Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Honestly the hood destroy completely the benefit of FA20 being lightweight small... It remind me why I like DA15 or DA21 hood design so much. Give me a hood like on the picture, and it'll never leave the drawer.

10-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Honestly the hood destroy completely the benefit of FA20 being lightweight small... It remind me why I like DA15 or DA21 hood design so much. Give me a hood like on the picture, and it'll never leave the drawer.
The hood is thin and has a case. Slips in any old unused slot in my bag. I (anyway) take my A20/2.8 intentionally (unlike the FA Limiteds, which are always in my K-1 bag), having something specific in mind to photograph.

But don't go by my opinion. I'm not an experienced pro. I just enjoy taking pictures with random lenses.
10-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Interestingly, there are two copies of this photo on my flickr.... the version one clicks through to from the picture above was run through "piccureplus".... the one next to it in flickr wasn't...... the foot focus is a bit more obvious in the one that wasn't (that original got explored by flickr anyway...maybe flickr has a foot fetish).
Just want to make sure you know that I very much appreciate the excellence of the photo. The "explore" on Flickr is well-deserved. The only reason I brought attention to the point of focus was in regard to the difficulty in actually finding focus as one goes. wide.

Steve
10-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The hood is thin and has a case. Slips in any old unused slot in my bag. I (anyway) take my A20/2.8 intentionally (unlike the FA Limiteds, which are always in my K-1 bag), having something specific in mind to photograph.

But don't go by my opinion. I'm not an experienced pro. I just enjoy taking pictures with random lenses.
This by no way a criticism of your practice but more my dislike for big lenses or in that case big hood that make lenses bigger. Everybody choose for himself for sure

This is not only the bag, this is also the look you get with that. Nobody notice you if you have a DA15 or FA77 and a K3 even if the body is already quite big. They don't notice you because the lens is small, look small and it look like standard diminutive camera device. It doesn't scream "I'am taking photos of you" or "I am a pro photographer, beware". But with a big behemoh of a hood like on the picture, everybody will notice you. This is unnusual and big. With the hood on the lens look like it is 2 or 3 time as big.

10-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #50
Site Supporter

This by no way a criticism of your practice but more my dislike for big lenses or in that case big hood that make lenses bigger. Everybody choose for himself for sure

This is not only the bag, this is also the look you get with that. Nobody notice you if you have a DA15 or FA77 and a K3 even if the body is already quite big. They don't notice you because the lens is small, look small and it look like standard diminutive camera device. It doesn't scream "I'am taking photos of you" or "I am a pro photographer, beware". But with a big behemoh of a hood like on the picture, everybody will notice you. This is unnusual and big. With the hood on the lens look like it is 2 or 3 time as big.

Well, if you look again at Kerrowdowns' photo, it does make the body look smaller ("even if the body is already quite big") -- LOL.

Personally, I like the pie plate hood (and case). [DISCLAIMER: This opinion has absolutely nuthin' to do with the fact that I have such a hood and case already. Riiiiight...]

Don't forget, at least for some of us, having the jen-you-wine "PENTAX" dedicated accessory is always important, and we should not have to apologize for that.

[I will admit, however, that the need for such a large hood on an APS-C body is not high...]
10-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Well, if you look again at Kerrowdowns' photo, it does make the body look smaller ("even if the body is already quite big") -- LOL.

Personally, I like the pie plate hood (and case). [DISCLAIMER: This opinion has absolutely nuthin' to do with the fact that I have such a hood and case already. Riiiiight...]

Don't forget, at least for some of us, having the jen-you-wine "PENTAX" dedicated accessory is always important, and we should not have to apologize for that.

[I will admit, however, that the need for such a large hood on an APS-C body is not high...]
Oh you certainly don't have to apologise
10-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Thanks Sandy....

---------- Post added 02-10-16 at 09:33 PM ----------

Interestingly, there are two copies of this photo on my flickr.... the version one clicks through to from the picture above was run through "piccureplus".... the one next to it in flickr wasn't...... the foot focus is a bit more obvious in the one that wasn't (that original got explored by flickr anyway...maybe flickr has a foot fetish).

I'm trialing Piccureplus at the moment.... it seems to do what it says....maybe 1 in 3 shots really benefit from being run through it....probally will spend the $100 on it.
Reading you I tried it but while there some noticable improvement, this is not night and day neither with standard DxO tools.

10-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Like this...
Yep and it looks good on the lens as well!!

Phil.

---------- Post added 10-02-16 at 09:52 AM ----------

Don't forget, at least for some of us, having the jen-you-wine "PENTAX" dedicated accessory is always important,
+1 Yep very true!

Phil.
10-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, bragging rights are worth something. FWIW, I made a special purchase to attain the dedicated hood for my Tamron 28/2.5 (02B). It too is of the pie-plate variety and extends below the camera bottom plate. It works well, but no better than smaller diameter generic hoods. Still, though...

Steve
10-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #55
Ric
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A forum member on this thread alerted me to a Pentax FA 20mm 2.8 on ricardo.ch.
Pentax SMC-FA 20mm f/2.8 in Fällanden kaufen bei ricardo.ch
It has been listed for a number of weeks now with no bids. While I don't doubt the integrity of the seller, I am hesitant to pursue a purchase from so far away, Switzerland in this case. Anyone have any experience/advice for pursuing this. I am concerned about duty fees, communication, money transfer, etc.
Thanks
10-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ric Quote
A forum member on this thread alerted me to a Pentax FA 20mm 2.8 on ricardo.ch.
Pentax SMC-FA 20mm f/2.8 in Fällanden kaufen bei ricardo.ch
It has been listed for a number of weeks now with no bids. While I don't doubt the integrity of the seller, I am hesitant to pursue a purchase from so far away, Switzerland in this case. Anyone have any experience/advice for pursuing this. I am concerned about duty fees, communication, money transfer, etc.
Thanks
The lens isn't certainly worth it at this price. Its price bumped with FF because Pentax has no alternative new, that's all. With the custom etc you may end up paying $1000 for some used lens without much warranty.

Not that long ago, I think it price was more about 500-600€.

And then what will happen when Pentax will have a modern DFA20 ltd for similar price you paid for but with much better performance and options for 3 year warranty?
10-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #57
Ric
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good point!
09-10-2017, 01:00 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Its price bumped with FF because Pentax has no alternative new, that's all. With the custom etc you may end up paying $1000 for some used lens without much warranty.
I'd pay 440€ including 90€ customs just this month.
09-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't quite understand..... isn't it real easy? Seems that way at 20mm to me.
Well I'm very happy with my K 20mm f/4 and my 21mm Distagon f/2.8 and find auto focus unnecessary with those lens. I guess that means that, like you, I have a "higher tolerance to missed focus"

Last edited by sibyrnes; 09-11-2017 at 01:32 PM.
11-28-2018, 12:55 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I might consider selling my FA20/2.8
Make me a wildly inflated offer
Still got that FA20 Sandy?