Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The article is irrelevant. My point is that nearly every player in nearly every (*) gym {most without strobe} has at least one relative with a camera. High ISO makes a lot more sense than does $$$$ lens - and that is the direction camera makers, including Pentax with the K-70, seem to be going in.

(*) and there are a lot of gyms just in Indiana, to say nothing of the rest of the U.S., to say nothing of the rest of the world
I think it is quite relevant. There were other articles from smaller papers showing how they use strobes as well. It puts in perspective that sometimes a fast lens and high ISO combined don't give you the look you want despite the advances.

09-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Without a doubt, the advances in sensor technology has changed the way one can approach lens acquisition. My own example of this is my pending acquisition of the F4 DA*60-250 with intended usage indoors on full frame K-1 (as well as not too heavy lens to take on hikes/walks). I think it should do as well as my old F2.8 DA*50-135 did on my K-3.

If you're mostly interested in landscape photography, there is little need for buying fast glass, anyway if your slow glass performs well (such as the DFA 28-105 on FF or the DA 16-85 on APSC).

That said, one thing that won't change (anyway in the foreseeable future) is the need for wide apertures for artistic shallow depth of field purposes, portraits, etc.
Those are my thoughts...
Daryl
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
How important is lens speed with the great improvement image quality at higher ISOs? Won't these higher ISO capabilities render some of the faster lens speeds moot?

I ask as I am getting prepared (pending okay from the exchequer) to do some equipment shopping.

Thanks for all thoughts.
09-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
This has become a very interesting discussion with, obviously, some divergent opinions. If I am understanding it correctly, for those of us with average needs, ISO will do the trick; for those whose needs are demanding (e.g. printing large), the speed becomes critical.

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
That said, one thing that won't change (anyway in the foreseeable future) is the need for wide apertures for artistic shallow depth of field purposes, portraits, etc.
Those are my thoughts...
Daryl
And yet there are some programs such as MacPhun's Focus2 Pro which allows doing somewhat e simulation of shallow DOF in post processing. It won't necessarily give you the exact result you would like, but it "ain't" bad.

Perhaps what I am reading is that the technology could be changing the conventional wisdom about lenses. Perhaps alternate tools are starting to replace the concern for speed?