Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Question about backward compatability & other non-Pentax lenses

I've been reading this board for about a month now but am new to the Pentax world. I just ordered my K200D with a couple lenses and lots of accessories a few days ago, should be delivered soon. I've really enjoyed the info here but there is one thing that I still find confusing.

There is a lot of references to older Pentax lenses and even third party lenses such as Takumar, Vivitar, Sears and so on. When I'm looking at used lenses how do I know if a particular lens will work with my K200D? Will all older Pentax lenses work and would I need adapters?

Here's an example. I saw a 50mm Asahi Super-Takumar, a 28mm auto Lentar, a 200mm Accura Supertel and a Lentar 2x converter for sale, all had been used on an older Pentax 35mm film camera. How would I know if these will work on my new camera?

Are there good internet sites that explain about lens compatibility from different third party manufacturers and any adapters that may or may not be required?

Thanks everyone,

Damon

07-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Moo

It's pretty much as simple as... If it worked on a bayonet (K..) mount Pentax, it'll work fine on the K200D as it is.. If it worked on a screw (M42) mount pentax, it'll work fine once you have the M42 K-mount adapter.
07-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're looking on eBay, then look out for lenses that say any of the following when refering to the mount:

K
PK
PKA, PK-A, PK/A
Pentax
M42

Like Moo said, they all fit on your Pentax camera without adapters, except for the M42 mounts, which do require one. Also bear in mind that non 'A' lenses will require stop-down metering and all of them will be manual focus.

Be careful with the term "bayonet", as Nikon, for example, also have a bayonet mount, and in older lenses it looks deceptively like the K mount. You can see photos of the most common mounts here.
07-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one of the best resourses I have found and since I am lazy at heart, it is easier to provide you with a link.

Pentax Lens/Camera Compatibility - Mark Roberts Photography

07-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
It's pretty much as simple as... If it worked on a bayonet (K..) mount Pentax, it'll work fine on the K200D as it is.. If it worked on a screw (M42) mount pentax, it'll work fine once you have the M42 K-mount adapter.
Just a note: If the lens does not have an "A" setting on the aperture ring (such as old Pentax K-series and M-series lenses), it will have reduced functionality.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories has a lot of information on Pentax lens history and the different variations of the K mount. ALL K-mount lenses will work on the new Pentax cameras to at least some degree, older ones will have limitations.

One exception: Ricoh used the K-mount for some cameras, but Ricoh-K lens variants can get stuck on modern Pentax SLRs.
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

also note that while some lenses will physicaly BOLT to your camera because the mount fits, they may have trouble focusing to infinity because the internal focusing mechanism does not reach the required distance.

this however can be fixed by "tweaking" the lens
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
also note that while some lenses will physicaly BOLT to your camera because the mount fits, they may have trouble focusing to infinity because the internal focusing mechanism does not reach the required distance.

this however can be fixed by "tweaking" the lens
I thought this was only a problem with the "thick" M42 adapters?
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check the incompatibility warnings section of the Roberts site for specific things that WON'T make you happy: primarily the Ricoh program lenses. (The earlier aperture priority Ricoh cameras had lenses with no compatibility issues: so this applies to the cameras as well as lenses. I'd steer away from program Ricoh anything.)

p.s. once, in a fit of brain freeze, I bought a great Vivitar 200mm lens with a "K/A" mount... thinking it was a Pentax K/A... wondered a bit about the aperture ring having an 'E' (I think) instead of the "A" setting... but it was a Vivitar so who knows. Got it home: it is a KonicA mount! Well, I mounted it anyway on the K100D, max focus was like 25 feet, but damnit I took a picture or two!

Non AI Nikon lenses will mount (upside down) and even focus to infinity. But why would you?

07-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I thought this was only a problem with the "thick" M42 adapters?
i have two lenses in my own personal posession that dont focus to infinity

a CIMKO 28mm F2.8 and a Chinon 50mm F1.9

the chinon now focuses to infinity... and a little bit PAST infinity
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter

That's not completely true with some 3rd party lens. For example I have to copies of a Sears 135mm lens that I bought new. One works perfectly on my k200d and the other won't mount and nearly jams to boot. The same with a sears 70-210 lens I tried. However, I've never had problems with a Tokina, Tamron Adaptall 2 p/k or p/ka, Vivitar Series 1 105mm, or Focal 28mm. The issue that I experienced I suspect is related to the fact that the Sears K mount was also set up for Ricoh. I haven't had any problems using the Pentax branded screw mount adapter either.
07-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
. . .
the chinon now focuses to infinity... and a little bit PAST infinity
I love it when that happens!
07-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That's not completely true with some 3rd party lens. For example I have to copies of a Sears 135mm lens that I bought new. One works perfectly on my k200d and the other won't mount and nearly jams to boot. The same with a sears 70-210 lens I tried.
I would say that doesn't exactly fit my..
If it worked on a bayonet (K..) mount Pentax, it'll work fine on the K200D as it is..
07-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Makes a lot more sense to me now.

Damon