Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #1

DA 16-45 vs DA* 16-50

I know the star isn't out yet but I'm beginning to see that I don't really need the f2.8 speed of the star.

I've heard the 16-45 compared to Canon L glass. I don't know how valid that is but I'm starting to wonder if it's possible for the 16-50 to have any advantage over the 16-45 other than speed.

Is there any chance the 16-50 star will be sharper than the 16-45? Is it even possible?

Any gut feelings or educated guesses?

02-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #2

Maybe true, but the new one will have a star.
02-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
clm

USM(whatever Pentax calls it) and weathersealing.
02-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

I thought the whole point of a body based SR system is being able to use it with all lenses?

02-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_Watso Quote
I thought the whole point of a body based SR system is being able to use it with all lenses?
Don't read too much into my post. I always thought the USM was part of the IS feature fo the lens but I've been reading that it's an auto focus motor technology.
02-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote
I know the star isn't out yet but I'm beginning to see that I don't really need the f2.8 speed of the star.

I've heard the 16-45 compared to Canon L glass. I don't know how valid that is but I'm starting to wonder if it's possible for the 16-50 to have any advantage over the 16-45 other than speed.

Is there any chance the 16-50 star will be sharper than the 16-45? Is it even possible?

Any gut feelings or educated guesses?
I think the * should be a notch or two as far as sharpness, etc over the regular lens.

as far as 2.8, if you do any low light work, indoor sports, indoor natural light, or just capturing some action on darker days, then that is where the 2.8 will shine compared to the F4.0 of the 16-45.
the 2.8 also makes a big difference when you are doing portraits for background blur.

hope this helps

cheers

randy
02-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

usm=ultra sonic motor (in lens motor)
nikon and canon have them on their lenses. makes for a quieter/faster focusing operation. as far as the DA* is concerned, it will have USM, and weather sealing.
and judging by past "*" designations, image quality, construction, etc, etc, will be a cut above the rest.

having a 2.8 will be good, give you better flexibility...
02-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote

having a 2.8 will be good, give you better flexibility...
...oh, and a brighter image in the viewfinder, too.

02-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Biggest advantage

(IF) as pentax like to call it, this lens the 16-50 should be an internal focus, internal Zoom, which should make the lens so it doesn't change external proportions while focusing or zooming, makes it a touch larger to begin with but you never risk hitting the front on a close object when you zoom out at close to minimum focus distance (:P) it should also make the lens easier to seal as there is no expansion and contraction of the total volume of the lens, so no sucking air in and out.
02-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

ALL DA* lenses will have sealing, a larger image circle is being reported too (APS-H or about a 1.3X factor) also they will have in-lens AF motors, and should be on par w/ the FA* lenses of the past
THe longest lenses will most likely be DFA's because the longer the lens, the larger image circle needed for SR to work. Thus it is suspected that the high-end telephotos and all over 200mm will be DA* and DFA lenses. 300mm+ will probaly be all DFA
02-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmmmm 1.3

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
ALL DA* lenses will have sealing, a larger image circle is being reported too (APS-H or about a 1.3X factor) also they will have in-lens AF motors, and should be on par w/ the FA* lenses of the past
THe longest lenses will most likely be DFA's because the longer the lens, the larger image circle needed for SR to work. Thus it is suspected that the high-end telephotos and all over 200mm will be DA* and DFA lenses. 300mm+ will probaly be all DFA
Isn't it interesting that the new "star" series will work with a 1.3 sensor...Hmmm a sign of things to come?

Ben
02-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
ALL DA* lenses will have sealing, a larger image circle is being reported too (APS-H or about a 1.3X factor)
Where is this reported, please?
02-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
(IF) as pentax like to call it, this lens the 16-50 should be an internal focus, internal Zoom, which should make the lens so it doesn't change external proportions while focusing or zooming, makes it a touch larger to begin with but you never risk hitting the front on a close object when you zoom out at close to minimum focus distance (:P) it should also make the lens easier to seal as there is no expansion and contraction of the total volume of the lens, so no sucking air in and out.
IF does not suggest internal zooming (only internal focusing), and only a select few lenses have both.

What would the point of an APS-H sensor be considering all the DA lenses produced to date? IMO Pentax should either go for full-frame (the development of which they abandoned upon the release of the DS, as per my observation) or APS-C as they are currently.

The larger image circle could, however, be justified by the fact that corner resolution is always lower than center resolution. Since Pentax wants the DA*'s (like all star lenses) to deliver the best in performance, they might as well increase the image quality on APS-C bodies by utilizing the mostly only the center portion of the frame all the while excluding FF/film cameras. Just a thought...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #14

Original Poster
I've been reading on PentaxLife.com an article that requests follow-ons to the K100D to be able to use USM lenses like the star series.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether the star lenses will work with the K100D/K110D?
02-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Of course they'll work with the K100D/K110D! Why shouldn't they?

It's just like using power zoom lenses on non-power zoom bodies

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: