Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2006, 03:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Russian 1100mm f10.5 M42 mirror lens

Long long time ago my father was interested in cameras. He now has 5 SLRs and lenses resting in a drawer. As dSLR user I thought his equipment has no use to me (except sentimental value) So I was looking after second hand lenses on Ebay until one day it crossed my mind that my father ought to have some M42 lenses and so he does. The biggest surprise amongst them was the 1100mm mirror lens he kept in wardrobe. I must say I was very impressed when I held it. See for your self:

Leather box.

It comes with three filters

Wit a DS mounted on it.

I really is big.

As soon as i got Pentax M42 adapter I took some photos. Tripod is a must.

100% crop

10-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow nice! Can you take a moon shot and post it? I'd love to see how this lens would perform.
10-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That almost looks obscene. Freud just turned over in his grave, but that is a hella good find! Please take a moon shot, I would love to see it.
10-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I already tried a moonshot but with the tripod I have the wiew shakes as soon as I touch focusing ring, so it's very hard to focus. Nothing good came out that night. I'll defiintely try again. I hope we'll get some bright nights with clean air here.

In the meantime a true wildlife photo of a joung hawk waiting by the nest to be fed.

And this is how I took it

10-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow- beautiful wildlife capture and setup

That lens appears to be very high-quality- what's the aperture size?

I'm also eager to see the moon shots

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Way to go Matt. Your dad must really be proud to have you follow in his footsteps. First 2 are a bit noisy - did you up the ISO?

I can imagine the shooting you're going to be doing with this glass - probably be the envy of so many. Luck too, in that you have no fungus since the lens was kept away in a wardrobe.

Curious to know too, whether that's your real pix in the avatar - I'm a curious guy what can I say.

Well done and good luck - thanks for sharing this find with us.
10-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Unreal lens (1100mm) WOW what a find. I think it would take 2 D's to mount this monster. I can see the definate need for a tripod. I wonder what it would do on the K100D or the k10D? I bet a moon shot will be spectacular. Thanks for shareing this lens with us, and I hope to see more pictures with it soon.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

10-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Mo: The paerture size is 10,5

@JCSullivan: I used iso800 on all images with this lens plus 200 standard sharpening in Capture One wich boosts noise. Perhaps I should use soft sharpening.
My avatar is me.

The lens has fungus. It probably got them when it was kept in the cellar a long time ago. Father says that they haven't made any progres in the past 10 years. However they don't seem to affect immage quality probably due to size of element.
10-06-2006, 04:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

At ISO 800 I can't see any noise on the falcons' shot, which by the way looks like it has an injured left wing.

"They haven't made progress..." Are you talking about the fungus or Pentax.

I think you're going to have plenty of opportunities with this lense and we're the winners when you share them with us.
10-06-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan:
"They haven't made progress..." Are you talking about the fungus or Pentax.
Why the fungus ofcourse.

The falcon was (and probably still is) in perfect shape. I've been observing the nest since he had no feathers. It was a hot day and he was standing on the sun so it appeared to me that he was trying to cool down a bit.
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow what a beast! Isn't there a similar lens that won't fully mount on the DS because of the overhang of the flash?

The hawk shot looks very impressive, except of course for the donuts in the background. The in focus area looks mighty impressive, though. A little PP on the bokeh and it's a keeper.
10-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Since everyone is wanting a moon-shot, I hope everyone is out there shooting the harvest moon. Don't know about Europe but it was HUGE last night, Friday.

How about Mat, did you have time to setup. As for me, too much light pollution around here.
10-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On friday night the conditions were right and I had time. So here it is at last.
Ladies and gentlemen, the moon shot!!

and 100% crop
10-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
On friday night the conditions were right and I had time. So here it is at last.
Ladies and gentlemen, the moon shot!!
That looks great! I am trying for the moon tonight. My attempts yesterday were frustrating as it was so windy, that even with my heaviest tripod, I could see movement through the viewfinder without even touching the camera. If it doesn't work out tonight either I will just post one I took in June/July when there were good conditions.

Last edited by HogRider; 10-07-2006 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
10-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You definitely found a Gem of a lens there

Here is my take for comparison: Vivitar 120 - 600m @ 600mm with Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Converter attached. ( = 1200mm ?)

Resized and USM applied.