Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2016, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from the K-3II with DA*16-50 to the K-1 with DFA 24-70. No real issues except the size. Performance with my copy seems comparable in the real world. I have seen no change in agency acceptance of images, if anything a significantly better result from some.

Maybe if you worry about charts and pixel peeping there is something to worry about. I have no idea I don't waste time on that. I need a lens (and camera) that perform well day in and day out without a lot of fuss. I need to take images and be certain when I get back in front of the computer they will turn out acceptable to my clients. So far I have nothing bad to say about the DFA 24-70. It just works and delivers.

I see all these comments about poor edges or CA or weak at 2.8 or soft here or there or whatever. All armchair quarterback BS. Sure if I wanted to carry a bag full of primes and swap lenses all day I might get a better image by a few percentage points. Who cares? Not me, I have images to take and clients to please and in the real world no one is going to see the difference.

10-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I don't own the lens, this video made me seriously consider it for k-1. Have a look, see if you agree or disagree with those guys.

The Great 24-70mm F2.8 Shootout! (Featuring Sony, Pentax, Canon and Nikon) - YouTube
10-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the Ephotozine test on the Pentax version (Pentax HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR Review) and compared it with the Tamron version they tested earlier in 2012 (Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 VC USD Lens Review). It goes to show how we might be mislead in lens choosing from charts. If I have these Ephotozine charts correct, the Tamron test reflects what I'm finding - it does show a similarity to the DA*16-50 characteristics that I know well. It does not reflect their 24-70 test results.

I'm not especially stressed up by my findings so far (it *is* early days with this set). I had hoped to move to FF and have a lens that I didn't have to think about as I said. The reviews suggested I would have a flat response etc. But we know these reviews have their flaws, don't we ?

Whilst I don't obsess with the 100% view on screen, I am aware that the prints I make and sell regularly (with K-3 bodies), are appreciated for their sharpness. I've just made and framed an A1 sized commission (taken on K-3 /DA*50-135 - a detailed misty woodland scene ) and my customer was very pleased with the finished product, going on and on about the detail in the twigs and debris that littered the foreground and extremes of the shot. It is why I *do* spend time looking at the periphery of a shot at 100%, and why it does matter to me. This worked OK with the DA* 16-50/50-135 gear. I now appreciate I'll be concerning myself with the 24-70s variations as I've had to do before. Although, as I've said, the 1:1 crop option in firmware 1.3 does offer me a lot of new compositional options, which will probably negate some of the 24-70's frame softness at the extremes.

Much to learn from the lens, sadly. Just as things get busy for me as we move into the autumn/fall season and the run-up to several Christmas events I'm at. Nothing's easy ...
10-04-2016, 02:27 AM - 6 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ahhh the Primes Vs Zoom debate...how original.

My answer to the un-answerable question is this: At f/8 who cares? 98%* of lenses perform perfectly well at that aperture, and at that point the difference between a prime and a zoom is minimal at best.

* There are as always exceptions: the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DG springs to mind, no amount of stopping down can clear up the corners on that optical dumpster fire.

10-04-2016, 02:30 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Good to see so many user feedback from the other forum members. I am glad you brought this up. The 24-70 is on my short list of the next lens to get. I have the 31/43/77 and use them for most of my work. I am missing wider than 31mm focal length. I purchased a Samyang 14 f2.8 (which is fantastic) but it is is too wide. I will wait to see more comments on the lens.

BTW, I did own the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 in my Canon days and used it on the full frame 6D with fantastic results. I shot an assignment that required wide open apertures to blur out the distracting background. I was hesitant to use the lens wide open knowing that it was the worst spot of the lens. But to my surprise the images were sharp and contrasty. Again, this was not a scientific test but an actual client put-on-the-spot situation. From what I experienced, the lens was worth every penny. I did pay $1,299 which was full price at the time. A few months later Tamron discounted the lens by almost $300! Well I had no choice when I got it but at least it paid for itself many times over.

I would like to see some samples of the Pentax 24-70 at various focal lengths and apertures if anyone cares to share. Thank you all.

---------- Post added 10-03-16 at 03:27 PM ----------

Nice samples. Thanks for sharing.
You've probably seen this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/306371-hd-pentax-d-fa-24-70mm-f2-8-club.html, but it has a lot of images from the 24-70 both on crop and full frame cameras.
10-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
ahhh the Primes Vs Zoom debate...how original.

Yup, point taken and to be honest my thoughts too, in general. I did, however, try to be specific in this case. Having used both types extensively on APSC format I was trying, without having access to the FA primes, to get better *feel* of this zoom using this forum and with what seems like very variable reviews for the 24-70 on the 'new' FF. I don't know what it's like outside the UK, but my nearest Pentax dealer that carries a reasonable amount of stock to try and handle is a 3 hour drive away. It makes forums & reviews an important part of trying to understand kit.

Try as I might, if one post says a lens is mush in some cases then I generally want to check. If when they say it's mush and I see it too, then the desire to explore why becomes more important. The 24-70 isn't exactly mushy, but it isn't flat across the frame as the ephotozine review suggested. Maybe when the FA Limiteds are weather proofed and HD added, I'll be able to get back to primes, *IF* I haven't swapped back to K-3 format by then.
10-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Here is one fullsize image with 24-70 & Pixel Shift: http://mjkoski.1g.fi/kuvat/Miscellaneous/trash/_IMG0512.jpg/_full.jpg

My copy was soft on the right side of image @ 30mm setting (29mm in that frame). 24mm was more even but it deteriorated evenly towards edges (like the top of that tree trunk). 70mm needed f/8 to be usable at all.

10-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
Like some of the posters here I came from K7/K3 + 16-50 to K-1 + 24-70. So far, I can say that the latter is better.
As for 24-70 vs Ltds, I never compared (I had FA31 and DA70) but I think it holds its own in IQ department. Of course, there're pros and cons on both sides. But for me the 24-70 is what doctor prescribed.
10-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I went from the K-3II with DA*16-50 to the K-1 with DFA 24-70. No real issues except the size. Performance with my copy seems comparable in the real world. I have seen no change in agency acceptance of images, if anything a significantly better result from some.

Maybe if you worry about charts and pixel peeping there is something to worry about. I have no idea I don't waste time on that. I need a lens (and camera) that perform well day in and day out without a lot of fuss. I need to take images and be certain when I get back in front of the computer they will turn out acceptable to my clients. So far I have nothing bad to say about the DFA 24-70. It just works and delivers.

I see all these comments about poor edges or CA or weak at 2.8 or soft here or there or whatever. All armchair quarterback BS. Sure if I wanted to carry a bag full of primes and swap lenses all day I might get a better image by a few percentage points. Who cares? Not me, I have images to take and clients to please and in the real world no one is going to see the difference.
I like your practical approach. I own the primes but I am willing to compromise on quality for the convenience of a zoom. As it turns out the quality compromise is not much of a compromise after all.

I have contemplated getting rid of my Three Amigos in favor of the 24-70 but it is hard to do it. I know the zoom will be a lot more useful and convenient in fast paced environments. Additionally the extra 7mm on the short end will come in very handy... and being 7mm short on the long end is not gonna make a big difference.

---------- Post added 10-04-16 at 03:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Here is one fullsize image with 24-70 & Pixel Shift: http://mjkoski.1g.fi/kuvat/Miscellaneous/trash/_IMG0512.jpg/_full.jpg

My copy was soft on the right side of image @ 30mm setting (29mm in that frame). 24mm was more even but it deteriorated evenly towards edges (like the top of that tree trunk). 70mm needed f/8 to be usable at all.
Sounds like a misaligned lens. Can you return it for an exchange?
10-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I returned it for full refund. Focus shift was causing me problems and that is by design. So from short to medium distances focusing in liveview caused misfocused shots at shooting aperture. K-1 liveview works in weird way - it opens up fully (or near full) in dark but stays stopped down sometimes in bright light and sometimes not.

In the end you get better quality by purchasing prime kit at the price of the zoom. Like Leitaxed used zeiss 28/2, used ltd 43mm and used ltd 77mm.
10-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Interesting thread. When I was considering the K-1, I was looking at the 15-30, 24-79 and 28-105. I wanted a well constructed, excellent picture producing lens, F 2.8 if possible and was willing to pay for that privilege.

My impression in reading reviews, owner's reports, etc., is that the Tamron 24-270 F 2.8 seems to be getting, not sure how to say this...lukewarm reviews ?

The 15-30 another Tamron rebadge, seems to get very good reviews and the FF consumer lens the Pentax 28-105 seems to be pretty good.

The 24-70 focal length is a great range...and the F 2.8 capability is a sought after feature, but I'm used to buying Pentax lenses such as the 12-24 and the Limiteds...which I'm more than pleased with regarding their picture producing quality.

Would I be disappointed with the Tamron 24-70 , given my experience with these aforementioned (12-24, 21,40,70 Ltd.) Pentax lenses ?
10-05-2016, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Interesting thread. When I was considering the K-1, I was looking at the 15-30, 24-79 and 28-105. I wanted a well constructed, excellent picture producing lens, F 2.8 if possible and was willing to pay for that privilege.

My impression in reading reviews, owner's reports, etc., is that the Tamron 24-270 F 2.8 seems to be getting, not sure how to say this...lukewarm reviews ?

The 15-30 another Tamron rebadge, seems to get very good reviews and the FF consumer lens the Pentax 28-105 seems to be pretty good.

The 24-70 focal length is a great range...and the F 2.8 capability is a sought after feature, but I'm used to buying Pentax lenses such as the 12-24 and the Limiteds...which I'm more than pleased with regarding their picture producing quality.

Would I be disappointed with the Tamron 24-70 , given my experience with these aforementioned (12-24, 21,40,70 Ltd.) Pentax lenses ?
I like the DFA 24-70. Is it prime quality? It just really depends on the aperture. Pretty close at f5.6 and more narrow. It is definitely not as flare resistant as the lenses you mentioned. But of course the main reason to shoot with zooms is for flexibility and that is where having one lens that covers 24 to 70mm at f2.8 is awfully handy. When I am walking around with my family, they get super annoyed if I am constantly stopping to swap lenses and something like this works pretty well.

10-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've spent several hours today shooting in woodland into a low, bright sun with my 24-70. I'm pleasantly surprised how flare resistant it is. Way better than the 16-50/k-3 I'm used to. The CA was negligible too. (Also I had fitted ... yes I know it supposedly causes masses of flare problems -actually it doesn't - a quality BH clear protective filter).

I'm learning the len's plus points alongside less than perfect edges, but no worse than the FA's I suspect - just not flat as I'd expected/hoped.
10-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #29
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
DFA24-70/2.8 is direct copy of Tamron 24-70 VC only with disabled VC. Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD SP (Model A007) Review and try to compare with some proper 24-70/2.8 lens.. Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR AF-S Nikkor Review
As pointed out by the OP, a shortcoming of lens reviews is the fact that only one copy is tested. Once cannot draw definite conclusions from any one review.
10-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
As pointed out by the OP, a shortcoming of lens reviews is the fact that only one copy is tested. Once cannot draw definite conclusions from any one review.
Also, without the planned usage either they can be further misleading, which is why these threads help draw out real usage, albeit with some occasional and maybe even a few very slight biases eg towards the Princesses and their pockets of fairy dust

PS I like primes too ...