Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am on a roll!

First came a Pentax-F 1.7x converter for chump change on eBay...

Tonight I landed the following local craigslist deal. Yes, that is the price I paid (Canadian dollars), and yes, that lens is what you think it is. It's also in beautiful shape - hardly used at all. The ME Super shutter won't cock, but I'm not complaining. Never did a reply email "ping" in my inbox sound so good...

Attached Images

11-07-2016, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always nice to get a good deal!
11-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry for being dumb...but for the sake of people not in on the secret, what lens should I think it is?
11-07-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
and yes, that lens is what you think it is.
For sure, you got that zoom for a steal!

11-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
For sure, you got that zoom for a steal!

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Sorry for being dumb...but for the sake of people not in on the secret, what lens should I think it is?
It's the SMC K 50mm f1.2 - I knew it on sight immediately - though I must say, the zoom (M 80-200 f4.5) is in beautiful shape as well.

---------- Post added 11-07-2016 at 06:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Always nice to get a good deal!
The irony is I was just thinking about maybe selling off some other glass to get a K50/1.4 or K50/1.2 for my K2DMD - the M50/1.4 is great and all, but the K bodies deserve K glass. Then this pops up on the local Craigslist. Christmas came early this year. I've not seen a K50/1.2 locally before except once years ago that was sold by a knowledgable seller and at market value.

Last edited by gabriel_bc; 11-07-2016 at 07:58 AM.
11-07-2016, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once I bought a K 1.2 for $25 with a k1000. Miracles happen.
11-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Once I bought a K 1.2 for $25 with a k1000. Miracles happen.
Nice!

I suppose all vintage gear, of any kind, is sold from time to time by sellers who do not know or research the value beforehand. The trick is that there are far, far more folks like that selling mediocre gear than high-end stuff. In this day and age I can't understand why folks just don't google around, look at completed listings on eB@y, etc, to determine a value before selling.

11-08-2016, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice!

I suppose all vintage gear, of any kind, is sold from time to time by sellers who do not know or research the value beforehand. The trick is that there are far, far more folks like that selling mediocre gear than high-end stuff. In this day and age I can't understand why folks just don't google around, look at completed listings on eB@y, etc, to determine a value before selling.
Once upon a time, charity (goodwill) shops here would often have bargains like this...my first film SLR came from one and cost me pocket money as a child. Nowadays they all research every item and ask top second hand prices instead...that's frustrating for a bargain hunter, but good for the charity I suppose. A lot of the real bargains now are where someone is selling a dead relative's estate and just need it all cleared quick, and have zero knowledge or time to evaluate every item. An old film camera just looks like outdated tat to the uninitiated...put it in the pile with the old woodwork tools and the typewriter and be done.
11-08-2016, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I am on a roll!
With my luck... I end up with just a Cheese Roll.
11-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tonight I landed the following local craigslist deal. Yes, that is the price I paid (Canadian dollars), and yes, that lens is what you think it is. It's also in beautiful shape - hardly used at all. The ME Super shutter won't cock, but I'm not complaining. Never did a reply email "ping" in my inbox sound so good...
Nice pickup and catch!

I actually looked at that Craigslist ad and passed it on............

Phil.
11-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice pickup and catch!

I actually looked at that Craigslist ad and passed it on............

Phil.
Did you not recognize the lens? Or were you just being nice to me? Or maybe Fort Langley was too far to drive...

---------- Post added 11-08-2016 at 09:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Once upon a time, charity (goodwill) shops here would often have bargains like this...my first film SLR came from one and cost me pocket money as a child. Nowadays they all research every item and ask top second hand prices instead...that's frustrating for a bargain hunter, but good for the charity I suppose. A lot of the real bargains now are where someone is selling a dead relative's estate and just need it all cleared quick, and have zero knowledge or time to evaluate every item. An old film camera just looks like outdated tat to the uninitiated...put it in the pile with the old woodwork tools and the typewriter and be done.
There was a time, a "golden era" if you will, when film gear was thought to be useless compared to modern digital stuff. Then mirrorless cameras and adapters proliferated, and people realized that legacy glass offered excellent value for the money. It used to be that a guy could pick up any number of film bodies and lenses for cheap. Those deals are less frequent now, but they still turn up from time to time. I picked up a Nikkor 105/2.8 AiS in fantastic shape on on old EM out of the junk bin at a thrift store this past summer, for example. I don't even use or like Nikon cameras - took it to the UK on holidays and sold it there in pounds sterling...

In this case it does seem like it was an estate sale. Good thing I got there before Phil!

Last edited by gabriel_bc; 11-08-2016 at 10:54 AM.
11-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you not recognize the lens? Or were you just being nice to me? Or maybe Fort Langley was too far to drive...
Nope I just did a quick look and did not notice the K50/1.2, probably assumed it was just a M50/1.7 or M50/2 on the ME Super. (I was just scanning and not looking for anything in particular.)

I'm glad someone on the forum got it and will use it!

Enjoy.

Phil.
11-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In this day and age I can't understand why folks just don't google around, look at completed listings on eB@y, etc, to determine a value before selling.
Oh, some of them do. Badly. Look how many f/2 lenses are listed at f/1.2 prices, because they saw 1:2 and didn't know that the real thing would say 1:1.2
11-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nope I just did a quick look and did not notice the K50/1.2, probably assumed it was just a M50/1.7 or M50/2 on the ME Super. (I was just scanning and not looking for anything in particular.)

I'm glad someone on the forum got it and will use it!

Enjoy.

Phil.
Yes, normally a ME Super doesn't suggest it will come with a K series lens. I'm sure you look more carefully at the K series bodies

---------- Post added 11-08-2016 at 12:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Oh, some of them do. Badly. Look how many f/2 lenses are listed at f/1.2 prices, because they saw 1:2 and didn't know that the real thing would say 1:1.2
You mean to say my SMC-M 50mm f2 isn't worth the $375 I paid for it??