Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #1

Tamron 70-200mm cheaper in Japan ($615)

Hope this is the right forum for this info:

Tamron 70-200mm was $615 net to me compared to US web retailers (the big guys) $769. I was having dinner in Shinjuku (Jonetsu Horumon...good stuff), and decided to poke my nose into Yodobashi and BIC Camera. Bought at BIC.

You get tax free with a foreign passport plus you get 5% with a VISA card. However, despite me telling my bank that I'd be travelling in Japan, my VISA got denied by BIC. The staff there was kind enough to give me the 5% discount even with my AMEX. Amex gave me a decent exchange rate, so $615 net to my card.

I'll post the other deal I got (A360GZ II) on the flash forum.

The downside of course is that I probably will have warranty issues (I assume I have a Japan only warranty).

10-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by hurricane Quote
Hope this is the right forum for this info:

Tamron 70-200mm was $615 net to me compared to US web retailers (the big guys) $769. I was having dinner in Shinjuku (Jonetsu Horumon...good stuff), and decided to poke my nose into Yodobashi and BIC Camera. Bought at BIC.

You get tax free with a foreign passport plus you get 5% with a VISA card. However, despite me telling my bank that I'd be travelling in Japan, my VISA got denied by BIC. The staff there was kind enough to give me the 5% discount even with my AMEX. Amex gave me a decent exchange rate, so $615 net to my card.

I'll post the other deal I got (A360GZ II) on the flash forum.

The downside of course is that I probably will have warranty issues (I assume I have a Japan only warranty).
Shinjuku Station is an experience! Only been there on business with very little time to explore. And I had the same experience last month with my VISA in Paris after telling my bank I'd be there. The rep for the the apt we took said he only has problems with American banks. Called VISA directly, and the couldn't understand, they had the travel notice, no problems. Had to wait for business hours EST where my bank said someone didn't do something they should have. Had a frank and candid discussion with the bank when we got home.

Recently, I called Tamron USA and asked about replacing the worn through zoom ring on my 9 year 28-75/2.8. They sent me a set of new rubber sleeves, zoom and focus for $3 USD. Lens looks like new.