Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Problems with new tamron 70-200 and my K50 :(

Hi, I just purchased the Tamron 70-200. When I put it on my K50 it is not working properly. It doesn't seem to focus. My camera basically locked up none of my camera controls are working with it on. I can't even turn the camera off unless I remove the battery. Am I missing something here. My other question is that I purchased this lens to use for fast action sports. I read a lot of reviews on here before ordering but after placing my order I found alot of reviews from other sites saying that this is a very poor lens for action sports. The pentax is so much more money I wanted to give this one a shot anyways (if I can get it to work ) Any advice, and or opinions on the lens itself would be greatly appreciated. I mostly shot HS football, Lax and Volleyball.
Thanks in advance
Kim

10-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First step- Clean camera mount and lens contacts with technical alcohol, check firmware version of your camera, if necessary-update it. Tamron 70-200 has a long known issue of not focusing in LV on some pentax more recent DSLR, but works excellent when focused using viewfinder.
10-28-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you checked to see if the clutch on the lens barrel is set to autofocus?
10-28-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Have you checked to see if the clutch on the lens barrel is set to autofocus?
Hi, Thank you both for your quick replies, when you say "clutch" are you referring to the ring on the barrel that shifts up and down or maybe I should say back and forth to go from manual to AF? If so yes that is set in auto focus. Or is there some other function to put it into auto focus that I am not aware of? How do I know if the firmware needs to be updated? I am not using LV only viewfinder so that would not be an issue. I am so bummed I was hoping to try and use it tonight to shoot Senior night at our last FB game for the season ;(

10-28-2016, 04:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
Hi, Thank you both for your quick replies, when you say "clutch" are you referring to the ring on the barrel that shifts up and down or maybe I should say back and forth to go from manual to AF? If so yes that is set in auto focus. Or is there some other function to put it into auto focus that I am not aware of? How do I know if the firmware needs to be updated? I am not using LV only viewfinder so that would not be an issue. I am so bummed I was hoping to try and use it tonight to shoot Senior night at our last FB game for the season ;(
Yes I was referring to the ring on the barrel that shifts between manual and auto-focus when I called it a clutch. To my knowledge there is no way to update the firmware for this lens.
10-28-2016, 04:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear this . It's one of my favourite lenses, works great on my k3ii
10-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #7

If you have access to other Pentax bodies and lenses I suggest you try your Tamron lens on a different camera and another lens on your K50. That would at least confirm if the issue is isolated to the lens itself or perhaps something related to the camera.

10-31-2016, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This almost sounds like the dreaded apeture block issue with the K50. The only way to truly know is to the try the lens on a different body. My Tamron 70-200 2.8 works fine on both my K3 and K50. I do not know who told you this lens was not good enough for sports but this lens loves sports shots. There simply is not a better 70-200 f2.8 lens for the money.