Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I found the Sigma 135-400 a very worthwhile option, considering its price.I have had quite some success with this lens. Sure there is better, but for those of us on a limited budget well worth a look.
I also hear good things about the Sigma 135-400 from Javier and it is some lens that I am saving fund for longer zoom to reach 400mm. Though IQ is better in prime, I currently prefer zoom for my amateur use in tele in a budget as I find myself shooting with zoom in and out in changing FOV to locate small objects such as birds.

While saving fund for the long lens, I currently settle with Tamron 70-300 Di LD and go with two TC with Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 and Promaster 1.7x AF TC.

Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro + Promaster 1.7x Spectrum 7 AF TC
at 408mm after TC

Tamron 70-300 Di LD + Promaster 1.7x Spectrum 7 AF TC
at 408mm after TC

Tamron at 510mm after TC

Tamron 70-300 Di LD + Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 TC
at 420mm after TC

One important factor besides cost consideration is the weight of the gear and whether you prefer tripod with your tele. With the tamron zoom and a TC, I find hand-holding comfortable and results will get better and sharper with tripod when I find the need for best sharpness.

Last edited by hinman; 07-29-2008 at 02:46 PM.