Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How much is this DA 18-250 worth?

I scratched the front element of my DA 18-250mm cleaning it cavalierly with a Lens Pen (when it was basically brand new - ). Now, for completely unrelated reasons, I'm considering selling it.

Picture one below points out the scratches. I've shot quite a bit with this lens since the "incident" and haven't noticed any sign of 'em in my photos.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the price I should ask for this lens... What would you be willing to pay?

Click for a larger version in a new window/tab...

Thanks for any insight...

07-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't think I would want it with the scratches, unless it was heavily discounted. Say, at least half price off a new one?

A lot of people "hate" them, but this is one reason I use protective filters, or special lens cleaning tissues and fluid when cleaning front elements.

Good luck selling it.
07-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Any lens (or any other item) is worth whatever a buyer and seller can agree on. Scan eBay for 18-250s (if any), check on "completed sales" and see if anything comparable sold recently. That should give you a rough price guide.

As for lens protectors: since you were cleaning the lens when you damaged it, a UV or Skylight filter would have done no good. Going outside is a different matter. Yeah, some hate those, but I keep such mounted on EVERY DAMN LENS that I take out into the potentially damaging Real World. If you're a well-paid professional, and your lenses are your working tools, and the tiny loss of IQ in an image is worth the risk of damaging and replacing a lens, then go ahead and skip the protection. Not quite as hazardous as unsafe sex, but it's the same paradigm.
07-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Any lens (or any other item) is worth whatever a buyer and seller can agree on. Scan eBay for 18-250s (if any), check on "completed sales" and see if anything comparable sold recently. That should give you a rough price guide.

As for lens protectors: since you were cleaning the lens when you damaged it, a UV or Skylight filter would have done no good. Going outside is a different matter. Yeah, some hate those, but I keep such mounted on EVERY DAMN LENS that I take out into the potentially damaging Real World. If you're a well-paid professional, and your lenses are your working tools, and the tiny loss of IQ in an image is worth the risk of damaging and replacing a lens, then go ahead and skip the protection. Not quite as hazardous as unsafe sex, but it's the same paradigm.
Yeah, I learned my lesson cleaning it and I'm definitely inclined to agree on the UV filter for every lens (though I haven't yet implemented that). I think that a filter would have saved the element for sure, since I would have been cleaning the filter rather than the lens element.

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Don't think I would want it with the scratches, unless it was heavily discounted. Say, at least half price off a new one?

A lot of people "hate" them, but this is one reason I use protective filters, or special lens cleaning tissues and fluid when cleaning front elements.

Good luck selling it.
I was thinking that might be the price people would think of... I most likely won't sell it for now because the value was reduced more than the image quality, and it is a handy lens for some situations.