Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA 16-50 from KEH - silent squeak, is this normal?

Hi all,

i wonder what are your thoughts on this sound. I have 6 months warranty and 14 day free returns with KEH, so I can probably get it fixed if this is abnormal. I never had an SDM lens so I am not sure if this is how it's supposed to sound.

Recording of the autofocusing:

10-04-2016, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

That sounds normal to me. I have three DA* lenses and they all "squeak ". The worst is the 55. I think KEH does SDM repairs just in case.
10-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
That sounds normal to me. I have three DA* lenses and they all "squeak ". The worst is the 55. I think KEH does SDM repairs just in case.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
10-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds about like my 16-50. The lens also makes a whirling sound when you first mount it as the capacitor charges up. Make sure you mount the lens every so often. It keeps the capacitor charged.

10-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Sounds about like my 16-50. The lens also makes a whirling sound when you first mount it as the capacitor charges up. Make sure you mount the lens every so often. It keeps the capacitor charged.
This whole use it or it dies preventative medicine thing seems to be just myth and superstition. As someone else pointed out they don't pull them out of boxes in the warehouse and do this. Capacitors are able to die but there is no evidence these steps keep sdm alive. This is a difficult area since real experimentation isn't really possible. But...

I have three sdm lenses. 50-135, 200, 60-250. I go weeks without touching them without ill effects. My 50-135 was dead when I bought it and I did the manual focus shuffle to see if it would revive. It did. It never stopped since then.

I can easily convert it or the 200 to screw drive so I don't worry about it. But I do worry about all the hocus pocus people advocate as preventative medicine. If your lens acts sluggish and this helps that makes sense as a prescription if it helps. That's all.
10-04-2016, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This whole use it or it dies preventative medicine thing seems to be just myth and superstition. As someone else pointed out they don't pull them out of boxes in the warehouse and do this. Capacitors are able to die but there is no evidence these steps keep sdm alive. This is a difficult area since real experimentation isn't really possible. But...

I have three sdm lenses. 50-135, 200, 60-250. I go weeks without touching them without ill effects. My 50-135 was dead when I bought it and I did the manual focus shuffle to see if it would revive. It did. It never stopped since then.

I can easily convert it or the 200 to screw drive so I don't worry about it. But I do worry about all the hocus pocus people advocate as preventative medicine. If your lens acts sluggish and this helps that makes sense as a prescription if it helps. That's all.

I also feel the "use it or lose it" mentality is false. I have the 50-135 and used it constantly then boom, motor died. It is just a time bomb for some of us, and others NEVER have the problem.

Your lens sounds fine. The "Squeak" you will hear on a SDM issue will be much louder. Just enjoy the fantastic lens you have, if you feel like it starts to die convert to Screw Drive and forget about it. I did with my 50-135 and much prefer its operation now over the SDM.
10-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was just friendly advice and it can not hurt anything. Adam was the one who suggested it to me. Just because you don't agree with it does not make it wrong.

10-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
It was just friendly advice and it can not hurt anything. Adam was the one who suggested it to me. Just because you don't agree with it does not make it wrong.
Nor right. But it seems to be part of the legend about SDM that has no real data. Stating it as fact is what I object to. Saying it may help is different than saying it does help and should be done. Particularly when the mumbojumbo about the capacitor discharge is tossed in as an explanation. The reality is that lenses sit for years in boxes without harm.
10-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nor right. But it seems to be part of the legend about SDM that has no real data. Stating it as fact is what I object to. Saying it may help is different than saying it does help and should be done. Particularly when the mumbojumbo about the capacitor discharge is tossed in as an explanation. The reality is that lenses sit for years in boxes without harm.
Yet there is no proof it does not help either. I find attitude and demeanor to be rather juvenile. With that I will choose to ignore this and move on.
10-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's normal. My lens had the SDM replaced and you could hear a slight squeak even though it was replaced.

What attitude and demeanor Scorpio71gr? It's all in your head I'm afraid.
10-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
It's normal. My lens had the SDM replaced and you could hear a slight squeak even though it was replaced.

What attitude and demeanor Scorpio71gr? It's all in your head I'm afraid.
Thank you. I only object to the elevation of belief to fact. I appreciate the support.