Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

How do you clean your glass?

Well I've been picking up some older glass to get with the new K200d. I have a nikon lens pen that I have been cleaning the glass with. It seems to do a great job. Is that a good way to go without damaging the coatings? WDO

07-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do a search, this has been discussed many times. My preference is isopropyl alcohol, cheap and effective.
07-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Banned

I don't clean the glass, as I keep a UV filter on my lenses for just this problem. I do however use Formula MC and optical (Lens) tissues for cleaning the filters from time to time.
07-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whitedogone Quote
Well I've been picking up some older glass to get with the new K200d. I have a nikon lens pen that I have been cleaning the glass with. It seems to do a great job. Is that a good way to go without damaging the coatings? WDO
Be very careful when using a lens pen. I didn't see the grit that had lodged in mine, and did this to a 1 month old DA 18-250...

Talk about a sinking feeling when I saw these scratches appear... These days I use the brush end of the pen and a microfiber cloth (smith sunglasses "smudgebuster") when necessary. I don't trust myself with one of those lens-pens anymore...

07-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm cleaning my lens by LENSPEN:

Lenspen - superior new cleaning system for your camera's glass - MeatHenge
07-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The one and only time I used a Lenspen, I bought a brand new one, brought it home, opened the package and proceeded to smear oil imbedded in the piece of crap all over the front element of an A50mm f/1.2.
That turned me off of that product in a hurry.
I just use clean cotton fabric (old t-shirts that have been well washed and rinsed are good) and my breath for routine cleaning, if I get something that doesn't come off easily, I'll use some lens cleaning solution (on the fabric, not the lens).
Dust can easily be brushed off with a corner of the fabric.
There is an entire industry out there that wants to seperate you from your money with high tec cleaning products. In my opinion, most of them are expensive crap.
After my experience, LensPens are at the top of this list.

If you want a nice brush for cleaning dust off of lenses, good paint supply stores sell high quality natural bristle brushes for oil based paint. A small top quality cut in brush is a good investment and will not scratch your lenses. Watch out for polyester brushes, they feel soft but can scratch a lens.

Back when I was selling cameras for a living I was at a dog and pony show being put on by our various suppliers. The guy at the Pentax booth had a 50mm lens sitting on his table, and he was inviting any smoker who came to his booth to butt his cigarette on the front element of the lens. After several dozen smokes being crushed out on the glass, there were absolutely no visible marks on the lens.
It was a very graphic illustration of how tough the glass and coatings are on Pentax lenses.
07-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteQuote:
It was a very graphic illustration of how tough the glass and coatings are on Pentax lenses.
thats quite impressive, I wish I could have seen that myself.

07-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Be very careful when using a lens pen. I didn't see the grit that had lodged in mine, and did this to a 1 month old DA 18-250...

Talk about a sinking feeling when I saw these scratches appear... These days I use the brush end of the pen and a microfiber cloth (smith sunglasses "smudgebuster") when necessary. I don't trust myself with one of those lens-pens anymore...
The only harm that will show in your images is that your lens is now slightly more prone to flare because of the scratches.
If you go to a good graphic arts shop you can pick up a small bottle of India ink and a really small spotting brush. If you fill the scratch with ink (BE CAREFUL to just fill the scratch) you will never have the scratches causing problems.
07-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

be easy with the lenspen and don't use their sensor pen. i use what my local shop uses. denatured alcohol. if you can get 190proof grain alcohol that would be great as well. and the bonus is you can drink it if you drop the lens. i tried acetone but it dries too fast..
here's something i found out on my on. for a lint free clothget a jewelers cloth.
as big as possible. be sure to get a SELVYT cloth.. as there are knock offs be careful where you get it. this will work great as a lens cloth but where it really(pun intended) shines is those old lenses we always have. just wipe down the barrel with it. results on them is nothing short of STUNNING..
you're welcome
07-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Meh,...I just toss mine in the tub when I'm having a shower. The cascading suds do a good enough job for me.

c[_]