Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Rorschach's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kuusamo, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 598
90mm f2.8 leaf shutter lens for Pentax 6x7

Does anybody have experience of this lens? I am looking to buy one and the price isn't too unfriendly.

The following question is probably stupid but I have no prior experience with leaf shutters. Correct me if I have missunderstood but I take it that the lens shutter can be used normally also and not only in conjunction with the flash? I ask because I'd like to use the lens as way to get around the shutter slap vibration problem that the 6x7 has at certain shutter speeds (apparently 1/30 - 1s). Another solution obviously would be a good ball head and tripod (Arca Swiss B1 + Really RIght Stuff plate) but those are very expensive and heavy.

Thanks for any information.
Boucicaut

07-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 248
I have a 90mm F2.8 leaf shutter lens for my 6X7. It can be used normally without the flash.

Tom
07-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Rorschach's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kuusamo, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 598
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
I have a 90mm F2.8 leaf shutter lens for my 6X7. It can be used normally without the flash.

Tom
Thanks Tom! Have you been happy with your lens?

I'm mainly going to use the 90mm for landscapes and the other lens I'll be getting is the 55mm, late version with 8 elements, so I think I'm set for landscapes.

I will also do some available light handheld portrait stuff. What kind of hand holdable shutter speeds do you think are possible with this lens wide open and using TRI-X 400?

One more question if you have the patience: what flash would you recommend for the 6x7?

Cheers,
Riku
07-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Does anybody have experience of this lens? I am looking to buy one and the price isn't too unfriendly.

The following question is probably stupid but I have no prior experience with leaf shutters. Correct me if I have missunderstood but I take it that the lens shutter can be used normally also and not only in conjunction with the flash? I ask because I'd like to use the lens as way to get around the shutter slap vibration problem that the 6x7 has at certain shutter speeds (apparently 1/30 - 1s). Another solution obviously would be a good ball head and tripod (Arca Swiss B1 + Really RIght Stuff plate) but those are very expensive and heavy.

Thanks for any information.
Boucicaut

The 90mm Leaf is a nice little lens. Optically, it is pretty similar to the 105mm f/2.4, which makes it a very good optic.
The lens can be used normally at any shutter speed.
The mechanicals of it are a little bit frail, and the shutter can be damaged if the camera body shutter speed is set to anything other than 1/8 second when using the leaf shutter. This is because of the way the shutter in the lens is timed to operate.

The vibration myth is somewhat over rated:
http://www.pdmlpug.org/VIBRATION.MOV

I've found that the 6x7 is very handholdable with shutter speeds down to about 1/2 the focal length. I like the old Metz 60 series for portable flash with the 6x7. It has lots of power to allow some stopping down.

07-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Rorschach's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kuusamo, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 598
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The 90mm Leaf is a nice little lens. Optically, it is pretty similar to the 105mm f/2.4, which makes it a very good optic.
The lens can be used normally at any shutter speed.
The mechanicals of it are a little bit frail, and the shutter can be damaged if the camera body shutter speed is set to anything other than 1/8 second when using the leaf shutter. This is because of the way the shutter in the lens is timed to operate.

The vibration myth is somewhat over rated:
http://www.pdmlpug.org/VIBRATION.MOV

I've found that the 6x7 is very handholdable with shutter speeds down to about 1/2 the focal length. I like the old Metz 60 series for portable flash with the 6x7. It has lots of power to allow some stopping down.
Thanks! I appreciate the information a lot. And it looks like I'll buy the lens.

Cheers,
Boucicaut
07-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
My 6x7 MLU came with a pretty beat up 90 LS lens. Out siide it looks like hell, but inside lovely.

Its a good lens, quite sharp.

I rarely use a tripod and have hand held to 1/30 no sweat.

As wheatfield says, the mirror slap myth is greatly exagerated

Dave
07-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Rorschach's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kuusamo, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 598
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
My 6x7 MLU came with a pretty beat up 90 LS lens. Out siide it looks like hell, but inside lovely.

Its a good lens, quite sharp.

I rarely use a tripod and have hand held to 1/30 no sweat.

As wheatfield says, the mirror slap myth is greatly exagerated

Dave
Thanks. It's reassuring to know that hand holding to 1/30 is possible. It's not so much the mirror slap that I worried about (the body I have has MLU) but vibration caused by the shutter.

Anyways, the other lens that I'll get in a few weeks is the late version 55mm with 8 elements. I think I'll be set for landscapes. Can't wait for the first shots!

Cheers,
Boucicaut
07-30-2008, 04:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
Watch the switch

One thing to watch for on this lens, is the S and U switch near the bottom. It selects the from shutter or camera shutter. It can be moved by accident,so i put a piece of electrician tape over it to hold in place.

Only nit for this lens

Dave

08-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Rorschach's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kuusamo, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 598
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
One thing to watch for on this lens, is the S and U switch near the bottom. It selects the from shutter or camera shutter. It can be moved by accident,so i put a piece of electrician tape over it to hold in place.

Only nit for this lens

Dave
Dave,

Thanks for the tip, will be handy I'm sure. By the way, apparently the S position can be used for taking multiple exposures.

Best regards,
Riku
08-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 248
I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. I am amazed by the quality of the pictures taken by this lens.(of course having a 60mm X 70mm negative helps!)

It has been many years since I used this camera. I still have the body and the lens, and I will be selling them soon. I have the pentaprism finder with the built in meter - this makes the camera operate much like the 35mm cameras I am used to.

I have a Braun potato masher style flash. It has a flash bracket that it bayonets into, so it is easily removable. It also has a built in slave trigger which makes it very useful as an auxiliary flash. I don't know what the guide number is, but it is very powerful.

Tom


QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Thanks Tom! Have you been happy with your lens?

I'm mainly going to use the 90mm for landscapes and the other lens I'll be getting is the 55mm, late version with 8 elements, so I think I'm set for landscapes.

I will also do some available light handheld portrait stuff. What kind of hand holdable shutter speeds do you think are possible with this lens wide open and using TRI-X 400?

One more question if you have the patience: what flash would you recommend for the 6x7?

Cheers,
Riku
08-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Rorschach's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kuusamo, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 598
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. I am amazed by the quality of the pictures taken by this lens.(of course having a 60mm X 70mm negative helps!)

It has been many years since I used this camera. I still have the body and the lens, and I will be selling them soon. I have the pentaprism finder with the built in meter - this makes the camera operate much like the 35mm cameras I am used to.

I have a Braun potato masher style flash. It has a flash bracket that it bayonets into, so it is easily removable. It also has a built in slave trigger which makes it very useful as an auxiliary flash. I don't know what the guide number is, but it is very powerful.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I'll be interested in the body as the one that I have isn't in very good condition. Also the flash is interesting.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
6x7, experience, k-mount, leaf, leaf shutter lens, lens, lens for pentax, pentax lens, shutter, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any experience on Pentax 645 135mm f/4.0 LS -- Leaf Shutter hinman Pentax Medium Format 11 11-23-2010 05:15 PM
Thoughts on 90mm leaf shutter lens Isis Pentax Medium Format 4 09-21-2010 03:44 AM
K7 and the 75mm Leaf Shutter Lens HawaiianOnline Pentax Medium Format 4 09-20-2010 10:12 AM
165mm leaf shutter lens for 67 Ade-oh Pentax Medium Format 6 12-30-2009 12:02 PM
Pentax 6x7 leaf shutter lens use? barondla Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 12-30-2008 06:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top