Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best way to store Lenses

I've seen a few comments in other threads about keeping your lenses dry and safe when they are not being used, but I haven't seen very much information on how people are actually doing that.

I would like to know how others are storing their lenses when they are not being used. Are you keeping them in another camera bag? Some kind of cabinet? Is there such a thing as a humidor for lenses? Do you keep them in zip-lock bags stuffed full of those little "do not eat" packs?

Ideally they should be safe but accessible too. I'm afraid I've caught a mild case of LBA and my first camera bag is no longer capable of holding all my lenses... so your input is appreciated. Thanks

07-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dmoon911 Quote
Do you keep them in zip-lock bags stuffed full of those little "do not eat" packs?

This if of great interest for me, since I am currently living in a basement and it gets extremely humid.

I guess the mentioned approach could at least put my mind at ease... where do you buy those silica packs? Google time i guess!
07-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

You can usually get canisters or packages of dessicant at hardware stores (Home Depot, etc.), sporting good stores (people keep them in their gun safes and cabinets), and marine/boating stores (they help keep your Doritos crispy at sea).

Some of them are "rechargeable" by drying them out in the oven for a while; others are disposable after they collect their liquid.
07-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I live in Vancouver, BC, and the humidity is usually quite high here (70%ish). I recently decided to properly store my old Minolta film gear. I found a truly airtight plastic food container (Lock and Lock brand) and put the gear in there with an indicating dessicant (silica gel). The dessicant changes colour when it gets used up. It's working fine, currently at 30% humidity. The previous Rubbermaid "Double Airtight Seal) container I tried was not actually airtight.

Note that if I were to leave the dessicant just out in the room, then it would be exhausted in a very short time, like, hours or less. So putting those little packets in your camera bag won't likely do anything unless you are replacing them daily (or more) or "recharging" them. If you heat the silica gel (the stuff I have anyway) to 350F then it gets rid of all its moisture (and turns blue again) fairly quickly (10 minutes?). I don't know if you can get the stuff in the packages hot enough without damaging the packet material. It's nice to be able to see the colour change to know it works.

Now, I did this because the gear I was storing is not going to be used for a while. I'm not sure what to do with my DSLR. Putting it in and out of an airtight box is a little annoying, since I use it all the time. The dessicant would also get used up quite quickly since I would be continually opening the box. I'm thinking just leaving it out on my desk where it is not overly damp might be the best. I'm also thinking of buying a dehumidifier (though not just for my camera gear).

Others talk about using a heated drawer (heated by a small lightbulb) and that might work, but I have essentially no drawers, so it's no good for me.

07-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I live in Vancouver, BC, and the humidity is usually quite high here (70%ish). I recently decided to properly store my old Minolta film gear. I found a truly airtight plastic food container (Lock and Lock brand) and put the gear in there with an indicating dessicant (silica gel). The dessicant changes colour when it gets used up. It's working fine, currently at 30% humidity. The previous Rubbermaid "Double Airtight Seal) container I tried was not actually airtight.

Note that if I were to leave the dessicant just out in the room, then it would be exhausted in a very short time, like, hours or less. So putting those little packets in your camera bag won't likely do anything unless you are replacing them daily (or more) or "recharging" them. If you heat the silica gel (the stuff I have anyway) to 350F then it gets rid of all its moisture (and turns blue again) fairly quickly (10 minutes?). I don't know if you can get the stuff in the packages hot enough without damaging the packet material. It's nice to be able to see the colour change to know it works.

Now, I did this because the gear I was storing is not going to be used for a while. I'm not sure what to do with my DSLR. Putting it in and out of an airtight box is a little annoying, since I use it all the time. The dessicant would also get used up quite quickly since I would be continually opening the box. I'm thinking just leaving it out on my desk where it is not overly damp might be the best. I'm also thinking of buying a dehumidifier (though not just for my camera gear).

Others talk about using a heated drawer (heated by a small lightbulb) and that might work, but I have essentially no drawers, so it's no good for me.
Unless you have condensing humidity, you probably don't need to worry about it. The normal humidity is going to fluctuate daily, so locking them in an airtight box with no moisture is asking for condensation when you bring it into normal air, especially if there is a temperature differential.

I leave the lenses on my computer desk, and haven't had a problem with them at all.
07-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Unless you have condensing humidity, you probably don't need to worry about it. The normal humidity is going to fluctuate daily, so locking them in an airtight box with no moisture is asking for condensation when you bring it into normal air, especially if there is a temperature differential.

I leave the lenses on my computer desk, and haven't had a problem with them at all.
Well, I do have some mold issues in my apartment, so presumably the conditions are pretty good for fungus in my lenses too. I think I agree with you for my current gear, but I can't leave my old film stuff on my desk... I don't use it and my desk isn't that big! So, it was basically shove it in the dank closet, or shove it in the dank closet in a low-humidity box. Shouldn't have problems with bringing it back to normal air since I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

But maybe you were just commenting on storing the in-use gear, in which case, yeah, desk seems pretty good.
07-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmoon911 Quote
I've seen a few comments in other threads about keeping your lenses dry and safe when they are not being used, but I haven't seen very much information on how people are actually doing that.

I would like to know how others are storing their lenses when they are not being used. Are you keeping them in another camera bag? Some kind of cabinet? Is there such a thing as a humidor for lenses? Do you keep them in zip-lock bags stuffed full of those little "do not eat" packs?

Ideally they should be safe but accessible too. I'm afraid I've caught a mild case of LBA and my first camera bag is no longer capable of holding all my lenses... so your input is appreciated. Thanks
I keep the lenses that are in use in a Lowe-Pro Gadget bag. Sometimes it is in the house, sometimes it is in the truck. The lenses that are out of the rotation are either in a display cabinet on my computer desk or are in a Lowe_Pro bag or backpack.
I live in a dry enough climate that I don't worry about humidity feeding a fungus habit, but if I did, I would be leaving lenses with the caps off in full sun from time to time.
07-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

B&H and Adorama both sell desiccant containers/kits.
And I saw (posted here I think) a similar device that had a small battery operated fan in it? I thought it looked pretty slick but didn't think to bookmark it.

07-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Well, I do have some mold issues in my apartment, so presumably the conditions are pretty good for fungus in my lenses too. I think I agree with you for my current gear, but I can't leave my old film stuff on my desk... I don't use it and my desk isn't that big! So, it was basically shove it in the dank closet, or shove it in the dank closet in a low-humidity box. Shouldn't have problems with bringing it back to normal air since I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

But maybe you were just commenting on storing the in-use gear, in which case, yeah, desk seems pretty good.
I think the indicating dessicant is a good idea. The sealed container is a good idea only if you use a dessicant as well.

You can also check out a local marine supply store for small-space dehumidifiers (essentially low-wattage heaters):
-- GoldenRod dehumidifiers work in lockers and drawers (an alternative to the lightbulb-in-a-drawer idea).
-- Low wattage (~100W) fan based units work in relatively small uncluttered areas.

As for me, I just keep all my lenses indoors (not in an attic, cellar, or bathroom ) and I've had no problems. . . but I've never lived in a place with mold problems.
07-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
sbc
Forum Member

I keep all my camera stuff in a dry-cabinet. It uses little electricity and is very convenient. There is a control knob to adjust the humidity level and a digital hygro-themometer.