Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seller's remorse

Certainly the other side of the coin, but lenses that're exceptions to their presumed class are out there; perhaps not common, but a l'il more often than we suspect.

I've since discovered I sold a 'top-2%' DAL 55-300. It wasn't a DA*-300 but later comparisons revealed it was a very good example from the right edge of the bell-curve. They're out there if you look, test 'em and resist a preconceived bias toward quality vs. cost.

11-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Problem is unless you live next to BHphotovideo or Adorama and can "test" 98 out of 100 lenses there really isn't much point. Yea, a few may get lucky on eBay now and then but then you may get a clunker too.
11-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
True, but statistics says (proves?) there's an equal number of lenses out there from both the left and the right side of the bell curve if the sample's large enough. Certainly a silk purse an' a sow's ear ain't the same but there's many a right-side consumer lens that would squash the LBA urge to upgrade if a comparison was readily available.

I'd guess more lenses get bought and re-sold from the left-side group than the right-side but there's still many good ones out there as a result of either true up-grading, ignorance or unwarranted bias.

I have a DA 50-200 that's significantly better than two other 'average' lenses. I'd have never known that if not for having had three of 'em in hand to compare for a week.
11-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sample variation is an interesting and very real thing. I've been on both the winning and losing sides, with lenses that performed as well or better than the consensus view, and on a few occasions, some that were worse (these were returned for replacement or refund).

My target with lenses has been (and continues to be) to obtain a copy that closely matches the majority of reviews in terms of general performance, with no significant optical anomalies. Expecting absolute perfection is an exercise in futility, and if a lens of mine is just a little softer in one corner when viewed at 100% reproduction, or shows very slightly uneven vignetting in extreme circumstances, I can live with that. So long as real photos look good at 1:2 repro, I'm happy...

11-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are users here (one in particular comes to mind) who always seem to be on the left side of the curve.

Maybe I'm not fussy enough but I've had a good run. My DA-L 55-300 was the result of a bad ebay experience (supposed to be a DA; I did a deal with the seller rather than cancel), but it seems to be a very good example. Trouble is, I now can't bring myself to go back into the lottery for an upgrade.

The consumer zoom roulette is one thing, but I'd be spitting chips if I got a dud in a * or Ltd lens.