Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by suro Quote
DA70 and DA77 at the f2.4 have similar picture

Very very similar, I've seen excellent images from both (like the two you posted earlier!), the differences between my two were very subtle. Neither lens is superior to the other, it was a lot of testing for me to decide between them, although I was leaning toward one just for the focal length by itself. The two lenses mostly support just a bunch of subtle differences, like the focal length and aperture and handling and whether or not you want to mount it on a film body, stuff like that. And while the images looked extremely similar on my computer, I noticed more subtleties when post processing and printing the images, that gave me a preference of one over the other as well, but another photographer preferred the DA70 over the FA77 looking at the same images, so he bought the DA70.

Just another choice to make, and luckily between these two, you can't go wrong either way.

07-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Very very similar, I've seen excellent images from both (like the two you posted earlier!), the differences between my two were very subtle. Neither lens is superior to the other, it was a lot of testing for me to decide between them, although I was leaning toward one just for the focal length by itself. The two lenses mostly support just a bunch of subtle differences, like the focal length and aperture and handling and whether or not you want to mount it on a film body, stuff like that. And while the images looked extremely similar on my computer, I noticed more subtleties when post processing and printing the images, that gave me a preference of one over the other as well, but another photographer preferred the DA70 over the FA77 looking at the same images, so he bought the DA70.

Just another choice to make, and luckily between these two, you can't go wrong either way.
Yeah! And you can made more similar picture by tuning your camera setting, like sharp, contrast etc
07-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Pentax 70mm /2.4 Limited, without any correction, in hard light at f2.4:

+0.7ev

+0.0ev

+1.0ev

Last edited by suro; 07-27-2008 at 11:02 AM.
07-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mabelsound Quote
Suro, those portraits are amazingly crisp, thank you!
You're welcome

07-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA 77mm 1.8 vs Da 70mm 2.4

Nice shots Suro.

Both the 77 and 70 are fine lenses. I have the DA 70 and I'm very well pleased with it. Augustmoon is right - there appears to be little to choose between the two from what I have seen in this forum. Klaus Schiroff of Photozone has done extensive testing of both lenses and came to essentially the same conclusion:

Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Review / Test Report

There is just no wrong choice here. From my perspective the extra speed of the 77 would be nice and could be the deciding factor if a little extra speed is important to your type of photography.

Tom G.

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-27-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
07-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice shots Suro.

Both the 77 and 70 are fine lenses. I have the DA 70 and I'm very well pleased with it. Augustmoon is right - there appears to be little to choose between the two from what I have seen in this forum. Klaus Schiroff of Photozone has done extensive testing of both lenses and came to essentially the same conclusion:

Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Review / Test Report

There is just no wrong choice here. From my perspective the extra speed of the 77 would be nice and could be the deciding factor if a little extra speed is important to your type of photography.

Tom G.
Thanks! Price of this lens is more different than quality of picture

P.S. Anyway, the Helios 40-2 is more well for portraits
07-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #37
Inactive Account

The 77 rules all !

Here's some more sample shots for you. Good luck waiting for it's arrival!

c[_]

07-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
I don't believe that he (photozone) thought the DA70 was a better lens, I believe he said that the data showed the DA70 is a bit better technically. .

Photozone must have had a less than optimum sample of the 77 Limited in my opinion...
07-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #39
Forum Member

As to the original question: seeing is believing. I bought the 77 Ltd because of it's raving reviews (from users, not pixel peepers) and I must say that the lens has something special. Or maybe it's the other way around: because the photographer sees the lens as something special, the lens brings out the best in the photographer.

Anyway: you can't go wrong with the 77 Ltd. Build quality is very fine, optics are great and purple fringing only shows in some extreme cases.