Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I admire your achievement. I would do the same only I don't have the discipline... I want to play around with lesser lenses to teach myself just what I respond to in a lens.

So I'm not off the LBA mill, although I may switch again to the hunt for another old MF folder.

(My latest is a Rikenon 135mm, figuring I like my Ricoh Diacord lens more than the Yashica Mat's, so maybe this will be a decent 135.)
Well, I did have a bunch of other brands and makes before. But when I started using the Takumars I decided those were the best for me. None of the lenses I have tried are on pair in buildquality. And the price per unit of quality is just astonishing.

Sure there are some lenses that probably are "better" in image quality. But that quality costs you alot. I'd rather pay 20$ for a takumar then a 400$ for the same specced Zeiss. The difference is not that big. The Takumar costs 5% of the Zeiss but the quality is definitly not 95% better on a Zeiss lens.

07-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
he he he he.. after 13 primes covering all possible FL what else could you ask for anyways?!!

Well I could fit a Macro-Takumar 100mm and Bellow-Takumar. And the super teles ofcourse. Also there is the <20mm and 24mm. Ofcourse there are also some of the megalaser rares such as Takumar 100mm f/3.5 M42 Asahi Opt. Co. Ultrarare! on eBay, also, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (end time 28-Jul-08 17:50:25 BST)

I would ofcourse add them to the collection if I stumbled on them. But I do not have an urge to search for them activly.
07-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Well, I did have a bunch of other brands and makes before. But when I started using the Takumars I decided those were the best for me. None of the lenses I have tried are on pair in buildquality. And the price per unit of quality is just astonishing.

Sure there are some lenses that probably are "better" in image quality. But that quality costs you alot. I'd rather pay 20$ for a takumar then a 400$ for the same specced Zeiss. The difference is not that big. The Takumar costs 5% of the Zeiss but the quality is definitly not 95% better on a Zeiss lens.

My sentiments entirely: besides, going Pentax and Takumar (and ok, the mf K lenses too) is a way to avoid that Leica madness... this isn't just IQ but also the mechanical quality an precision.

For me, truth be told, a relatively small range of primes suffices: I can see adding an ultra wide or two, and a short tele in Takumar, and being entirely happy.

Your collection is an inspiration.
07-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Lower your goals, thats the quickest way to achieve them ;D
Exactly. Or at least, set your goals very carefully, especially when collecting stuff.

For instance, I have a huge accumulation of publications and recordings, a pretty hefty assortment of Native American pottery, and a smaller pile of musical instruments. These are all dangerous items to collect, because one can never obtain the complete set. THERE IS NO COMPLETE SET! One can only acquire more and more and more, until all money and storage space are exhausted.

I also collect a publication issued somewhat-quarterly between 1946-1966 called The Desert Rat Scrap Book aka DRSB, written and illustrated by one Harry Oliver, an early Hollywood set designer. Harry produced just 46 issues. A very few issues were reprinted. Over the space of 10 years, I collected each of those 46 issues, plus a few books by and about Harry Oliver. I have them all. I HAVE THE COMLETE SET! I NO LONGER NEED TO SPEND TIME AND MONEY LOOKING FOR MORE!

Collecting lenses? Is is possible or feasible to collect the complete set of Pentax lenses? Of Takumars? Or how about that Russian glass that I'm becoming swamped with? WHERE TO STOP ??????

Someday soon, with adaptive optics devices, nobody will need lenses anymore. Which won't stop the collectors, of course.

07-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Someday soon, with adaptive optics devices, nobody will need lenses anymore. Which won't stop the collectors, of course.
I just red the definition of adaptive optics on wikipedia and I don't see how this is applicable to our cameras...

But talking about the freedom of oneself when the collection is complete... what about the boredom?

I am receptionist in a small hotel and I have tones of times on my hand. Until now, I used that time to figure out what the best lens would be for me. Now, I have just purchased one of the two last lenses I want, and there is no research left... I know what I want and I am just waiting for the money, so I am bored.

