Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Light haze - is the bargain second hand lens with haze worth it?

Found a Tokina 20-35 3.5-4.5 used, priced at 129$, cosmetically seems great, but has light haze on some part of the optics. Is it hard to clean it up? I've never disassembled an af lens before, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I need an UWA for a shoot I'll have in few weeks, and wanted to rent a lens from lensrentals, but if I can buy this tokina (which seems to be reviewed positively) for almost the same price as a rental lens, that' be awesome. If not haze I'd buy it in an instant, but I'm a bit hesitant now. None of my lenses ever had haze issues (even vintage lenses from 70s), so I don't know if it's a big deal or not.

11-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you sure that it's haze and not separation?
11-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a photo of the element with haze. It looks like it's the first element after the aperture blades, but I'm not sure.

---------- Post added 11-05-16 at 09:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Are you sure that it's haze and not separation?
Not sure at all, that's why I wanted to ask the community)

---------- Post added 11-05-16 at 09:36 AM ----------

hmm, actually it looks like it's the last glass element, the rear one.
Attached Images

11-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Ok, I think I have one of these lying around at home. I can check and see how easy that one is to get to later on today.
Cool! Thanks

11-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
OK, so I took a look at my copy, and by turning the rear group with the outermost spanner notches, you should be able to remove the entire rear block. This will give you access to the surfaces immediately adjacent the aperture blades, which is where haze tends to accumulate if it caused by lubricant redeposition.

Once out, you can also remove all of the rear elements form the block by removing the various other spanner rings. Just kepe track of where everything goes and in which direction. This will allow you to clean any of the uncemented surfaces. IF there's any way you can get a bette rpicture, I might be able ot let you know whether it is element separation or not.
Doubt I'd get a better photo, was from an eBay store I found. Mm, what do you think about the lens itself? I'm mostly interested in sharpness, as u said I have a quick project coming up in few weeks I'll need an Uwa for, and another option was to rent a lens, probably an apsc one as the only ff option I saw was 15-30 2.8 which is kind of expensive, around 90$ for 4 days with delivery..