Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

M and A lenses with k10

Read the manuals and searched the net but this rookie is still in a fog.

Got the k10 and have some M and A lenses that I want to use with it. What I have read sounds greek to me. So simply put, how do I use them.

I do have the screw in adapter ( pentax brand)

Thanks,

07-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Look through the pages here, it'll explain all....

K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs] [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

(it covers more then just the K100D)
07-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by houstonmacgregor Quote
Read the manuals and searched the net but this rookie is still in a fog.

Got the k10 and have some M and A lenses that I want to use with it. What I have read sounds greek to me. So simply put, how do I use them.

I do have the screw in adapter ( pentax brand)

Thanks,
Hi houstonmacgregor: Welcome to the best backward compatibility DSLR system on the planet!

For M and A lenses, you do not need a screwmount adapter - they are K Mount lenses and mount directly to your K10D just like any other Pentax made since 1975. You will need the adapter to use screwmount (generally, Super- and SMC-Takumar Pentax lenses, plus third-party M42. Take care to ensure you are not using 3P m39 lenses, a topic for another day.

Instructions for enabling the use of Aperture Ring on manual lenses (K, M and A lenses) are found on Page 33-35 of the Manual (Appendix).

Menu Button >
Custom Settings >
(Down Click 4-Way Conroller)
Using Aperture Ring (I believe this is the last option)
Right Click 4-way Comtroller to fill checkbox
Menu (follow exit prompt in lower right corner of LCD)

Now the camera will permit the shutter to fire when a manual lens is mounted.

On Page 210 of your user manual you can see the functions that ARE enabled when the K, M and A lenses are mounted.

Generally you should use the M (Manual) and Av (Apertuure Priority)modes. You can play with P Mode (Program Line) later.

With a K or M lens you must set the aperture on the lens itself, as with a film camera. Your front and rear e-dials will control your shutter speed and/or ISO. INFO will remind you what does what.

Iin Av the camera will select a shutter speed to suit the aperture selection using stop-down metering. To meter a scene, press the Green Button after you focus and compose. You can preview DoF with the ring around the shutter release (which will also meter the scene).

Using an A lens you can set the lens aperture on "A" and the lens will communicate with the camera the f/stop range available; the camera will permit open-aperture metering and stop the lens down for the shot, just as with an automatic camera.

Using M or Av, you can set the Aperture using the rear e-dial, meter and shoot. The camera will select an appropriate shutter speed.

If I have remembered correctly (and don't count on it) that should give you a start.