Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Charity sale find ME super with M50 1.7 lens.

Hello All
My wife and I donated several items to a charity flea market at our local senior citizens center. While there I found on one of the tables a Pentax ME super with a M 50 mm F1.7 and a Sigma 37 to 70 zoom lenses. I picked up the combo for $10 and was wondering if I just made a contribution of $10 to the Senior Citizens center or whether I got something useful.

So my questions:
1. The main question and the one that really matters. The M 50mm 1.7 is in perfect condition, the aperture blades open smoothly and snap shut instantly, no scratches or marks on the black finish and the glass is clear, no haze or fungus, it looks like a brand new lens. Is this lens useful on my K-3? I would imagine I need to go into the menu to enable use of aperture ring, and if I do this, can I use it in Av mode with manual focus? That would be great if I can. This is what I was really after when I bought this.
2. If I do enable the aperture ring, do I need to disable it every time I switch back to any of my DA and DFA lenses?

Minor questions:
1. Is the ME super body worth anything or should I just toss it? I would think it would need at the very least good cleaning and I probably would need to find batteries for it. I am not really looking to get back into film.
2. Is the Sigma 35-70 zoom worth getting fixed? It is an all metal lens with manual aperture ring, but the aperture blades, unlike the Pentax M lens are stuck fully opened

Any feedback, especially using M series lenses on the K-3 or K-5 would be appreciated.

10-27-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the A-series version of that 50mm lens and it's quite sharp...
10-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the M 50. You use it in M mode by selecting the desired aperture then using the green button to get the camera to select a shutter speed. Once you have set the aperture ring enable option, it can stay there for any lens you use.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Offer the ME Super here in the forum marketplace or elsewhere on an as is basis (e.g. uncertain function, requiring maintenance or for parts) and probably win your money back.

I would give fixing the Sigma a miss if you're not going to use it on a film camera. Disclose the issues and offer it up for parts or as a repair project.
10-27-2016, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

M50/1.7 = $50 - $75. Though fairly common that lens has a cult following for sharpness and image quality.
MESuper = $25 as is to $75 in operating condition, meaning $15 worth of batteries to find out whether it works might be worth it. That was the second Pentax I bought new and I still have it.

I can't help with the Sigma.

You can leave Enable Aperture Ring set to Yes forever and just use your modern lenses without changing it back. None of us understands why Yes isn't the default state.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-27-2016 at 05:54 PM.
10-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

Also - HERE is the comprehensive tutorial Adam wrote on using manual (M series and more) lenses with a Pentax digital camera. Your K-3 will work just fine this way.
10-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens is definitely worth giving a try. As noted above, the Pentax-M 50/1.7 has sort of a cult following, but the reputation goes back when the lens was new. The camera is also probably worth giving a try, though it may need some basic maintenance. At very least, the foam light seals and mirror bumper may need attention.

Steve
10-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
meaning $15 worth of batteries
Probably much less money than that. I think I paid about $8 for my last 2-pack of SR44 batteries from Walgreens.

Steve
10-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Probably much less money than that. I think I paid about $8 for my last 2-pack of SR44 batteries from Walgreens.

Steve
That is assuming of course (if you unlucky like me) and both batteries aren't dead right from the get go. Then its back to walgreens to buy another set at another 8 bucks.....

10-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

Even more compelling.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
10-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
That is assuming of course (if you unlucky like me) and both batteries aren't dead right from the get go. Then its back to walgreens to buy another set at another 8 bucks.....
Not my experience.
10-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
A four pack of Sunbeam akaline SR44 equivalents is only a buck at Dollar Tree.