Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The M20/4 is so small and hence easily added to the bag when going out ('just in case') - so is that considered 'better'?
In practical, day to day terms - yes. Results look impressive too.

10-27-2016, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I'm wondering if the K-series ones are really better in IQ compared to the M-versions?
Well, you need to remember that the K lenses do not form a coherent series, the way the M lenses do.

Early K lenses were just M42 lenses remounted for the bayonet.
Then later, for example, the K 24/2.8 was introduced and marketed together with the M lenses,
and its only distinction from the majority of the M series was its 52mm filter ring diameter
(which nevertheless is shared with the M 200/4).

This is Pentax we are talking about, after all,
where the K3 replaced the K5 while the K50 replaced the K30,
so it isn't all going to be completely logical!
10-30-2016, 04:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

My statement is that there are very few M lenses superior to the K lens they replaced, although the center performance is generally good, the more compact optical constructions probably did have a negative effect on the edge and corner performance (which you won't notice much on APS-C).
10-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
My statement is that there are very few M lenses superior to the K lens they replaced
The best lens is the lens you have with you!

While the tiny little M 20/4 has its optical faults (softness, mustache distortion),
a lot of users prefer it to the K 20/4 because it's just so easy to bring along.
And then they're blown away by the beautiful color rendering.

10-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I've never really noticed a significant difference in performance between my K-series lenses and my M-series ones. For the most part, as it applies to lenses, anything Pentax puts their name on is of decent quality. I think we worry about this stuff FAR too much.
10-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I've never really noticed a significant difference in performance between my K-series lenses and my M-series ones. For the most part, as it applies to lenses, anything Pentax puts their name on is of decent quality. I think we worry about this stuff FAR too much.
Agree that we worry about this stuff far too much.

I have my favorites in all of the manual focus series. The SMC K 135/2.5 has remained one of my favorites for close to 40 years, getting another revival with the K1. The M 20mm/4 is another fave, for the reasons mentioned by several here. I'm also partial to my copy of the M50/1.4. One can't really generalize.