Forum Member

Scores meaning in the Lens Reviews

Lens review:
What are the lens review scores mean?
For example the lens Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
The shown scores are:
Sharpness 7.2
Autofocus 6.3

Does 6.3 for autofocus mean that only for 63 photos out of 100 AF worked?
or
only 63 users out of 100 like the lens autofocus?
or
only 63 photos out of 100 are in focus?

Thank you
Leo

09-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
6.3 means the person reviewing it only gives it a 6.3 out of 10 possible points. Ten being the best.
09-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A purely subjective numerical scale.

Go with the comments as they apply to your experience and needs -- with a touch of salt.

I'd prefer a simpler scale of 'Not Recommended Because...', 'Satisfactory for MY uses as noted', or 'Highly Recommended as noted' backed by explicit comments attributable to a reputable person.

(If you ever got a B- or ... ? in school you'll understand.
09-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The user comments are always more valuable. Especially since one bad score can seriously affect the rating of a not very popular lens. IF the person does what you do what he says is worth way more than if he does something different. For example with a 70-200 some may use t for organized sports, some may use it for wildlife, if you plan to use it for sports, the wildlife reviews are not as important.

09-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It is not objective laboratory test. It is user's feelings. Do not look at numbers as "OMG SO IMPORTANT", instead, look at the review text and sample photos.
09-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

any time that I am thinking about a lens, I read the lens reviews here, but I also look at flickr for a wide selection of shots by that lens...
09-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They're averages. Anyone reviewing the lens gets to (or has to?) give a rating from 1 to 10 (whole numbers only) for the different categories. These are averaged and put at the top of the section for that lens, complete with little bars and colours to make it look authoritative. As mentioned, it's pretty subjective how an individual reviewer rates a lens (you could use a ten sided die if you wanted) and their experiences will all vary so take these subjective numbers with a grain of salt. The comments in these reviews are far more enlightening than the numerical scores assigned. Also as mentioned, these shouldn't be your sole means of evaluating a lens you're considering purchasing.
09-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is what the others said. Basically, if I am doing a review, I am trying to rate the lens in a number of different categories -- build, auto focus, sharpness and contrast, etc. The numbers come in because the site asks you to put a number on the performance in those areas too. So, a 10 would be the best performance -- say prime sharpness wide open, while a 1 would be horrible, unusable performance. Most modern lenses are in the upper end of that scale with decent performance stopped down a stop.

As Norm says, the actual reviews are probably more useful than the numbers/.

09-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
any time that I am thinking about a lens, I read the lens reviews here, but I also look at flickr for a wide selection of shots by that lens...
Thank you! The link points to the helpful complete and detailed reviews.

---------- Post added 09-23-16 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is what the others said. Basically, if I am doing a review, I am trying to rate the lens in a number of different categories -- build, auto focus, sharpness and contrast, etc. The numbers come in because the site asks you to put a number on the performance in those areas too. So, a 10 would be the best performance -- say prime sharpness wide open, while a 1 would be horrible, unusable performance. Most modern lenses are in the upper end of that scale with decent performance stopped down a stop.

As Norm says, the actual reviews are probably more useful than the numbers/.
I often use DXO lens reviews. They rate sharpness in the equivalent megapixels. In one case my good lens 55-300 on K-50 shows 6Mp equivalent and the 50-200 is about the same, however 50-200 is very poor lens. The posted on forum numbers sound as average values for a poor lens. I agree the detailed review would be a better place to understand the lens quality.
Tank you to ALL!
Leo

---------- Post added 09-23-16 at 10:39 PM ----------

I have got the idea. Switching to the Forum detailed reviews!
Thank you.
Leo
09-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Most lenses here rate in the 8-9.5 range. People tend to be optimistic. So 6.3 is a VERY BAD rating on Pentax forum. if there more than a few reviewers, this likely mean the lens is far from being good.

But as other said, this is very subjective. People typically include price, their own bias/expectations so that a low end lens that get a 9 might actually be significantly worse than a premium lens that get a 8. Things like AF or sharpness evolve over time: more recent body give better performance but a 100% crop can look a bit softer... Different sample of the same lens may also get quite different results. It is not uncommon for a good sample of a 400$ prime to perform better than a bad sample of a 1400$ one (see lensrental findings on this) but the 1400$ one is less likely to have a bad sample too.

The best way is to look at several formal reviews (lenstip, photozone, DxO...), take a look a forums/user reviews and also very importantly, look at the sample image you can find on the net. Better if you can get full resolution pictures. That's very informative.

In the end, that the picture you get that matter and that's why you should not take a decision from formal reviews alone.