Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Using a prime is so "old school"...!

HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR

With the modern shake reduction, f2.8 is fine.

Last edited by oscaletrains; 09-19-2016 at 07:07 AM.
09-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
Thanks all, interestingly in the lens review database there is not much love for the fa43 on the k1

Do they have bad copies or...?

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There are two less-than-stellar reviews there. One is by MadMathMind who seems to have an extreme dislike and/or bad experience for it on the K-1. (He has talked about it extensively on the forums in a couple places.) The other is just a so-so response. But two negative reviews are not indicative of a trend.
09-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both the fa 43 and da 55 and have used both extensively on K1 and K3. The 43 I have always found finicky, mostly in terms of AF accuracy, which seems a bit spotty. That phenomenon is more pronounced on the K3 than the K1 (but still present on the K1). That said, I've gotten some great images with it on the K1. It's definitely capably of delivering, if you're willing to deal with its idiosyncrasies. The 55 I liked on the K3 but is just stellar on the K1. AF speed isn't lightning quick, but acceptable, and the AF accuracy has been absolutely spot on. Rendering is fantastic, especially if portrait is your main goal. One thing to note is that I've found it to be bitingly sharp even at open apertures, and very contrasty at all apertures, on the K1. This isn't a problem, but I've often had to dial down Clarity in LR to -30-35 or so when shooting portraits to get the look I wanted (for comparison, I often decrease Clarity to -10 or so with the Fa limiteds in similar circumstances). Anyway, bottom line is they both can deliver great results, but I'd choose the 55 if portrait is your main goal. If versatility is your goal, I'd be more apt to consider the 43 as I think it's focal length is more versatile.

-Brandon
09-20-2016, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd happily walk around all day with the K-1 and the DA*55:

09-20-2016, 06:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
Thanks all, interestingly in the lens review database there is not much love for the fa43 on the k1

Do they have bad copies or...?

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I would take the reviews with a semi-pinch of salt. When I was shooting the 43 on the k-3, I'd be hard pressed to recommend it over the DA40. The DA40 has nice buttery bokeh, is smaller, quite a bit cheaper, and much more consistent. The FA43 has a bit of what I'd call an operating window. Within the right focal lengths, at the right aperture, it can deliver some astonishing shots (on the k-3 that is). But outside that window, it can often deliver flat and dull looking images (again, I'm only talking about the k-3 here).

On the k-1 though, it does come alive. It is not an FA77 or FA31. Those lenses are buttery smooth all the way. If that's what you are after, then the DA* 55 is probably what you want. The FA43 has a very unique rendering between about f2 and f3.5. Within certain limits its buttery smooth (in most cases from f4 and smaller, although that varies depending on focus distance), outside of those limits its bokeh is much more impressionist in its style (e.g. Monet, cezanne). For some people that style is not their cup of tea. For me personally, I really like the fact it's a very different lens to the 31 or 77.

I love it (as do many other k-1 owners), however it's not to everyone's taste. Take a good long hard look at the bokeh in this image: IMGP1595 | Rob Bateman | Flickr

That's the style of rendering that separates the 43 from the other FA limiteds. it's sharp, and it's tiny. You'll either love it, or you'll hate it, but it's not a lens that you could ever say was bad (not your first choice for your style of photography maybe, but bad, no!). I'd never sell mine. It's become my most used lens on the k-1.
09-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I love it (as do many other k-1 owners), however it's not to everyone's taste. Take a good long hard look at the bokeh in this image: IMGP1595 | Rob Bateman | Flickr
Can see it here.... on K3

09-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
I'd be interested to hear the views of anyone who has used the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 on a K1 (I know it's 3mm above your max focal length) - it may just be that this is the "Best Normal Lens" - if it's APS-C results are anything to go by it will certainly be up there
So far I'm finding the Nokton incredible on the K-1. I've owned every one of the Voigtlanders, sold them all, then bought my favorites again, including the Nokton specifically hoping it could serve as my normal lens when I got the K-1. But I again have been selling off my Voigtlanders because I have a new glasses prescription, and I can't seem to manual focus anymore (it's been months of trying without success except when on a tripod). But the Nokton I still have because of how good it is on the K-1—it is sharp edge to edge from f2 onward. On APS-C I didn't feel it was so spectacular. I know that's partly because the FL was a bit awkward (for me), but as a "long normal" on FF the focal length is now my favorite, and the image quality is so much better that I think that APS-C just didn't offer the Nokton good enough resolution to really show what it was capable of (either that or my current Nokton, which replaced my earlier one, is an exceptional copy). I may end up selling it because of my glasses, but I for now I'm keeping for use with a tripod.

09-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
, and the image quality is so much better that I think that APS-C just didn't offer the Nokton good enough resolution to really show what it was capable of (either that or my current Nokton, which replaced my earlier one, is an exceptional copy).
Must be the latter, Les. :-)

The K-5 has the same resolution as the K-1 (practically the same sensor wafer, just smaller) and the K-3 even more pixels per square inch.

I loved the Nokton sample photos in this forum and considered getting one, but went for a DA*55 instead for its WR and AF.

09-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Must be the latter, Les. :-)

The K-5 has the same resolution as the K-1 (practically the same sensor wafer, just smaller) and the K-3 even more pixels per square inch.

I loved the Nokton sample photos in this forum and considered getting one, but went for a DA*55 instead for its WR and AF.
You are right of course. However, I have been suspecting anyway that my lack of enthusiasm for the 58mm FL on APS-C. and how much more I like it on FF, has made me less than objective about my earlier Nokton. RE DA 55. I too have been considering it if my eyesight forces me to sell the Nokton, but I haven't seen enough reports about using it on FF, plus Pentax is planning to release a "standard" FF lens, which I'd like to see.
09-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
You are right of course. However, I have been suspecting anyway that my lack of enthusiasm for the 58mm FL on APS-C. and how much more I like it on FF, has made me less than objective about my earlier Nokton. RE DA 55. I too have been considering it if my eyesight forces me to sell the Nokton, but I haven't seen enough reports about using it on FF, plus Pentax is planning to release a "standard" FF lens, which I'd like to see.
Super versatile, the DA*55 on FF: