Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Recommended portrait/fashion lense

I have just purchased the pentax k3 (crop sensor), and are looking for a recommended portrait lense, in which the focus will be on full body shots and 3/4 length. I am coming from nikon and was in use of a 50mm 1.8 on full frame, however i am looking for super sharp shots which i have noticed more so from the zoom lense reviews for pentax.

Do i stick with a prime lense and which, or do i got the zoom route which gives me more flexibility in shots i can take and which one?

Would appreciate any recommendations.

10-23-2016, 01:08 AM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PentaxForums.

There are many great choices ranging from 50mm to 80mm or so, Pentax, and third party. There are even great choices in the M42 mount that can be adapted and used, and produce excellent results.

I don't usually shoot portraits, but I have a DFA 100 Macro WR that would make a great portrait lens on a K3. I also have an M50 that should get the job done, and a Russian MC Industar-61 LZ M42 50mm2.8 Macro lens with Lanthanium glass that has a unique bokeh at about f4 to f8. The aperture blades form a 6 pointed star on pinpoints of out of focus light. Very cool effect.
10-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
On doing research it seems that the 50-135 mm lense has very good ones.
10-23-2016, 01:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yozza Quote
Do i stick with a prime lense and which, or do i got the zoom route which gives me more flexibility in shots i can take and which one?
There may not just be one lens a prime or a zoom for a portrait lens, with the different rendering styles that lenses can give maybe it is a case of trying out several different lenses for different types of portraits. I used the f2.8 50 D-FA for shots of golf clothes, man was it sharp, really showed the clothes in detail, and enough of the golf course back ground recognisable. Yet other styles of portrait might benefit from a shallower depth of field say f1.4/f2 Perhaps the FA 35mm f2 is a choice as well, there are so many to choose from, give them a try I say, see what suits you and your clients
Edit: meant to mention the 77 and 31mm lens

Last edited by beachgardener; 10-23-2016 at 03:29 AM. Reason: add edit
10-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have just purchased the pentax k3 (crop sensor), and are looking for a recommended portrait lense, in which the focus will be on full body shots and 3/4 length. I am coming from nikon and was in use of a 50mm 1.8 on full frame, however i am looking for super sharp shots which i have noticed more so from the zoom lense reviews for pentax.

I'd recommend the Sigma 35mm F1.4. Bokeh's to die for, and you'll get roughly the same FoV as a 50mm on FF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2016, 01:52 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A zoom lens will give you greater flexibility. Depending on the focal length range, you'll be able to take head and shoulders, half and full body portraits at the same distance with just the one lens.

The DA*50-135 has plenty of fans... I've never owned one, though I hear lots of good reports. But if you're used to working with a fifty on full frame, the short end might feel quite restrictive, with a field of view equivalent to 75mm on full-frame. You'd have to step back quite a bit more than you're used to.

Also worth considering would be something like the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Assuming you take the time to calibrate the lens using the camera's "AF Fine Adjustment" facility (many people don't), it's capable of good performance wide open, and really excellent from f/4 onwards. The field of view is equivalent to 42-112.5mm on full-frame, which is a really versatile range for portraiture, allowing for closer work than the 50-135 and covering the field of view you're already familiar with. Pentax's own D FA24-70 f/2.8 has a similar range and is WR too - not cheap, but seems to be well respected.

As for primes... If you liked working with 50mm on full-frame, then the low-cost DA35 f/2.4 is worth considering, as is the more expensive (but excellent value) DA40 f/2.8 Limited and expensive but well-regarded FA35 f/2. The DA35 f/2.4 and DA40 f/2.8 are surprisingly sharp wide open. Going a little longer, the DA50 f/1.8 and FA50 f/1.4 are both good choices - but, again, you're looking at a field of view equivalent to 75mm on full-frame.

