Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Primoplan 75mm 1.9 ?

Primoplan 75 f1.9 ? it?s all about the people in front of the camera | Meyer-Optik-Goerlitz
Primoplan 75mm Hits the Sweet Spot for Wedding Photography | Meyer-Optik-Goerlitz

I gave in. Bought it together as part of the kickstarter with the 58mm..which basically gave me the 58mm for free.

People seem to hate these kind of weird bokeh inducing lenses.

10-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote

People seem to hate these kind of weird bokeh inducing lenses.

they do?
10-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whoa. How did you find all this info?

This article from dpreview says "The company will use glass from the prestigious German Schott factory (Schott is 100% owned by The Carl Zeiss Foundation), and the lens will be designed, constructed and tested in the German town of Goerlitz where the original company was based."

for their trioplan. Meyer Optik to bring back soap-bubble-bokeh Trioplan lens via Kickstarter: Digital Photography Review

I heard the focus shift of 85mm zeiss is really difficult to handle, so i have been staying away from it.
10-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I have no problem with the bokeh. It's a neat characteristic of an improperly corrected lens that can be used artistically in many situations.

I have more of a problem with the company calling itself "Meyer Optik Goerlitz" and selling outrageously priced lenses when 1) It's not a German company, has no relationship to the original Meyer, and has zero presence in the town of Goerlitz, 2) their claim to be "German-made" is borderline fraudulent, since most of their components are made in Eastern Europe or China, with only a small amount of final assembly done in Germany, 3) the designs are not identical to the vintage designs they claim to reproduce, 4) even if they were, these are lenses that based upon their extreme simplicity (3-5 element 100 year old designs, manual focus) and workmanship should be selling for E100 or less, not E1500, and 4) the prose they use in their lens descriptions is completely so purple as to be laughable while not really saying anything about the lens's actual performance. It lets "the light magically flow together?" Really?

You can get a Zeiss Planar T* ZK 85mm f/1.4 lens, which is actually made in Germany to much more exacting standards for E500 less than this lens.
@dcshooter Your criticisms definitely apply to the company's Mitakon-clones, but the Meyer re-issues actually seem to be built in Germany. Apparently they have contracts with various repair shops around Germany to assemble the lenses, and as I understand the parts for these are made by them in germany. I think the price is outrageous but given the small scale of the operations, understandable. Personally, I will give these lenses a pass and rather save up to complement my limiteds and play around with a pile of old East German lenses. However, sometimes I would like to knock them against a wall due to the mechanical fragility of some of them.

10-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Interesting. And cool. I have FA 77/1.8, and Helios 44-2 which is also almost free...interested to see some comparing of these 2 different combos(almost same focal lenght still.
10-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Interesting. And cool. I have FA 77/1.8, and Helios 44-2 which is also almost free...interested to see some comparing of these 2 different combos(almost same focal lenght still.
We can do a shootout next march! ^_^
10-08-2016, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I have no problem with the bokeh. It's a neat characteristic of an improperly corrected lens that can be used artistically in many situations.

I have more of a problem with the company calling itself "Meyer Optik Goerlitz" and selling outrageously priced lenses when 1) It's not a German company, has no relationship to the original Meyer, and has zero presence in the town of Goerlitz, 2) their claim to be "German-made" is borderline fraudulent, since most of their components are made in Eastern Europe or China, with only a small amount of final assembly done in Germany, 3) the designs are not identical to the vintage designs they claim to reproduce, 4) even if they were, these are lenses that based upon their extreme simplicity (3-5 element 100 year old designs, manual focus) and workmanship should be selling for E100 or less, not E1500, and 4) the prose they use in their lens descriptions is completely so purple as to be laughable while not really saying anything about the lens's actual performance. It lets "the light magically flow together?" Really?

You can get a Zeiss Planar T* ZK 85mm f/1.4 lens, which is actually made in Germany to much more exacting standards for E500 less than this lens.
Don't know what is the purose of your post.

German lens labels are trade marks. Anybody can buy those trade marks if available on the market. Globell has bought the "Meyer-Optik Görlitz" trademark and the rights that go with it and are marketing it. Globell is transparent about that. Globell Deutschland is registered in the German Handelsregister and therefore simply a German registered company. What is a German company in the modern world? Siemens has 2/3 of its employees outside Germany. Is that a German company?

"Made in Germany" is also a trademark. There are rules that go with it to be able to put the label. A BMW parts are more than 2/3 not manufactured by BMW and is anyway called a BMW car. Consumer products are emotional products and the country label is part of it. Most of Pentax parts are also not manufactured in Japan but Vietnam and elsewhere. Same for iphone ...

I am happy that Meyer-Optik-Görlitz did add the Pentax K mount to the list of available mounts to the Trioplan and the Primoplan. I had asked them a few times and they were very helpful about that. Whether somebody buys the lenses, finds them too expensive, none quality products for too high prize, ... that is all individual perception and preference. It is nice is to have alternative in lenses for the K-mount.

PS I have no affiliation with Globell or Meyer-Optik-Görlitz

10-08-2016, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
We can do a shootout next march! ^_^
So it will be.