens should be serviced."

That said though, if I had $150 burning a hole in my pocket it's probably worth the risk. On the other Pentax forum last year I remember (Frank?) posted some shots with a very rough looking lens, like the front element had been sandpapered with 40grit! Stopped down a bit the images were suprisingly good, perhaps not as contrasty as a sample in good condition, and probably more prone to flare.

I'm be interested to see some samples when it arives!
07-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll try my best - i havent even been bothered to put up samples of my 70-150mm soft yet.

I think im more of a hoarder than a photographer.
07-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
[QUOTE=silverknight;300569
Another problem is that I've already got another of the rare tamron lenses 70-150mm f2.8 soft.[/QUOTE]

You realize that lens is crap too..barely worth $50 but I'll offer you twice that

The 180 is worthy of being a pentax prime from samples I've seen of it, so price accordingly. Of course, if the front element is "rough", as in dropped on pavement, I'm not sure how much that is worth. I'm not sure Tamron even has a replacement for the front lens but it'd be worth asking them.
07-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by silverknight Quote
OH noes - i've been outed

yeah I was weary of the low price but we'll see.
did u ask him and he said the front element needs to be replaced?

I really just wanted to have a play with it so I could see what the fuss is about.

I hope I wasnt naive as I bought my 70-150mm soft for about the same price and that was in perfect condition. I dont think im ever going to sell that.
There is a lot more 70-150mm out there and I see them from time to time.
07-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 180 2.5 SP

Silverknight,

The Tamron 180 2.5 Sp is is reputed to a a very special lens if you can get one in good condition. I almost bought one years ago. It was a 35th anniversary limited edition with only a few thousand being issued. As I recall it was beautifully made and a pleasure to hold. Very bright in the viewfinder. It apparently tested favourably with other 180's of the same era. See link for details:

Tamron SP Adaptall-2 180mm F/2.5 LD-IF Model 63B

Personally I like lenses in this focal length for sports and action shots. The front element is a concern however. If you can buy it cheap and return it if you don't like the results go for it. There is little to lose and you might be getting a fantastic bargain.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-25-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo