Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm lens marked "DEMO" -- Rare???

Hi everyone,

I just got my hands on what may be a rare lens. I've come across quite a few Pentax lenses in my time, but I have never seen or heard of one like this one. A search on the web did not find anything either.

The lens itself is just an ordinary "A" version 50mm f/1.4 lens but it has an engraved "DEMO" marking on the barrel. As you can see from the close up photo, the engraving is professionally done and looks to be factory original.

I'd like to know if any of you have come across or heard of something similar? Perhaps on a different model lens?

Why was it marked as "DEMO"? Was it for a special exhibition or event organised by Pentax to promote the then new A series lenses?

It's possible that someone has engraved it after the lens has left the factory, but for what purpose? The quality of engraving suggests that it would not have been cheap to have it done. If it was for a store demo, it would have been more economical to use a paint marker or a sticker.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Cheers,
Tom

Attached Images

10-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
HYS
Veteran Member

Seems plastic, isn't it? I guess from the dawn of the plastic era.
10-28-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Seems plastic, isn't it? I guess from the dawn of the plastic era.
Everything is not what it seams. The A50/1.4 is just metal, glass and a bit of rubber. So are most of the A serie except a few late consumer zooms.
10-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Everything is not what it seams. The A50/1.4 is just metal, glass and a bit of rubber. So are most of the A serie except a few late consumer zooms.
O, fine! Now it's really interesting. Sorry for my comment.

10-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Actually, the A series does have few plastic parts. With the A50/1.4, the name ring, the focus ring, and the aperture ring are all plastic. Only the filter mounting ring and the ring with DoF scale are metal (and the mounting plate, of course).
10-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have seen Pentax film cameras with the equivalent of "demo" inscribed on the camera in Japanese. Generally, these were used at trade shows and for dealers with the intention that they were not sold but used so the consumer could get their hands on the products in the store or at the show.

I donʻt know what officially makes anything "rare", but they are uncommon. Unfortunately, I havenʻt seen lenses and cameras marked as demo as increasing their value, as like rental cars or rental gear, they are handled and potentially put through their paces by many photographers including the media and testing labs.
10-29-2016, 01:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I have seen Pentax film cameras with the equivalent of "demo" inscribed on the camera in Japanese. Generally, these were used at trade shows and for dealers with the intention that they were not sold but used so the consumer could get their hands on the products in the store or at the show.

I donʻt know what officially makes anything "rare", but they are uncommon. Unfortunately, I havenʻt seen lenses and cameras marked as demo as increasing their value, as like rental cars or rental gear, they are handled and potentially put through their paces by many photographers including the media and testing labs.
There's no real correlation between "rare" and "valuable". Something that may be rare, thus difficult to find, doesn't always add value. A rare item that has no demand is worthless. Value is always determined by "supply and demand". In this case, the underlying value is that of a very common lens and the "DEMO" marking is just that, a marking and it doesn't improve the performance of the lens or anything like that so it doesn't generate demand by normal consumer. However, if you're a collector of Pentax lenses, then it can add some value (assuming the marking is original factory job).

10-29-2016, 02:35 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's very cool

It's a nice lens even without the added interest - the A50 lenses are great optically and the auto aperture control makes them much nicer to use on our DSLRs, even if they do sacrifice a little in build quality compared to the earlier M series.

I don't know whether it adds any value, but it's certainly more interesting with that DEMO engraving than without
10-29-2016, 02:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
There's no real correlation between "rare" and "valuable". Something that may be rare, thus difficult to find, doesn't always add value. A rare item that has no demand is worthless. Value is always determined by "supply and demand". In this case, the underlying value is that of a very common lens and the "DEMO" marking is just that, a marking and it doesn't improve the performance of the lens or anything like that so it doesn't generate demand by normal consumer. However, if you're a collector of Pentax lenses, then it can add some value (assuming the marking is original factory job).
Agreed. "DEMO" would have been engraved by the manufacturer, but as it is a similar but different upper case sans serif font, it would have been done to a small select batch early in the production of this lens for marketing. I presume you found this in Japan? Again, as demo cameras and lenses are not intended for resale, this was probably initially in the possession of an Asahi Pentax employee, regional sales manager, etc.

And yes, collectors love anything that was rendered unique by the manufacturer. I had an early Minolta Maxxum where the XX were overlapping like the Exxon oil corporate logo. Soon after the Exxon Valdez oil spill disaster in Alaska, Exxon sued Minolta claiming their double x overlap was a trademark infringement...so Minolta Maxxumʻs after that had a normal XX with no overlapping lines. My early Maxxum was stolen and I missed having that special rogue logo on it.
10-29-2016, 03:00 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Used for trade shows perhaps?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2016, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DEMO is short-hand for 'DEMOLITION'?

has it been checked for explosives?
10-29-2016, 04:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I purchased the lens here in Japan.

I think the consensus is that it was marked for a trade show or for a Pentax employee, late in the development of the A series, just prior to public release.

I still would like to know if anyone else has seen or heard about something similar. If the engraving is indeed a factory job, I can't imagine that they made just the one.
10-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Does it lack the serial number?

Seb
10-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Does it lack the serial number?

Seb
No, the serial number is also there in the usual place for this lens.
10-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
No, the serial number is also there in the usual place for this lens.
Check the s/n against the PF database and see where your A50/1.4 fits in. If it's in the middle of the list, then it's probably not an early version.

Phil.