Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #1

HD DA Limited Lenses Weather Resistance

I understand that the HD DA Limiteds are not WR rated. Can anyone tell me their experience with these lenses out in the weather. I live in a very rainy climate and will get some moisture on my lenses. How careful do I have to be?

09-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglebeach Quote
I understand that the HD DA Limiteds are not WR rated.
The 20-40 is.
But that's the only one with an internal AF motor.
09-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
I do not own the HD DA 20-40. I know it is WR rated. My question is: Can the HD DA 15/21/35 and 70 tolerate some rain or snow falling on them. Not getting drenched, just light rain or drizzle or snow. Can any one tell me they have had any of these lenses out in the elements where they became wet. If so: what was the outcome? Thanks for your help!
09-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I live in Newfoundland which is the foggiest and one of the wettest places in Canada. I have 3 HD DA Limiteds and a D FA 100 Macro WR. The non WR Limiteds are not designed for being out in wet weather. When shooting in the rain for any period of time I use the D FA 100 WR. If I'm carrying my camera and 21/40/70 combo in rainy weather I use a Dome F-5XB Ruggedwear bag that repels rain with a wax coating. I may take a quick shot or two before putting the camera back in the weather protected bag. If you want sealing the 20-40 will meet your need as lytrytyr has suggested. As it stands I will probably pick up an inexpensive 18-55 WR for inclement weather.

09-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used the DA Limiteds for a couple of years. No problems with the weather, although In general I tend to be fairly careful in how I use the camera in bad weather. However, I have used the Ltds on sand dunes in windy conditions, i.e. lots of dust in the air. Once I was out photographing an ocean storm and got drenched by an unexpected wave. The camera and lens barrel (40mm Ltd) got quite wet with sea water, but I dried it off and no problems. Picture of the storm:

09-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Light rain for short periods only. Light snow as well. Keep a cloth in your camera bag to wipe them down immediately after use.
09-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I take my FA limiteds into humid places and they are fine. A few drops won't kill any lens but don't let it downpour on them.

09-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I live in Vancouver, the greenest and perhaps rainiest metropolis in Canada. I got the 15, 21, 40, and 70mm DA Limiteds and I used them a lot here where the rainy season can last for more than 6 months. They do get lightly wet but I make make sure they do not get really drenched. So far I have not had any problem with any of them.
09-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

Let us remember that (a) WR does not mean water proof, and (b) the concept of WR is a relatively new 'marketing' tool.

Many older, sturdy lenses can withstand very bad weather, albeit TLC - tender love & care - is absolutely necessary. There are few examples and ample discussions at PF: e.g. on the older DA18-250mm taken to the snow, and mountains, without failing. Similarly, short metallic prime lenses are renown for their solidity.

I shoot in bad weather, including sub-tropical storms, on sandy beaches, near the coastlines during strong windstorms.... I have done so for more than 20 years, last 8 years with Pentax SLR(s). I have one WR lens (DA18-135mm WR) and a bunch of non-WR lenses. I take care of my gears incl. the camera and the lenses. I have had no issue, but I do TLC all my materials.

Among my lenses, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm Ltd and DA 15 mm Ltd are among the most solid ones.I am very, very careful with zoom lenses in bad weather and a sleeve + TLC is a requirement in solid rain. More generally, I found that short metallic prime lenses are among the most sturdy lenses.

My 5 cents....
09-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Light rain for short periods only. Light snow as well. Keep a cloth in your camera bag to wipe them down immediately after use.
I've gotten light snow on these lenses, but I try to continuously wipe them down, especially to prevent the rotation while focusing from getting drops inside the lens, underneath the distance scale.
09-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Let us remember that (a) WR does not mean water proof, and (b) the concept of WR is a relatively new 'marketing' tool.

Many older, sturdy lenses can withstand very bad weather, albeit TLC - tender love & care - is absolutely necessary. There are few examples and ample discussions at PF: e.g. on the older DA18-250mm taken to the snow, and mountains, without failing. Similarly, short metallic prime lenses are renown for their solidity.

I shoot in bad weather, including sub-tropical storms, on sandy beaches, near the coastlines during strong windstorms.... I have done so for more than 20 years, last 8 years with Pentax SLR(s). I have one WR lens (DA18-135mm WR) and a bunch of non-WR lenses. I take care of my gears incl. the camera and the lenses. I have had no issue, but I do TLC all my materials.

Among my lenses, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm Ltd and DA 15 mm Ltd are among the most solid ones.I am very, very careful with zoom lenses in bad weather and a sleeve + TLC is a requirement in solid rain. More generally, I found that short metallic prime lenses are among the most sturdy lenses.

My 5 cents....
I think thats absolutely true. Just an example from my side. I was using my 18-55 WR in bad weather conditions without always whiping of the rain / snow und putting it sometimes wet in my camerabag and left it there for some time.
The result was that after about 3 years i noticed fungus behind the front element near the center of the lens.

So even WR wont help you if you overdo it I guess. Learned that for sure...
09-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
These are the responses I am looking for. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.
10-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I had never issues with the limited in bad weather be it a bit of rain, heavy wind with dust a alike. I also think limited lenses to be quite sturdy and them being small primes help.

But the HD 55-300 that is WR while having no issue got quite some dust inside as a matter of zooming at the safari. It doesn't affect its operation at all but it explain that this "WR" is a bit too much exagerated. I do think lenses like 50-135 that are AW would perform better in difficult condition. They don't extend and as such don't act as air suckers. WR or not if you can extend your lens, air goes in.

Small ltd primes, by their design don't suck signficant air volume and as such should be far less sensitive. But be carefull when you switch lenses !