Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Will Pentax screw drive damage a lens?

I am presuming the in-body screw drive is a high torque motor. Sometimes when pointing at areas of low contrast which causes the AF to hunt, the focus ring will hit hard at the ends, i.e. either min focus distance or infinity. Overtime, I believe this metal on metal impact could cause some internal wear and tear on the lens focus mechanism?

10-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
I am presuming the in-body screw drive is a high torque motor. Sometimes when pointing at areas of low contrast which causes the AF to hunt, the focus ring will hit hard at the ends, i.e. either min focus distance or infinity. Overtime, I believe this metal on metal impact could cause some internal wear and tear on the lens focus mechanism?
Yes, the screwdrive mechanism inside a lens can break after prolonged use. FA limiteds are in particular prone to failing, but that's not to say failures are frequent.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, the screwdrive mechanism inside a lens can break after prolonged use. FA limiteds are in particular prone to failing, but that's not to say failures are frequent.
Something new for me! And very interesting.
Thank You!
10-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Goodness. Incidentally, I was referring to the fa31... i am more used to hearing about sdm failures. Anyone has a screwdrive failure to share? Seems like no af lens last forever...

10-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never heard about this problem, all my Limiteds and all other screw AF lenses are fine
10-23-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
Closed Account

I think that anything with moving parts will eventually break. Enjoy 'em while you got 'em methinks !!!
10-23-2016, 01:20 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Seems like no af lens last forever...
I knew my "Ladies" had something special about them...

10-23-2016, 01:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I knew my "Ladies" had something special about them...
I trust you're not referring to their rejection of that particular mode...

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2016 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I think that anything with moving parts will eventually break. Enjoy 'em while you got 'em methinks !!!
More likely is that something will wear and become sloppy, long before it breaks, if ever.
10-23-2016, 01:37 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I trust you're not referring to their rejection of that particular mode...
Guess I am... no af, so they will last forever, well some are thirty ish all ready.
10-23-2016, 01:37 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Goodness. Incidentally, I was referring to the fa31... i am more used to hearing about sdm failures. Anyone has a screwdrive failure to share? Seems like no af lens last forever...
Yes and no. The focusing ring on my 31 came loose, but nothing was broken as such. The three screws that hold the ring in place had all wiggled out of their threads. Easy to repair (but I still sent it in for service). According to forum member dcshooter (and him I trust in these matters) this is not entirely uncommon with the FA Limiteds; it looks like they didn't apply the locktight correctly at the factory.

Most people will never experience any such problems, though. I have had no problems with my 43 which, going by the serial numbers, is older than my 31.

So, failure, yes, but easy to fix.
10-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess I am... no af, so they will last forever, well some are thirty ish all ready.
A case of "Get thee to a nunnery, go", perhaps?
10-23-2016, 01:55 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A case of "Get thee to a nunnery, go", perhaps?
That sounds a bit advanced for me.
10-23-2016, 03:12 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sounds a bit advanced for me.
Retrograde, really. That old-fashioned Sassenach Will Shakespeare.
10-23-2016, 03:41 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes and no. The focusing ring on my 31 came loose, but nothing was broken as such. The three screws that hold the ring in place had all wiggled out of their threads. Easy to repair (but I still sent it in for service). According to forum member dcshooter (and him I trust in these matters) this is not entirely uncommon with the FA Limiteds; it looks like they didn't apply the locktight correctly at the factory.

Most people will never experience any such problems, though. I have had no problems with my 43 which, going by the serial numbers, is older than my 31.

So, failure, yes, but easy to fix.
Glad to hear that! I was about to ask for the possibility of a repair or that the lens would have to be written off.
10-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My FA 43 failed after several years of ownership, but only a handful (literally) of outings.

Eric told me it can happen with age, and that he sees quite a few FA Limiteds.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: