Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Munich on two lenses. Okay... maybe three.

I have a work trip to Munich next week, with a few days that might be available for sightseeing. I've been there several times before, but all prior to having a "real" camera. I'm trying to pack light, so my original plan was to only take the 40XS pancake, and the 15mm Limited. A bit of a challenge, but I think it will be interesting.

But a bit of a kink in the plans, there's a good chance of rain and/or snow pretty much every day I'll be there. So I'm kind of resigned to taking the 18-55 kit lens because it's my only weather-sealed option.

11-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Thor
Don't the 40Xs and 15 ltd both sit under the flash on the body? So the snow won't touch the lens?
It keeps it light and great quality for your holiday,so just enjoy your lenses and shield with your hand otherwise.

Dave
11-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've traveled quite a bit with a body, DA40 Limited, and DA 15. Great little kit!
I have shot them in the snow and I think if you are careful to keep the camera dry until you are ready to shoot and then put it away after you should be fine. The 40 hardly catches any rain or snow and you have the even smaller version that what I've got. The 15 will catch some snow but if you use the hood and give it a little wipe or blow and put it away after your shot it will be ok.
11-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I've traveled quite a bit with a body, DA40 Limited, and DA 15. Great little kit!
I have shot them in the snow and I think if you are careful to keep the camera dry until you are ready to shoot and then put it away after you should be fine. The 40 hardly catches any rain or snow and you have the even smaller version that what I've got. The 15 will catch some snow but if you use the hood and give it a little wipe or blow and put it away after your shot it will be ok.
Good to know, and probably easier than a tiny hotshoe-mounted umbrella.

11-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just don't change lenses outside if the snow is flying!

11-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Just don't change lenses outside if the snow is flying!
IN all seriousness, as long as you don't go out in a driving rain and stand out there getting soaked, and as long as you brush off any snow from the connection of body and lens before the snow melts, you will do OK. I go out in bad weather fairly often with whatever lens is at hand. I Keep the camera covered in its bag until I am ready to shoot, shield the camera with my body or tuck it inside my coat. etc,, or standing in a doorway, and avoid facing into the wind, and wipe down the camera afterwards. Also, if it is very cold/freezing, and you enter a warm room from an extended period outside, do not open the camera to change lenses, wait at least 30 minutes until it has warmed to room temperature. This prevents condensation from forming inside the cold camera.

I don't have a 15mm, I use a takumar 17mm quite a bit. I do own the 40mm XS, it is a great walk-around lens in a city.

Have fun, Muenchen offers so much to see both indoors and out. I like to sit on the second floor of the train station and watch the crowds while taking long exposure pictures. The Englsih garden is always fantastic, and the old town as well.
11-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My small kit for European cities was DA15/40/70. Sometimes I would throw in the DA21 or the 18-50. Now, traveling light with Pentax APS-C usually means the 18-135 and one fast prime in the 31-40mm range. The plastic fantastic DA35 is the lightest option.

11-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The forecasts seem to have moderated over the last 24 hours. What was 50+% chance of rain/snow almost every day has become chance of snow showers the last few days. I still may throw the kit lens in the bag, but the 15/40 combo is looking good.

11-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I often go with 15/40/77 as my small travel kit with the 18-135 along just in case. Then the 18-135 usually stays in the hotel unless it's looks especially harsh out.
11-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I owned an 18-135mm, that would probably suffice, if one is walking about, how often does one want to stop and change lenses? However,m if I know where I want to go and take pictures at, I'd probably pick a prime and shoot at that location. I also walk towards a destination with one prime, change lenses, and walk back with tat second lens on to get a different perspective.

IN the end, I'd rather make the lens of the day work in a situation than carry a bunch of lenses and keep changing them.
11-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
If I owned an 18-135mm, that would probably suffice, if one is walking about, how often does one want to stop and change lenses? However,m if I know where I want to go and take pictures at, I'd probably pick a prime and shoot at that location. I also walk towards a destination with one prime, change lenses, and walk back with tat second lens on to get a different perspective.

IN the end, I'd rather make the lens of the day work in a situation than carry a bunch of lenses and keep changing them.
My plan, which I reserve the right to change, is to mount one of the 15 or 40 and go with it until it doesn't feel right.

11-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
mount one of the 15 or 40 and go with it until it doesn't feel right.
That sounds like a good plan, I hope the weather provides a good photographic opportunity, I look forward to seeing you pictures.
11-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Leaving today, getting to Munich in the morning. Weather seems to have really moderated the first half of the week, although Thursday-Saturday looks cold and wet. Tuesday should be chilly but still good to get out and see the city, hopefully take a few good pictures. Sticking to the 40XS and 15 Limited, but have the kit lens just in case.

I'll post some when I get back.
11-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tuesday I got to the BMW complex and took quite a few shots with the 15mm limited. Also walked around an almost completely empty Olympiastadion; might have a few interesting pictures there. Used the 40XS at a tour of the Ayinger brewery last night. And today we're trying to go towards the Alps, but we'll see how much the weather cooperates.

I have no way to get them off camera and post processed now, but will that will come starting Sunday.
11-13-2016, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a couple from the trip, the HDR with the 15mm Limited, the B&W with the 40XS. I still have quite a few to go through and process.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo