Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Help! Destroyed screws in PENTAX-M 1:2.8 35 mm

I have a PENTAX-M 35mm F/2.8. It has a slow aperture. So, I thought I should disassemble it and fix it.

But, some previous owner have had the same idea and destroyed two of the screws.
There are no crosses there any more, just two round holes.

The three other screws I have loosened without any problems. But, of course, the two destroyed
screws is a problem. First I need to take them away somehow, and then I need new screws.

So - my question is regarding those two topics.

1. What is the best way to remove the screws?

2. Where can I find new screws?

The diameter seems to be 1.9 mm (maybe 2 mm) and the length, including head is 2.8 mm.
And the head is very thin.

10-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing: these are JIS screws see here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/119344-cr...s-caution.html

I assume the damaged screws are on the mount. While there are various suggestions for coaxing out damaged head screws inc using a heat source (soldering iron, heat gun), in this case I would be tempted to complete the removal of the screw head using a drill and lift the mount off, exposing the stud which can then be gripped with eg a small mole wrench.

The easiest source of a couple of replacement screws is a junk lens. Not sure where you are located, if in the USA dcshooter on this forum for example does lens work and is likely to have some. Otherwise JIS screws are metric threads and there are any number of suppliers of 1.6mm/2mm/etc dia thread machine screws. Best to take one of the screws (or the mount and test the engagement of screws in the thread) to a local engineering shop and get it measured with gauge/calipers, would be easy to get the wrong ones otherwise.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 10-07-2016 at 04:54 AM.
10-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I stripped a screw on one of my Leica lenses and ended up sending it to Eric Hendrickson who replaced the screw and finished the conversion I was trying to do for a very reasonable price.
10-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I stripped a screw on one of my Leica lenses and ended up sending it to Eric Hendrickson who replaced the screw and finished the conversion I was trying to do for a very reasonable price.
I usually put drop of acetone on each screw and heat it all up with a hot hair drier. A quick, well controlled jerk will be more effective than constant pressure and a big handled screwdriver that just fits the groves is a lot more effective than a little thin jewelers screwriver. Once you get the mount off you will likely be able to to remove the broken screws with a small needle nose vice grip.

10-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

Normally you drill out the damaged screws with a screw extractor.

Micro-Tools -
http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21
http://www.micromark.com/mini-extractor-and-screwdriver-set,8570.html

You might be able to find a suitable sized screw from various sources that sell "micro screws". They need not be cross head screws.

Machine Screws - Micro Fasteners
http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=98
10-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your answers. So - it seems like it was dangerous to use my Philips driver to remove the three undamaged JIS screws. You learn new things all the time.

BTW - found JIS bits here:

K

BTW - is this a suitable screw?

MSPPS2003 - M2 x .4 x 3mm - Pan Head Machine Screws - Phillips - Stainless - Micro Fasteners

Is the head thin enough?
Is it an M2x0.4 screw?
10-08-2016, 02:55 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Did you get them out, yet? Not sure if it will work with screws that small, but usually you can help yourself with some rubber band that you put between screw and screw driver. Maybe you'll have to find some really thin rubber for screws that small, but I'd give it a try.

10-09-2016, 05:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
I managed to get the two destroyed screws out. First I applied some acetone. Then, one of the screws was just easy to take out with the philips screw drive. The second one was harder. I hade to use a sharp "awl" at the edge of the screw head, forcing it around. So, now they are out. I have three undamaged screws. Maybe that is enough. Otherwise, I need two screws.

I have ordered a som bits, containing JIS 000, 00, 0 and 1 bits. I think I shall wait to open the lens until I have got the right bits.
08-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
Forum Member

searching for K-mount replacement screws

Mega-bump !

So, I had stripped a few screws on K-mount lenses way before. Now I'm more cautious on applied forces, for avoiding the cam-out of the screwdriver. Plus, having Japanese-made cross point screwdrivers also helps.

Nevertheless, I have several lenses, which have been badly tinkered by previous owners. Some screws here or there need replacement, and I cannot find exact replacement parts for these K-mount miniature screws.
Here is what I measured with an old caliper :

• Apparently 2mm thread diameter, so a metric M2 thread, most probably a standard pitch.
  • 3mm total length.
  • Only about ~0.6mm head thickness, flat-type.
  • 3 mm head diameter.

In my country, I have found only one online serious supplier for general public, that provides many micro-screws, with the appropriate data. But none of them are a good match for K-mount screws.
Their nearest equivalent that I found are described like this :

• DIN 7985 norm, mmmh OK,
  • M3 , M2.5 , M2, or M1.6 or even thinner. M2 seems about right.
  • 1.6 mm head thickness, which seems quite too thick,
  • 4 mm head diameter, flat on the inner side, slightly bulbous on the tip side.
  • Available with 3, or 4, or more total length.

So it would be maybe possible to take a 4mm length screw like this, sand the head to make it thinner, sand again the head but tangentially, in order to reduce its diameter down to 3mm or so.
And hope there is still enough material left to engage a PH0 / PH00 screwdriver properly.

I have some modelling tools to do the trimming. But it would be a lot of hassle, for each screw, and many to modify.

So if anyone has a better source for K-mount replacement screws, and confirm my measurements, it would be very nice indeed.
08-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #10

The parts diagrams I've seen for many Pentax lenses usually list the diameter at 1.7mm.

Edit: looking at some of the camera parts lists Pentax uses 2.0mm diameter screws on the camera side of the mount so it is possible 2.0mm are used on the lens mount side.

Measure with an accurate micrometer to be sure.

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-13-2020 at 11:05 AM.
08-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
Forum Member

I just grabbed a Pentax-K lens, removed a screw, and my caliper lines up at 1.95 mm for the threaded part.
On maybe the 2 in M2 is about internal diameter, without the helicoid ??

Edit : after a short research, the number in metric standard screw is indeed the external diameter of the thread. The real measurement can be a little less, because the carving of the original rod from which the screw is produced removes a bit more material than intended. Hence the 1.95 mm I measured. The second number indicates the thread length, sometimes excluding the head, sometimes not (countersunk type).

So I will order M2*3 mm DIN-7985 screws, and sand the head to approximate the dimensions of K-mount ones. Unless someone has a better reference.

Last edited by Praktica*ist; 08-13-2020 at 11:54 AM.