Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 04:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Konica to K-mount?

Hi!

I just took over a few nice old lenses from a friend, among them a 85 f1,8 and a 300 f4,5. Are ther adapters that would allow me to mount them on my K10D?

All the best,
Erik

07-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I started with Konica before my first Pentax. Many good lenses. You know the Japanses industrial authorities used Konica lenses as their reference lenses...
I read a while ago on a dedicated Konica website that Konica lenses could not be adapted to other cameras and that it contributed to the downfall of Konica, but I don't remember exactly where. I might have been here:
www.buhla.de - Konica start page

or here:
Alan Myers, Photographer

Let me know if you suceed. I sold my Konica gear to my cousin in 1984 to buy a Pentax Super A and a Program A with my first two Pentax lenses. I'm still missing my old Hexanon 40/1.8 (supposed to be the sharpest normal pancake lens of its time) and the Hexanon 200/3.5. It is very possible that he still have my old gear stuffed away, collecting dust since the last decade or so, and in that case, if you find a way to mount the lenses on the Pentax, I might try to buy my lenses back from my dear old cousin.
07-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Been there, done that: a Konica bayonet lens will mount on a K camera, but won't achieve anywhere near infinity focus. It is as though you were shooting with an extension tube.

The reason for this is that Konica had one of the shortest registration distances. Therefore Konica lenses don't adapt well to other mounts, but on the other hand nearly anyone else's lenses will mount on a Konica, provided you have the right adaptor.
07-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snigelben Quote
Hi!

I just took over a few nice old lenses from a friend, among them a 85 f1,8 and a 300 f4,5. Are ther adapters that would allow me to mount them on my K10D?

All the best,
Erik
The Konica registration distance is fully 5mm shorter than the K-mount registration distance.
I'd say you are out of luck.

07-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Been there, done that: a Konica bayonet lens will mount on a K camera, but won't achieve anywhere near infinity focus. It is as though you were shooting with an extension tube.
No problem if you like macro
07-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everybody!

Well, I do like macro... Maybe the 85 f1.8 can be an excellent macro lens. Anyhow, the mount is quite similar to the pk, and I was able to almost fit the lenses on of my macro rings, but the aperture pin seems to protrude a little to far, so I didnt try to mount it on the camera itself.
07-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Konica on Pentax! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
for the full story. I didn't take a photo of the lens on the camera though.
07-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The Konica registration distance is fully 5mm shorter than the K-mount registration distance.
I'd say you are out of luck.
5mm you say
I wonder if they'd work on a Sigma camera
Although just eyeballing it the Sigma is only about 2 or 3mm shorter

If anyone in Canada happens to have a spare Konica lens they'd like to get rid of please let me know. And I'll let you guy's know if it'll work on my second system.

07-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I wish I could use my old Konica lenses on my Pentax. The 135 f2.5 is outstanding and the 50 f1.4 is among the best I've seen.
07-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
5mm you say
I wonder if they'd work on a Sigma camera
Although just eyeballing it the Sigma is only about 2 or 3mm shorter

If anyone in Canada happens to have a spare Konica lens they'd like to get rid of please let me know. And I'll let you guy's know if it'll work on my second system.
The registration distance of the K-mount is 45.46mm, the Konica AR mount is 40.7mm, the Konica F mount is 40.5mm (I don't know what the difference is otherwise) and the Sigma SA bayonet (I presume this is the lens mount presently in use) is 44mm, still much longer than the Konica mounts, and long enough to render Konica lenses useless for general photography. The Olympus 4/3 mount, which is either 38.67mm or 38.8 mm, my source is a bit vague is pretty much made for adapting, since it's registration distance is so short. I don't know what it's diameter is, which can limit what can be adapted.
07-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi snigelben,
The Konica distance from the sensor/film to the mount face is 40.5mm, compared to 45.5 for the K-mount. To get a lens to focus at infinity you would have to reduce the barrel by 5mm as stated previously. Below is a link about easily converting for use with the Olympus 4/3rds bodies. The resulting crop factor is 2.0, so forget wide angle. I was interested in trying the conversion to Pentax, but the lenses on Feabay were over priced, so I dropped the idea.

Dave

GFSNT

QuoteOriginally posted by snigelben Quote
Hi!

All the best,
Erik
07-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The registration distance of the K-mount is 45.46mm, the Konica AR mount is 40.7mm, the Konica F mount is 40.5mm (I don't know what the difference is otherwise) and the Sigma SA bayonet (I presume this is the lens mount presently in use) is 44mm, still much longer than the Konica mounts, and long enough to render Konica lenses useless for general photography. The Olympus 4/3 mount, which is either 38.67mm or 38.8 mm, my source is a bit vague is pretty much made for adapting, since it's registration distance is so short. I don't know what it's diameter is, which can limit what can be adapted.
Thanks Wheatfield, your right about the Sigma still using the SA mount.
So I would imagine that your right about everything.

Which is really too bad, I've never even held a Konica system but it sounds like they made some good glass.

The only other thing I can think of is getting a modified TC. Although I don't know of anyone whom's ever tried that.
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Which is really too bad, I've never even held a Konica system but it sounds like they made some good glass.

The only other thing I can think of is getting a modified TC. Although I don't know of anyone whom's ever tried that.
I had a TC, good camera. Mechanical. Closest Pentax model is probably K2. I also had an FC-1, good to, but electronical. Me-super is probably the equivalent.
Though I would actually take a K2, K3, K3n or K4 before any of these two. Even more like a Pentax K2 or KX. TC does not have so many long exposure times to choose between. And FC-1 is battery dependent, and if you are anyway going analog, do it completely.
Konica had the first SLR with built in film-winder (FS-1), and the fist camera to read DX-codes from the film. But then they could not afford to take the auto focus jump.

Now one way to use your Konica lenses on a Pentax is with a reverse mount to lens or a reverse lens-to-lens adapter. Then the Konica bayonet does not matter. This is a good way to go into real 1:1 macro or more.
07-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Olympus is the only dslr camera system that will mount a Konica lens (with some modifications) and achieve infinity focus. Check this page out for further information

Fourthirdsphoto Member’s Articles » Blog Archive » Konica to FourThirds Modification
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Gads, even my wife doesn't say that about me.....
One of my friends is a Hasselblad shooter, and has been for several decades. When he went shopping for a 35mm camera system he ended up trying, and buying, Konica because the lenses were so good.
I think the only other lenses of the era that can compete with the old Hexanons are the OM lenses from Olympus.