Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Mike,Lowell, I have looked at Sigma and Tamron too, just not sure there either. SDM is nice to have during the quiet moments, so I could also consider the Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM. The only 2.8 IF lens in the wide zoom range they have is the 18-50 HSM and it's not even made for Pentax. Tamron is the same problem at the opposite end - the only lens I would consider is the SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF]. So I guess I could go with a Sigma/Tamron combo, without weather sealing.

Oy
I would not worry too much about weather sealing for weddings, I'm sure the bride and groom are not waterproof either

in all honesty, although my K10D is weather proof (to some extent) none of my 14 lenses are. While I don't go out in the rain deliberately (I'll leave that to salty) things do get wet frm time to time. if you dry them off periodically and take care to dry them out when you get home, they are fine.

07-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
rpmar, first of all, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Hey, thx. Not yet sure how I can shoot it and be in the pictures at the same time. And it's not even me pressing for this, but my partner! She likes my work.
07-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Frogroast: Lowell, I have looked at Sigma and Tamron too, just not sure there either. SDM is nice to have during the quiet moments, so I could also consider the Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM. The only 2.8 IF lens in the wide zoom range they have is the 18-50 HSM and it's not even made for Pentax. Tamron is the same problem at the opposite end - the only lens I would consider is the SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF]. So I guess I could go with a Sigma/Tamron combo, without weather sealing.

I bought the Tammy 17-50 f 2.8 to companion my K20 and they work harmoniously. I am very happy with my choice, particularly because I spent so much time researching. I could not justify the added expense of the Pentax 16-50f 2.8 simply for weather sealing. And weather sealing was the only clear advantage I found that the Pentax had. To be fair, I did not get the chance to shoot with the Pentax, but did relish the thought of having a pedigree walk around with the K20.
07-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Hey, thx. Not yet sure how I can shoot it and be in the pictures at the same time. And it's not even me pressing for this, but my partner! She likes my work.
Sorry Robin, I forgot to congratulate you earlier, I was too busy thinking about your fall in the waterfall (which reminds me , does the lucky lady have you insured yet?
RE taking shots at your own wedding; you have a tripod, why not invest in the remote?
Gary

07-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Sorry Robin, I forgot to congratulate you earlier, I was too busy thinking about your fall in the waterfall (which reminds me , does the lucky lady have you insured yet?
RE taking shots at your own wedding; you have a tripod, why not invest in the remote?
Gary! You're a hoot! Remember I broke my remote release in the waterfall incident?

Thanks for the congrats. Lots of planning to do even for a "small" wedding. And actually I do have insurance -- for the first time in my life. Having dependents changes one's attitude significantly.