Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax specs for Pentax branded Tamron lenses...do they make a difference?

I've been doing some research on the Pentax branded Tamron lenses, namely the 24-70 and the 15-30.

I understand that the Pentax versions were made to Pentax specs. But other than changing the name from Tamron to Pentax, I'm curious as to what changes in specs were made by Tamron with the Pentax version of the 24-70 and 15-30 ?

Questions that linger in my mind is the Tamron 24-70 the same...or better...than the Pentax branded Tamron 24-70 ? Is the Pentax branded Tamron 15-30 the same or better than the Tamron 15-30 ?

Have these Pentax spec changes made a significant difference to picture taking, build quality, etc ?

11-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax purchased the optical design, which means choices of glass elements, their materials, dimensions and curvatures. They might or might not have purchased lens barrel specifications too.

What they did not purchase are coatings (where Pentax has the edge), AF motor, weather resistance, external design, and communication protocols (the Tamron cannot communicate with the camera, so if you use any in-camera optical correction features, such as vignetting and CA, only the Pentax will benefit from these).
11-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I know it is a pain in the neck to transfer production line of a lens from a company to another, so I believe Ricoh imaging outsourced the manufacturing of the Pentax lens to tamron while giving the Pentax specifications to Tamron to manufacture a variant of the Tamron model. The Pentax lens could different in terms of coating options, and finishing of the product, including the mount and sealing. It is also very possible bin the lenses based on MTF accross the frame, the best ones being sold to Ricoh at a price premium and the lenses that don't pass the spec of Pentax get sold cheaper as Tamron lenses, that's one possible way Tamron can make more money.
11-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been wondering about this. I know that, at least in the past, the lens coatings are closely guarded secrets. Would Pentax trust giving the formula to Tamron (even with appropriate legal agreements) - as it would be easy to learn from them?
Seems more likely Pentax would perform that step for them selves?

11-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is pure speculation, but based on the packaging (box shape, cardboard, type of foam padding, plastic bags) and location of production, I think the Pentax 24-70mm and 15-30mm both come straight from the Tamron factory. The packaging is completely different than that of other Pentax lenses. Plus, they are made in Japan, where Pentax no longer has their own factory.

I had all 5 of the new D FA zooms on hand simultaneously while reviewing the K-1.

I can't comment on the coatings as I haven't held the Tamron and Pentax 24-70mm side-by-side, but I'd be willing to bet the AF motors are also the same. One thing is certain: the "SDM" in the 24-70mm has nothing to do with the early SDM motors found in DA* lenses. They sound completely different and the 24-70mm focuses more quickly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd be willing to bet the AF motors are also the same.
Yep, I reckon they are Tamron's USD motors...
11-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is the 24-70 the quickest-focusing Pentax SDM lens?

11-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #8

What puzzles me about these 3 lenses is the pricing.The Tamron versions have built-in optical image stabilization while the Pentax versions do not. That should make the Tamrons more expensive given the additional materials and manufacturing involved. Yet the Pentax badged ones are priced ~20% more than the Tamron (looking at the 15-30 as an example). Given they are coming off the same assembly line I seriously doubt there is any difference in any of the individual lens elements. Using different glass would totally alter the optical formula.

I expected the pricing to be nearly the same of even less on the Pentax branded ones. Either Pentax is hoping to give their version some veneer of superiority by pricing them higher or Tamron is selling theirs at a smaller margin to try and gain market share in the other mounts (NIkon, Canon, Sony).

I'm not flaming Tamron here. I have their 70-200 (older) DI LI IF in K mount and it is stellar. I used to eschew Tamron glass but the 70-200 is a fine piece of equipment. Clearly they have stepped up their game. These "VC USD" models look to be even more impressive.
11-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

A recent lens round up in a Japanese magazine rated the Pentax version of this lens higher than the Tamron one for other mounts, so while I think they are both made by Tamron, I also think there could be some meaningful differences.

The Pentax has different coatings, so that could change the flare resistance and sharpness characteristics. Also the Pentax version has the VC elements fixed, so that could improve performance. I've seen reports that claim Tamron lenses are sharper with the VC switched off.

It would be interesting to have a side by side review of the Tamron on a Nikon D810 and the Pentax on a K-1. I would be interested to see:
- whether the image quality is better
- how effective the VC/SR are is in stabilising the image
- whether the VC/SR has any detrimental effects on image quality when activated

All this would be relevant to judging whether the Pentax lens is worth the premium.
11-09-2016, 12:46 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Pricing for the Canon and Nikon versions is designed to undercut the first party lenses.

In the Pentax case, they *are* the first party lens.

11-09-2016, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #11

I spoke to Tamrom representatives recently in local camera fair. He said that Tamrom is making some of the Pentax lenses and also craft/carve the lenses (glasses) for Pentax. Not sure how true it is but he was speaking very confidently.
He also said that Tamron had a lens roadmap in which only some lenses will be in K mount when others are not planned to be released for Pentax - this is what we already know. But he said that it was a strategical decision made by Tamrom several years ago and they will stick to it for some time for now, unfortunately.
11-09-2016, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
Tamrom is making some of the Pentax lenses and also craft/carve the lenses (glasses)
The the best of my knowledge Tamron outsources their lenses like the vast majority of lensmakers do, I cannot find any indication Tamron has the facilities to grind the advanced aspherics and exotic glass types they are using in their current lenses.

Tamron does however have extensive precision metal mold production facilities - which is undoubtedly where Pentax is getting the designs for the external barrels for the newer DFA* lenses.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-09-2016 at 03:27 AM.
11-09-2016, 03:37 AM   #13

Tamron has at least two factories where they grind lenses: Hirosaki factory and Namioka Factory in Niigata prefecturs. The later one is producing asferical and ultra small diameter lenses. Also the other plant is located in China - Foshan Factory.
Yuriy
11-09-2016, 03:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Tamron does however have extensive precision metal mold production facilities - which is undoubtedly where Pentax is getting the designs for the external barrels for the newer DFA* lenses.
Undoubtedly? Do you have any proof for this, then?
11-09-2016, 04:01 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
Tamron has at least two factories where they grind lenses: Hirosaki factory and Namioka Factory in Niigata prefecturs. The later one is producing asferical and ultra small diameter lenses. Also the other plant is located in China - Foshan Factory.
Yuriy
In fact, let's look inside Namioka.

I think I see Jun Hirakawa hiding under one of the tables.

TAMRON | Hideyuki Abe's Fast-Paced Travels with Tamron's 24-70mm