Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone try the Mitakon Speedmaster 85mm f/1.2 lens?

Last night, as I sometimes do, I was on Flickr viewing thousands of images taken using the Pentax K1 camera. I found myself incredibly drawn to the photos taken wide open using the new "Mitakon Speedmaster 85mm f/1.2 lens".

Most places sell them in the Pentax K mount for $799. However, I found that Adorama has a sale on them for $699! So, I bought one, it's on the way and I should have it next week.

When it arrives, I plan to shoot it on my K1 mostly at f/1.2. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to post a few photos here.

Have any of you used this lens? What do you think of it? What are it's strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks,
Dave in Wisconsin

10-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
arv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do not have it , but very interested in results, on crop as well. Debating between this one and Laowa 105mm
A.
10-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The threads we had about Mitakon lenses in the past were generally "eh, not worth it" because the lenses are so unsharp. They also have completely dead K-mount (no A mode on aperture ring, cannot even stop down meter with green button, no aperture lever at all) and are not machined as well as Samyang. Samyang seems to be superior
But I don't know specifically about the 85mm f1.2. Maybe search the forums for general Mitakon threads, as I kind of doubt anyone here got the 85mm f1.2 speedmaster.

I'd really like to see you post some sample photos
10-21-2016, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The threads we had about Mitakon lenses in the past were generally "eh, not worth it" because the lenses are so unsharp. They also have completely dead K-mount (no A mode on aperture ring, cannot even stop down meter with green button, no aperture lever at all) and are not machined as well as Samyang. Samyang seems to be superior
But I don't know specifically about the 85mm f1.2. Maybe search the forums for general Mitakon threads, as I kind of doubt anyone here got the 85mm f1.2 speedmaster.

I'd really like to see you post some sample photos
I'm a slow and deliberate, manual focus shooter. So, the "dead K-mount" on the Mitakon Speedmaster 85/1.2 lens is not an issue for me - I'll just shoot it in the M mode and use light meters.

I understand that Mitakon also sells a 50/.95 super fast lens. While I do like the 50mm field of view on the K1, I chose not to purchase this one because I was not impressed with its' Flickr photos (low contrast, washed out colors).

I'm beginning to place less value in what Internet reviewers say about a particular lens. The technical characteristics of a lens don't mean much to me. I now prefer to select a lens by viewing hundreds/thousands of images taken with that lens on my camera that have been posted to Flickr. To me, the artistic rendering of a lens is more important than technical variables such as ultimate sharpness, vignetting, or CA.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-21-2016 at 01:17 PM.
10-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
arv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is interesting, that Nikon version (on Lenstip review) has no contacts on the mount, but there are contacts in picture, posted on manufacturer's site.
10-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I understand that Mitakon also sells a 50/.95 super fast lens. While I do like the 50mm field of view on the K1, I chose not to purchase this one because I was not impressed with its' Flickr photos (low contrast, washed out colors).
It's only for mirrorless.
10-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, the main argument against the Mitakon 85mm is the Samyang 85mm. Yes, one is f1.2 and the other f1.4, but Samyang is more affordable, offers some more automation, and has good optics.
I agree that sharpness is not everything, especially with ultra fast lenses and portrait lenses, but the Mitakons were considered so unsharp as to be almost useless at f1.2 - and what is the point of buying an f1.2 lens if you have to stop it down? As you said, though, it comes down to personal priorities.

But I am curious, as the others Maybe on K-1 with PS it will perform really well!

Btw, Mitakon used to make 85mm f2 lens, which was also not really popular, despite being more affordable
10-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well, the main argument against the Mitakon 85mm is the Samyang 85mm. Yes, one is f1.2 and the other f1.4, but Samyang is more affordable, offers some more automation, and has good optics.
I agree that sharpness is not everything, especially with ultra fast lenses and portrait lenses, but the Mitakons were considered so unsharp as to be almost useless at f1.2 - and what is the point of buying an f1.2 lens if you have to stop it down?
But I am curious, as the others Maybe on K-1 with PS it will perform really well!

I've owned and have actually taken apart the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 lens. Na Horuk do you own the Samyang 85mm lens?

I was not very impressed by the Samyang 85/1.4 lens, especially wide open. Take this lens apart and you'll see that it's a poorly made piece of junk not designed to last.

It remains to be seen what I'll think of the Mitakon 85mm lens, but given the hundreds of images I've seen published in Flickr of the Mitakon 85 on the K1, I suspect that I'll like it's images at wide apertures much better than those I took at wide apertures on the Samyang 85.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-21-2016 at 04:33 PM.
10-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

For your information I've owned and taken apart the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 lens, and I heartily disagree with most of what you have stated about this lens!
With what? It is affordable. It does have decent optics. I've seen no complaints about that. Complaints were about focus ring being stiff, minimum focus distance being a bit long, and sometimes QC problems. Oh, and that MF is difficult on classic DSLRs due to the very shallow DoF. I don't know which point you disagree with, but I guess that's not even the point of this thread.

No, I don't own the lens, but I do own another Samyang and have researched the 85mm a lot (ultimately decided to jump for DFA 100mm instead, as I don't do much portraiture anyway).
I will stop responding in this thread, so you don't have to add too much salt. Sorry for intruding with my silly opinion, which is merely based on various reviews, threads, discussion, and viewing sample photos.
01-05-2017, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #10

So, I bought one, it's on the way and I should have it next week. When it arrives, I plan to shoot it on my K1 mostly at f/1.2. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to post a few photos here.
So what ended up happening? Can I see some of your shots with this lens on the k1?