Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The 60-250 works very well with the HD DA 1.4x rear converter. Somewhat unexpectedly, I find myself using that combo for closer subjects (which makes up for the hefty focus breathing, to some extent) and running without the converter for longer distances.
Depending on subject, focus breathing is not necessarily a bad thing, as focal length may not actually be as important as magnification ratio, and als focus breathing largely is for achieving reduce loudly close focus (quasi macro capability) on otherwise lenses that traditionally do not close focus, I.e. Long telephotos.

It may not mate if you are not considering working at the minimum focus distance.

When I read people looking for low cost alternatives to really expensive long lenses (many of which simply don't close focus any way) I almost instinctively jump to a conclusion of wildlife / birding.

For this, again focus breathing is not an issue because except for dumb luck, or tame bird feeder birds, you can't approach our fine feathered friends that closely.

The other thing to consider is that from a wide range of coverage point of view, a TC in a moderate zoom ratio suffers much less in terms of focus breathing than a wide zoom ratio lens