Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Which Would You Choose?

I have an ME Super that I am outfitting as something of an indoor portrait/snapshot body. I like using 50mm and 55mm lenses for these types of photos. I have only screwmount lenses right now, but am thinking of getting a 50mm M-series lens just for the ME Super. I have an adapter, and can use my 50 and 55 Takumars on the ME Super. However, this would then require the added step of stopping down before shooting the picture (I use a light meter for metering). I like to focus (especially indoors where it is dim) with the lens wide open, but then I would have to remember to stop down before shooting, which can slip my mind on occasion. I have a credit with KEH that would cover the cost of a nice 50mm M-series. It would also cover the cost of a nice 105/2.8 Super Takumar.

What sould I do? I am a bit skeptical about the 105 Tak--not about its optics, but about having to stop down before shooting and about its usability in mostly hand-held situations. The ME Super setup will be for hand-held shots (the vast majority of the time). I have a steady hand, but always feel less steady with longer lenses...

The 50s and 55s work great as tele lenses: step forward a bit (with their 1.5' capability), and get almost the same shot as an 85 or 105.

Thanks,
Glen

07-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a dilemma! I'm with you on this... the convenience of the K mount but the duplication of focal length, vs. an excellent 105 that is one of the good ones. The K-M 50/1.7 is what you are looking at? It has a great rep as you no doubt have seen already. I have one that came with the KX. I would say neither lens is shabby optically.

Now here's another thought - does KEH have an A 50? That would give you the most forward automation in a mf lens.
07-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I am looking at an M 50/1.7. Yes, it is quite a dilemma. Part of its involves what you have cited in regard to the lenses, and the other part is the matter of not having to remember to stop down before shooting with the M on the ME Super body. I will take a look at their stock of A 50s, too, and get back to you. The A-series would benefit my ZX-M bodes--although, both of my ZX-Ms have been outfitted for Takumar use (i.e. with adapters). Perhaps I should mention that I do not like taking out the adapter. For some it may be easy--and require only "a fingernail"--but for me it is rather cumbersome. Besides, I would rather not keep inserting and removing something.

Regards,
Glen
07-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I did some poking around KEH also, and how about splitting the difference with a M 100/2.8? Over at Stan's most love it, though one says it isn't quite as good as the 105.

07-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thank you for poking around a bit. Well, I "split the difference," but not in the exact manner you have suggested. Actually, I took your earier suggestion of going with an A/50. After you mentioned this, I went over, once again, the tests of the A and M 50s. I had forgotten that the A 50/2 had done so well in Mr. Wasti's tests. In fact, it clearly outperformed the M 50/1.7.

Hence, since the A 50/2 was cheaper than the M 50/1.7, I was able to go for both the A 50/2 and the Super Tak 105/2.8.

I should have known this, though, as the best shot I have ever taken was taken with an A 50/2. I got this lens with my first ZX-M kit. I should have held onto that lens. Well, now I will have another. Interestingly, the picture is of the Bodie Island lighthouse in North Carolina. The A 50/2 produced beautiful, natural, non-exaggerated color and superb sharpness, too. I will head back that way later this year, and so I will have another shot at taking my favorite shot--this time with a tripod.

Regards,
Glen

Last edited by zx-m; 07-22-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
07-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

WOO HOO!!! Who says this isn't the best of all possible worlds Congratulations!
07-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I, too, and charged up about it, Nesster. Now all I have to do is wait for KEH to process my return. Once this is complete (hopefully this week), they will then send the A 50/2 and ST 105/2.8.
07-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the 50/1.7 and a 2X teleconverter

07-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would go for the 50 as well...more later, I need to get to work.. ''sigh''
07-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I too use a ME super as a single lens snapshot camera. Because most of my use is outdoors, I went with a M35mm f2. A little bigger than I hoped, but I like the extra stop.
Good luck, Ryan
07-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thank all of you for your input. Indeed, the 50mm lens is a great all-around lens. In some circles, it is a rather maligned lens--perhaps because some fancy themselves as being above using a standard lens. Also, in my view, the A 50/2 is the most underrated lens on earth.
07-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I would agree with you Glenn. I'm seeing this late but I think you got the best deal after all. Both are excellent lenses.

BTW, the 2 ME Super arrived today in excellent shape. meter readings match my Hand Held meter and the seals look good. One came with an m50 f1.7 attached by coincidence. I haven't shot with one of those lenses in a long time and look forward to testing it out.

Now off to buy some film....
07-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I would agree with you Glenn. I'm seeing this late but I think you got the best deal after all. Both are excellent lenses.

BTW, the 2 ME Super arrived today in excellent shape. meter readings match my Hand Held meter and the seals look good. One came with an m50 f1.7 attached by coincidence. I haven't shot with one of those lenses in a long time and look forward to testing it out.

Now off to buy some film....
Hey Peter, am I hearing / reading right? You are adding film back to your arsenal?
07-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes Javier. it's been awhile. I've had an SFX for some time (before the PZ-1 actually) but I really don't like that camera much. Takes fine pictures but cosmetically and the interface both suck.

So now there are a pair of ME Supers sitting on the desk waiting for me to go to the store for film. I think B&W will be the first try.

Edit. Only fitting that my 4000th post would be about shooting film.
07-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yes Javier. it's been awhile. I've had an SFX for some time (before the PZ-1 actually) but I really don't like that camera much. Takes fine pictures but cosmetically and the interface both suck.

So now there are a pair of ME Supers sitting on the desk waiting for me to go to the store for film. I think B&W will be the first try.

Edit. Only fitting that my 4000th post would be about shooting film.
That is so cool. I can't wait to see what you come with. I know it will good.