Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote
I've been reading on PentaxLife.com an article that requests follow-ons to the K100D to be able to use USM lenses like the star series.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether the star lenses will work with the K100D/K110D?
it will work, but it will just use the bodies focus motor and not the lenses itself..(the k100/k110 does not have the contact for it, k10d is the first to have it, and what Adam said, like using a power zoom lens on a none power zoom body, it just wont use that feature set)

02-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #17
sft

Photos: Gallery
Interesting

First post here BTW (I post a lot over in DPreview - my name is Sinan by the way and I shoot a K10).

I think its indeed quite smart that Pentax would give the DA* lenses a larger image circle to provide better edge sharpness - quite impressed by this - I never read about this over in the DPreview forums. Of course unless Pentax have a trick up their sleeve or something as far as a larger sensor goes but then why APS-H - the current DA's won't work which is why I think indeed the larger circle is purely for optical performance which sounds promising IMO.

Im also considering getting the DA16-45 since with the rebate this lens can be had for $300 - very tempting as my wide angle lens is currently the DA18-55. I do hope Pentax will have working DA* lenses at PMA for people to test and also I hope pricing is announced soon!
02-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote
I've heard the 16-45 compared to Canon L glass. I don't know how valid that is but I'm starting to wonder if it's possible for the 16-50 to have any advantage over the 16-45 other than speed.

Is there any chance the 16-50 star will be sharper than the 16-45? Is it even possible?

Any gut feelings or educated guesses?
The 16-45 is quite "sharp" but it is by no means can rival true L glass of Canon. What you heard about this may be just wishful thinking of the people who really loves their lens, enough said.

I'm sure that the 16-50 will be sharper, otherwise it cannot be marked as a Star lens. So, to compare Pentax Star against Canon L would be a more realistic thing to do.

Remember, you get what you paid for.
02-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Haha Canon Marketing 101?

Then why would people (Canon users included) still go through the fuss to buy a screw mount adapter and use pentax/takumar screwmount lenses? Say why not just buy a Canon 50/1.4?

"Remember, you get what you paid for."

Yes, you get like what? ..40% of the money going into the glass, other technicals..and then the rest?

...you get a nice shiny metallic logo, a painted red rims, some alphabits, and of course..bragging rights. Good job.

Last edited by FotoPete; 02-21-2007 at 09:49 AM.
02-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

DA 16-45/4 vs. DA*16-50/2.8

Some of you I'm sure have already seen this. Ned Bunnell's the VP of Marketing at Pentax USA and posted some comparison shots of the two lenses on his blog.

NED BUNNELL: Lens size: 16-50 vs 16-45

Whaddya think?
02-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's great that he posted some additional photos of it- I really like the gold DA* tab on the side

Don't you think we should merge this thread with the other one?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sure, why not.
02-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #23

Wich of theese two lenses is sharpest and generally best at f8?
Ned, do you know? Can you tell?

You see, It dont think it has has to be optically better.

Cato

02-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

At F8, it would be generally hard to tell most lenses apart. Its usually at the extreme ends of the zoom and wide open do you see larger deviations in lens quality.
02-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Isn't it interesting that the new "star" series will work with a 1.3 sensor...Hmmm a sign of things to come?

Ben
Hope you are right. It would get me to buy not only the body but these new* lenses.
Regards,
02-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #26

Here is link to lens size comparation: DA16-45/4 & DA*16-50/2,8

NED BUNNELL: Lens size: 16-50 vs 16-45

DA*16-50/2,8 have external zoom !!!
02-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Tom, I've been worrying about this all along. I was afraid that Pentax would put the USM motors in the lenses but pass on a link to the in-body motors of the K100/K110D and the *ist Dx series bodies. But if you read the press release carefully you will see that the inbody focus link IS there so the lenses can be used full function with the older bodies.

NaCl(hope that answers your question)H2O
03-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Tom, I've been worrying about this all along. I was afraid that Pentax would put the USM motors in the lenses but pass on a link to the in-body motors of the K100/K110D and the *ist Dx series bodies. But if you read the press release carefully you will see that the inbody focus link IS there so the lenses can be used full function with the older bodies.

NaCl(hope that answers your question)H2O
From everything I'm reading the USM motor only works with the K10D, but I would love to have the USM motor work with my old *ist DS.

I'm buying the * 16-50mm anyways, as it's the perfect focal length range for me, and since I shoot indoors without a flash a lot, the extra price and glass is worth it.

-Ed