Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Auto Takumar 85 1.8

Hey all,

B&H had a "Super Takumar 85 1.8" on their used website for a great price and I picked it up. Of course I know a little bit about the 85s Pentax (Asahi) has made and I knew there was no Super Takumar 85 1.8. So I figured, if it is the SMC 85 I'm all over it for the price.

It arrived yesterday. To my surprise and shock, it was the Auto-Takumar 85 1.8. Now, I wasn't upset at all, I figured since they mislabeled it on the internet the highest chances were that it was the Super Takumar 85 1.9. Maybe the SMC 85 1.8. Very very unlikely the Auto-Takumar. It came in the original brown leather case, which is in excellent condition, and the lens itself is probably in 97% original condition. Came with original caps and they were nearly perfect also.

So here is the deal - I don't know much about this lens because google doesn't have much. I've seen them rarely come up on Ebay in beater condition and still go for $300. I've read the elements difference and it is distinct from the other 85s. I also read that this might of been the first time they used the "free" element concept that I think is still continued (but different) on the FA 77.

I've compared it to my incredibly beat up Super Tak 85 1.9 - and they are just a different breed (even though some say they are very similar lenses). The Auto-Tak 85 1.8 is the real deal. Amazing for portraits. Just wondered if people had some wisdom and experience using it. It has a stiff focus (probably because it looks nearly unused), I'm going to see if I can just get that to loosen up with use otherwise send it to DCShooter and have a CLA. I will post pictures today sometime. Any thoughts?

09-17-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the element diagrams the AT85/1.8 is the same as the ST85/1.9

I have compared the SMC85/1.8 against the ST85/1.9 and the much rarer SMC85/1.9 and my conclusion was there was no real discernible difference except for one thing. The ST85/1.9 had poorer colours and contrast - a testimony to the SMC coatings.

I am awaiting my copy of the AT85/1.8 and will test it with vigour. And yes DC has played with it and said it took nice photos. Ask DC about doing a CLA he might decline
09-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
According to the element diagrams the AT85/1.8 is the same as the ST85/1.9

I have compared the SMC85/1.8 against the ST85/1.9 and the much rarer SMC85/1.9 and my conclusion was there was no real discernible difference except for one thing. The ST85/1.9 had poorer colours and contrast - a testimony to the SMC coatings.

I am awaiting my copy of the AT85/1.8 and will test it with vigour. And yes DC has played with it and said it took nice photos. Ask DC about doing a CLA he might decline
I have a copy of the SMC Tak 85 1.9. It is interesting that their optics are the same because the quality of image is quite different when I compare the two. Some of that would be the reduced contrast due to the significant scratches on my SMC 85 1.9. But the Auto-Tak has a very distinct smoothness to it.
09-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have the Auto Tak 85/f1.8. Short version of the long story, I also have a Contax Zeiss 85/f2.8, that I modified to a K mount (Leitax.com). They are both incredible lenses. My problem - up until now is that I have not shot with them as much as I really should have. I was initially interested in the 85's for some mild telephoto landscapes and a bit of astro. Now, that I am finally retired - I want to go out and start exercising these lenses with visions of Arizona and the sky we have here.

I really need to just get a second M42 K adapter to put on the AT 85 semi-permanently, so that I don't have to dip into the throat of the camera body with my fingers to extract the adapter - at night when I am changing lenses. Otherwise, the lens shoots extremely nice. For nearly a 60 year old lens, it is impressive.

09-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Auto Tak 85/f1.8 was the 'normal' lens on my Spotmatic for many years. Foolishly sold it before I took the opportunity to see what it was like on the DSLRs.
09-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I snagged an ATak 85/1.8 in pristine condition and absolutely love the lens. I do not own a STak or SMC Tak 85, but several folks I trust do, and they state the Auto-Tak has a unique character in rendering its colors that they find more appealing than any other 85mm Takumar variant. To me it just seems more 'natural' with a film/analogue character. And the bokeh is wonderfully creamy. yuo will oove it and it is most definitely worth the visit to DC for a CLA.

I'm on the lookout for original caps and case, so if you do happen to run into any up for sale -- let me know!! ;-)
09-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I'm on the lookout for original caps and case, so if you do happen to run into any up for sale -- let me know!! ;-)
Me too, but such items would not match my modified AT85/1.8

---------- Post added 09-18-16 at 07:17 AM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-...ml#post3749132

09-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Me too, but such items would not match my modified AT85/1.8

---------- Post added 09-18-16 at 07:17 AM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-...ml#post3749132
Sweet! A work of art. Brian's craftsmanship never ceases typo amaze!