Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

purple fringing on 77mm limited?

I am looking to get any feedback to if the 77mm limited lense has pf with portrait photography, well any photography i guess. The reason being that i am looking to buy a da 55mm 1.4, and have been told that both lenses do, with the 55mm not having as much. Does this sound right and if so in what type of circumstances is this most common?

Thanks

---------- Post added 10-30-16 at 08:02 PM ----------

I just came across this thread, it seems both do
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/81233-fa-77...-fringing.html

10-30-2016, 08:39 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yozza Quote
I am looking to get any feedback to if the 77mm limited lense has pf with portrait photography, well any photography i guess. The reason being that i am looking to buy a da 55mm 1.4, and have been told that both lenses do, with the 55mm not having as much. Does this sound right and if so in what type of circumstances is this most common?

Thanks

---------- Post added 10-30-16 at 08:02 PM ----------

I just came across this thread, it seems both do
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/81233-fa-77...-fringing.html
77mm does have PF at wide open apertures and it does not go away until f4 or so. However it is an easy fix in post processing either in Photoshop or Lightroom. You see PF in high contrast situations when you have a dark area that is immediately next to a light area. The fringing happens along the edges on the dark side. It is not always severe but it is there if you look hard enough.
10-30-2016, 10:35 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
agree, FA77 has a little more PF than DA*55, but easily correctable and well worth it for the superior rendering of the FA77, IMO.
Good luck
10-31-2016, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ditto to the above. I will however say that it has less PF than the FA50 f1.4, DA50 f1.8, and FA135 f2.8. In terms of PF, even the DA70 Ltd has a similar amount (at f2.4 vs f1.8). So relative to the competition, it does a decent job, and at about f4 it's completely gone (which happens to also be the sweet spot for the lens wrt sharpness).

10-31-2016, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are both good lenses. The FA 77 is pretty prone to purple fringing. In most cases it is easily fixable with a click or two in lightroom. I have had a couple of time when fixing it left a gray shadow around the portrait I was shooting, but this is not typical. The DA *55 is less prone to PF and is quite sharp. Not quite as nice bokeh, though.
10-31-2016, 03:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty happy that I have very good copies of both these lenses. My FA77 fringes a bit more than my DA*55, but not in a deal-breaker kind of way.

The two compliment each other, and I would not consider parting with either.
10-31-2016, 04:19 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

To put things into perspective: the Canon EF85mm f/1.8 has issues with PF that can still be visible at f/5.6, same goes for the EF 85mm f/1.2L. The Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G has PF too but the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G and 105mm f/1.4G have better control over this issue - but neither of those lenses are anywhere near as as small as the FA77.
10-31-2016, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It's not bothersome (click on the images for full size):

10-31-2016, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

It is a non issue and common with fast lenses which have been designed for pleasing bokeh.

It will be visible strongest at any extreme contrast edges in bright light (think of silvery metal edges reflecting the sun). A human portrait subject usually is not full of these and for the background it is just a simple click in software to remove.

Read: https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/59625/is-it-normal-for-a-fast-prime-to-exhibit-purple-fringing-in-middle-of-the-image or https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51414237
10-31-2016, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Portraits with the FA77. Who cares about fringing when B&W is the natural habitat? Mind you, it ain't too bad in colour.

10-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

...in what type of circumstances is this most common?...
Purple fringing is most common in extreme contrast areas. Shadowed tree branches against bright clouds will often trigger fringing. It's not a common portrait problem because you can position yourself and your subject to avoid backlighting.
10-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It fringes pretty badly vs the 50-135, but they both do fringe in high contrast areas. With the 77mm limited, I don't seem to get as much purple fringing as green though.

Here are some full size (links on photos should go to the full size page on flickr) unedited (except for fixing the white balance in the first one because it was set to something weird and wrong in the camera at the time) photos picked more for the fringing example than the photo quality:
The classic fringe nightmare - bare branches against a light background. I didn't have any with the sky that weren't so far off that you'd need to go 200% to see them (but basically the branches are entirely purple in those cases), but this is against the river and the trees on the other shore are blurred to a pretty much flat tan backdrop. View full size and you can see the purple and green fringing pretty easily. It's bad, but not terrible

Here's a shot of my buddy reading a book and smoking a cigar on my front porch. This one has way more green fringing visible than purple fringing - the green outlines almost everything, where the purple is mostly on the cover of the book and the top of the chair.

Third shot, newlyweds holding their marriage certificate out so it's clear and they're out of focus - You can see some purple fringing around the edges of the license and her hand, but again, the green fringing is much more prevalent.
10-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The 77 fringes like crazy. Like, it's really, really bad at times...

But totally worth it. I'll trade the fringing for what it can do and wouldn't change it.

Green bokeh fringing is much more controlled. The FA31 goes nuts with that much more so.
10-31-2016, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange...mine is fairly resistant to purple fringing. To be honest, it has more LoCA (so-called bokeh CA) than PF. People tend to confuse the two, but they are quite different. I can make my FA 77 fringe (flash, +2 stops, crumpled aluminum foil), but in general shooting it is not a problem.

Steve
10-31-2016, 11:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
77mm does have PF at wide open apertures and it does not go away until f4 or so. However it is an easy fix in post processing either in Photoshop or Lightroom. You see PF in high contrast situations when you have a dark area that is immediately next to a light area. The fringing happens along the edges on the dark side. It is not always severe but it is there if you look hard enough.
oh thats very helpful to know thanks

---------- Post added 10-31-16 at 11:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's not bothersome (click on the images for full size):

yes it is very tough to pick u in these shots uness you really do now about it

---------- Post added 10-31-16 at 11:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
It fringes pretty badly vs the 50-135, but they both do fringe in high contrast areas. With the 77mm limited, I don't seem to get as much purple fringing as green though.

Here are some full size (links on photos should go to the full size page on flickr) unedited (except for fixing the white balance in the first one because it was set to something weird and wrong in the camera at the time) photos picked more for the fringing example than the photo quality:
The classic fringe nightmare - bare branches against a light background. I didn't have any with the sky that weren't so far off that you'd need to go 200% to see them (but basically the branches are entirely purple in those cases), but this is against the river and the trees on the other shore are blurred to a pretty much flat tan backdrop. View full size and you can see the purple and green fringing pretty easily. It's bad, but not terrible

Here's a shot of my buddy reading a book and smoking a cigar on my front porch. This one has way more green fringing visible than purple fringing - the green outlines almost everything, where the purple is mostly on the cover of the book and the top of the chair.

Third shot, newlyweds holding their marriage certificate out so it's clear and they're out of focus - You can see some purple fringing around the edges of the license and her hand, but again, the green fringing is much more prevalent.
great examples to know what to look out for and what can trigger it, thanks