What I am getting at is:

LBA is expensive, and for some never ending, but it is fun!
07-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Igilligan

Nice collection of Taks... Now my question is???? How many duds found their way into your mailbox during the hunt? A got a Super Tak 35 and 135 that were fungied beyond recognition... but it was early on in my ebay schoolin', before I knew the questions to ask...
07-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Nice collection of Taks... Now my question is???? How many duds found their way into your mailbox during the hunt? A got a Super Tak 35 and 135 that were fungied beyond recognition... but it was early on in my ebay schoolin', before I knew the questions to ask...

I received a S-M-C Takumar 50 1.4 that was in absolutely mint shape, a beautiful
specimen.... on the exterior. Inside, it was like the Amazon rainforest. The most
fungus I've ever seen. I actually just kept it (it was $18), and I've since bought a pristine copy, so I don't have to use that one.

The funny thing is, I don't think I can notice the fungus in the images! Anyone else with fungal lenses notice that?

07-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I'm not quitting until I get the Super Takumar 35/2.0

Bill

07-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Zewrak you are missing the Fish Eye Takumar 17mm f4.

This is a fine lens that would compliment your collection.
07-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
2 Really. My first 35mm was behaving strange with the apertureblades. And the 50 Macro have some fungi. But it's cleanable. Other then that I have been very lucky really. Most of them are in excellent condition.

And the 35mm was really not a lense I set out to buy, it came with a set of other lenses. However it is replaced with a near mint one by now.
07-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #26
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great collection Zewrak, congrats on it...
I'm heading similar direction but I'm miles away, but manual (OK, I will accept FAs and DAs) primes are way to go for me too...
07-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
great collection Zewrak, congrats on it...
I'm heading similar direction but I'm miles away, but manual (OK, I will accept FAs and DAs) primes are way to go for me too...
FA could be ok for me, I guess. DA is not an option though. The reason I opt for M42 is to not lock me into a system. As it is today, I do not "belong" to a system. I can use all my lenses on analog Pentax 35mm cameras (any of them). I can use them on a Canon fullformat, I can use them on Olympus digital cameras. And so on. This means I have the option to bring along a film camera, my K10D and a fullformat digital body and still use the same lenses on them all. I am not crippled in any way.

Yes, there are PK adapters for Canon and Olympus too. But PK limits me in using some of the older bodies that we all love. But it would not be a disaster, since I can still use them on the newer filmbodies and the digitals.

But M42 is as universal it gets (with exception on m39). And I am happy with my choice. I got a film body (Spotmatic), a street digital with shakereduction (K10D) and soon enough I will get a landscape/macro fullformat camera (5D). And all share lenses. It's brilliant really.

The DA are just too crippled for me. Soon enough they will only be available with SDM, Im sure. They lack aperturering and they are not fullformat. For me all those three points is unacceptable. Add to that, plastic parts and electronics that will one day make the lenses end up in a scrapyard. While I just clean and add grease to my Takumars .
07-30-2008, 02:02 AM   #28
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done Zewrak,
Good rationale for your collection.
I too am concerned what will happen when Pentax bring out their FF cam - too many DA lenses to start trading/selling off.
Oh well, that's LBA...
08-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #29
axl
Veteran Member

I see...

FA could be ok for me, I guess. DA is not an option though. The reason I opt for M42 is to not lock me into a system. As it is today, I do not "belong" to a system. I can use all my lenses on analog Pentax 35mm cameras (any of them). I can use them on a Canon fullformat, I can use them on Olympus digital cameras. And so on. This means I have the option to bring along a film camera, my K10D and a fullformat digital body and still use the same lenses on them all. I am not crippled in any way.

Yes, there are PK adapters for Canon and Olympus too. But PK limits me in using some of the older bodies that we all love. But it would not be a disaster, since I can still use them on the newer filmbodies and the digitals.

But M42 is as universal it gets (with exception on m39). And I am happy with my choice. I got a film body (Spotmatic), a street digital with shakereduction (K10D) and soon enough I will get a landscape/macro fullformat camera (5D). And all share lenses. It's brilliant really.

The DA are just too crippled for me. Soon enough they will only be available with SDM, Im sure. They lack aperturering and they are not fullformat. For me all those three points is unacceptable. Add to that, plastic parts and electronics that will one day make the lenses end up in a scrapyard. While I just clean and add grease to my Takumars .
I see your point, and you're right.
But I do belong to brand and I'm happy to. As long as K mount survives I guess I'll be happy, for now I'm ready for anything that comes. I have some DA lenses, but quite a few from my collection are FF capable (tokina 28, Hoya 135, K400, Sigma 105, and I think tamy 70-300 too), so I do not fear...
08-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #30
Inactive Account

FA could be ok for me, I guess. DA is not an option though. The reason I opt for M42 is to not lock me into a system. As it is today, I do not "belong" to a system. I can use all my lenses on analog Pentax 35mm cameras (any of them). I can use them on a Canon full format, I can use them on Olympus digital cameras. And so on. This means I have the option to bring along a film camera, my K10D and a full format digital body and still use the same lenses on them all. I am not crippled in any way.

Yes, there are PK adapters for Canon and Olympus too. But PK limits me in using some of the older bodies that we all love. But it would not be a disaster, since I can still use them on the newer film bodies and the digitals.

I agree completely with the manual focus lens philosophy that will allow one to use M42 lenses on so many different bayonet mount brands of cameras..

The vast majority of the M42 lenses manufactured were of above average quality..When you take the time to consider that these lenses were designed by men using primarily slide rules, pencils, & paper and with a technological understanding of optics that was exponentially less than what engineers understand today; it's truly marvelous that so many of these lenses render such high-quality images thirty, forty, & in some cases fifty years after they were manufactured..

Many of the top offerings from the M42 era leave nothing to want from a lens other than automation, the rendering of certain colors under certain conditions, a smaller diameter, a shorter length, & lesser weight..As for the last three points, I contend that far too many of us, myself included, have become far too enchanted by the manufacturers hype for each succeeding generation of lenses to be smaller & lighter than the preceding generation..

IMO, there is a limit to what engineers are going to be able to accomplish optically as far as reducing the diameter, length, & weight of a lens given the current understanding as regards to the physics of lens design..I don't think that I would get very much argument from the members of this forum in stating that the average build quality of Pentax lenses has decreased slightly with each succeeding generation of lenses starting with the S-M-C & SMC Takumar M42 lenses..From M42 Takumars to K-series to M-series to A-series to F-series to FA-series to FA-J series to DA-series to DA*-series; the build quality has lessened slightly as each new series of lenses has replaced the older ones..Of course, certain selected models stand above their brethren with above average quality..And the M*, the A*, the F*, & the FA* lenses approach the build quality of the M42 & K-series lenses..

The build quality of the SMC Takumars, the EBC Fujinons, the Vivitar Series 1's, the Soligor CD's, etc., etc., leave nothing to be desired build-wise compared to a SMC Pentax A*, F*, or FA* lens..

It would be interesting to disassemble the following three lenses..A Fujifilm EBC Fujinon T400mm f4.5, a Pentax SMC Takumar 500mm f4.5, and a Fujifilm EBC Fujinon T600mm f5.6..All three of these lenses were considered top performers during the M42 era, & still compare favorably to more modern lenses today..

Disassemble them, clean them thoroughly, re-lubricate them, & replace the front elements with ED glass comparable to the ED glass in the A*, F*, & FA* lenses..The lens grinds would be identical to original specifications..Change nothing else about these lenses optically..Reassemble the lenses & calibrate them..

With modern ED glass in these "optically old" lenses my best guess is that they would compare very favorably to more modern designs of the same focal length & maximum aperture..Again, other than the lack of automation, and their larger sizes & weights..

Bruce

Last edited by baltochef920; 08-02-2008 at 07:56 PM.