Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 03:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

Any hope for a decent 16-35mm FA lens that can take filter threads?

I am a very happy K-1 user but there is one thing that frustrates me. The 15-30mm f/2.8 lens is a great lens but it does't fit my purpose unfortunately. I am a landscape photographer and travel a lot and this lens is too heavy for my use and the main issue is that it doesn't have any filter thread.

Canon makes a fantastic 16-35 f/2.8 (iii) and a 16-35 f/4 with weather sealed features and so, Nikon as well, and then Sony/Zeiss. They all take filters (most have 82mm threads that work well with the 100mm Lee system).

I don't mind it it is a third party lens (Tamron, Sigma) but this is something that I really miss at the moment. I do have the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 that almost does the job, but it is not weather sealed, it's design and construction is 10y old and it is not the sharpest at wide aperture.

So please, Pentax, listen to frustrated landscape photographer and do something about it...

That was it... thanks chaps

10-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was always a fan of the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4, but I never tried it on 36×24. Bummer that doesn't quite do it for you.
10-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I was always a fan of the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4, but I never tried it on 36×24. Bummer that doesn't quite do it for you.
As I said, "it does the job", but I find it difficult to swallow, to have such a resolution on my K-1, on an AA-filter less sensor and not being able to really benefit from it since the sensor outresolves the lens.
10-22-2016, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

I certainly would not hold your breath for something form Pentax. Their D FA lens roadmap shows an upcoming fisheye zoom (probably not what you're looking for), and between that and the brand-new 15-30 I seriously doubt they have anything else planned in that focal range.

10-22-2016, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cyril_K5 Quote
I am a very happy K-1 user but there is one thing that frustrates me. The 15-30mm f/2.8 lens is a great lens but it does't fit my purpose unfortunately. I am a landscape photographer and travel a lot and this lens is too heavy for my use and the main issue is that it doesn't have any filter thread.

Canon makes a fantastic 16-35 f/2.8 (iii) and a 16-35 f/4 with weather sealed features and so, Nikon as well, and then Sony/Zeiss. They all take filters (most have 82mm threads that work well with the 100mm Lee system).

I don't mind it it is a third party lens (Tamron, Sigma) but this is something that I really miss at the moment. I do have the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 that almost does the job, but it is not weather sealed, it's design and construction is 10y old and it is not the sharpest at wide aperture.

So please, Pentax, listen to frustrated landscape photographer and do something about it...

That was it... thanks chaps
My solution to your two issues are:

Put the DFA 70-200 on the K1 then the 15-30 doesn't seem so big.

Add the FotodioX WonderPana 145 system to the 15-30. It makes the lens even bigger but still handles ok.
10-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
I certainly would not hold your breath for something form Pentax. Their D FA lens roadmap shows an upcoming fisheye zoom (probably not what you're looking for), and between that and the brand-new 15-30 I seriously doubt they have anything else planned in that focal range.
I am afraid you are right. I was hoping that Zeiss might open up to the K mount or that Sigma would build such a lens (they have old ones from the same age as the Tamron I have with lesser quality)

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 07:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
My solution to your two issues are:

Put the DFA 70-200 on the K1 then the 15-30 doesn't seem so big.

Add the FotodioX WonderPana 145 system to the 15-30. It makes the lens even bigger but still handles ok.
Mmm... yes I know the wonderpana with 150mm filter. Way too big and impractical for my use. I agree that the D FA 70-200 is a heavy lens as well. What is happening with Tamron? They used to produce light and compact lenses. Now they are into the heavy, bulky...

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I like this lens and it is actually ok in terms of sharpness from f/5.6 and lower apertures, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having 36MP with no low pass filter on a 35mm sensor, since the lens is outresolved at any aperture?