Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Picture quality question

So I've got my new camera, and have been playing around. I've taken a few pictures, but I'm not sure if they are as clear as I'm expecting, or if I'm just being over critical. Here is one picture that I took. Here are some details...

Res 3008 x 2008
1/180 sec exposure time
F4.0
ISO 200
Manually focused. I don't think that's it, as I took a few with manual and auto, and similar results.

So am I just being critial, or is it because it's a cheaper lense? This was also hand held, not on a tripod. Lense is a SMC Pentax -FA 1:3.5-4.7 28-80.

07-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate to dump on a lens but that is by far your biggest problem. This lens is notoriously soft. I have one and could not sell it with a clear head. It now sits on my desk as a paperweight.

I could offer a few suggestions in this focal range to replace it if you have the budget. Even the Kit 18-55mm lens is much better than the 28-80.
07-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Try shooting in RAW at somewhere close to F8 or 9. You are stretching the limits of the lens at f4. Add some sharpening in PP. As peter said, it's not a great lens so some PP compensation is needed.
07-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I'm glad to hear that you both agree it's a lens issue. I expected that would be the answer, as I looked in the lense review area, and it did not show up as a great lense. I've got that one, and also a Magnicon 70 - 210 1:4-5.6, and I expect it's the same. I'll use these lenses till I can afford something good. I mostly wanted to make sure it was not an issue with the camera. Didn't think it was, now I'm happy I checked.

07-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

i'm willing to bet you can find a Kit lens for $60 or so right here in our marketplace. I even have one with a Polarizer and uv filter I might sell. good little performer, not the best lens around but very good none the less.
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think, in all fairness to the lens, and I have to admit that I paid an incrediby high price for my copy of this lens ( I think it was $10) complaining about image quality wide open is not really a true indication of what this lens can do.

i have attached a crop out of a shot taken (OK stopped down in sunlight) with my K10. This is with no resizing to show the detail it can deliver.

the entire leaf, from a horse chessnut, is this sharp, across the entire image and with good depth of field.

Maybe I am a little defensive of spending so much on a lens, but I think it is all about knowing the limits.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 08-24-2008 at 03:36 PM.
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
WOW, that's a lot of money to spend on a lens.

Do you remember what the F-Stop was on this picture? I assume when your saying wide open, your talking about the F4.5. What would you recommend as something reasonable to use with this lens? May sound like a stupid question, but remember I'm a newbie.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think, in all fairness to the lens, and I have to admit that I paid an incrediby high price for my copy of this lens ( I think it was $10) complaining about image quality wide open is not really a true indication of what this lens can do.

i have attached a crop out of a shot taken (OK stopped down in sunlight) with my K10. This is with no resizing to show the detail it can deliver.

the entire leaf, from a horse chessnut, is this sharp, across the entire image and with good depth of field.

Maybe I am a little defensive of spending so much on a lens, but I think it is all about knowing the limits.

07-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
WOW, that's a lot of money to spend on a lens.

Do you remember what the F-Stop was on this picture? I assume when your saying wide open, your talking about the F4.5. What would you recommend as something reasonable to use with this lens? May sound like a stupid question, but remember I'm a newbie.
conditions were Ideal, Bright sunny day, ISO 100, shot at F8 and 1/200 Focal length was 63 mm for this shot.

as I said, I am really defensive about spending so much on a lens

I hope people appreciate the humor of my comment here, but the lens is really not all that bad. As a generalization, most lenses deliver optimum quality images about 2 fstops down from wide open.
07-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think based on this info, for general usage, it should do me for now, but forget about trying to do any macro type work with a full open apature. Maybe good for general landscape, etc. Time to save up for something better. Don't tell my wife.
07-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

50mm f/4 Takumar macro -- it's better than the Pentax M 50mm f/4 macro. It was just plain sharper. Just to compare the same flower and a different lens.
07-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote

50mm f/4 Takumar macro -- it's better than the Pentax M 50mm f/4 macro. It was just plain sharper. Just to compare the same flower and a different lens.
Definately nicer lense. Much sharper, and richer colors.

You can actually see the pollen in yours. Lucky bees!!!
07-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Inactive Account

eccs19,

Try stopping your lens down to f/8 and see how the image quality improves.

Lenses which are sharp wide open generally cost more but are worth the investment.
07-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took this one. I think it was at F8, but EXIF says 6.7 It's is much clearer. I can zoom in, and I'm happy with the way it looks. Picture itself could use some work, but it was just a test shot.

07-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
JMR
Veteran Member

For some reason, my first post on this question is not appearing. My comments are that I am having the same problem regarding softness in my images despite using a tripod. I do have some sharp images with my DA 16-45 Pentax lens, but I am wondering if the antishake feature is affecting the image. I know it should be shut off if using a tripod, but I mostly forget. Does anyone know if the antishake feature can affect the image quality?

See my image in the "Post your photo" section under an "evening walk." It seems I can't post any more photos for the moment. The image was taken with a tripod. It seems soft to me.

JMR