Many people swear by the DA70 f/2.4 and especially the FA77 f/1.8, and there's no denying they would be very fine choices - but I suspect you'd find them too narrow given what you're used to.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-23-2016 at 02:30 AM.
10-23-2016, 01:54 AM   #7
pid
Pentaxian

... and for bigger budget the fantastic FA 31/1.8 ltd.

10-23-2016, 01:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One lens that I haven't tried yet but that's on my next purchase list is the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4. It's manual only though, but I'd definitely put it on as a candidate.
10-23-2016, 02:14 AM   #9

Hi Yozza and welcome to the K mount
If your favorite lens on FF is 50mm and you want super sharp pictures, you should consider the 35mm macro limited from pentax. It's a very contrasty and sharp prime.
Regarding zoom, I find the tamron 28-70mm f/2.8 and sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 to be good performers for a reasonable price, but you also have the 16-50 and 50-135mm from pentax (more expensive) which are both stunning zoom..
Hope it helps !
10-23-2016, 03:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome! When choosing focal length, please consider seriously the perspective that you would like to achieve with your shots. Take a look at this image for reference. Personally, for 3/4 to full body shots, I would go for the focal length in the (70)85-120(135)mm, f/2.8 (3.5) or faster. Sharpness is not an easy thing to achieve on the low budget in this category. For this kind of shots, I am using adapted 120 f/1.8 and 110 f/2 LOMO lenses, but it is not something I would recommend as practical. As practical lenses, consider any of the Pentax or Takumar SMC lenses from your preferred focal range. For sharpness, please consult the lens database here on the site and flickr for examples, sufficiently sharp lenses are plenty.
10-23-2016, 03:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is the budget for this lens? Is AF a necessity for you?
Obviously there are a range of lenses that will work for portraits, nearly all of them to be honest, but it's possible to narrow it down a bit.
10-23-2016, 04:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

On doing research it seems that the 50-135 mm lense has very good ones.
This is a fantastic portrait lens. I have one and am very pleased with it. So much so that I have delayed purchase of the FA 77 limited lens indefinitely.
10-23-2016, 05:21 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the great advice guys. It seems like the 50-135 may be the best, though i have also heard that some people are having problems with it to.
Victor my budget is around $1000 Aus and yes i will be using af
10-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer primes for doing formal, posed portraits, as opposed to informal, street, or candid shots. I'm not a purist, but it seems that one would want at least f2.8, of not wider, to get the minimal DOF that makes for classic portraiture.

I recently purchased an FA 77mm, which I find to be a great lens on my K-5 for portraits, I hope to put it through its paces in November for the PF Single In group..

I have used the DA 70mm, very good lens, and compact as well. Also the DA 40mm XS adn 40mm LTD are very good lenses for this sort of shooting, IMO.

Here in the PF Marketplace are several 70mm, 77mm, and and at least 85mm. Between PF and sites like Flickr, you can easily sample a variety of lenses
10-23-2016, 05:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Will you be using strobes (flashes), continuous LED lighting or natural light only. When it comes to portraits; It doesn't matter how exceptional a lens you select - if the lighting is mediocre. Look at the works of the late Yusuf Karsh; the master of light and shadow, to see how lighting makes a difference.

I also suggest the HD DA 70 or a DA 70 for consideration. I have shot portraits with a colleagues DA* 50-135 on several occasions and it is a superb lens. It provides a lot of versatility. Despite the excellent performance of the 50-135 I purchased the HD DA 70. In my humble opinion; I believe the 70 outshines the 50-135 for portraits. It's compact, super fast AF on my K-5II (faster AF than the lethargic 50-135) and true to all Limiteds delivers with a unique drawing style that some refer to as pixie dust.

The 70 will also leave money in your pocket that can be invested in lighting!

Here are a couple of links from the Pentax Photo Gallery:

HD DA 70 Limited: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/photos/gallery/query?camera=&lens=4089

DA 70 Limited: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/photos/gallery/query?camera=&lens=100

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 10-23-2016 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Added links