Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Mirror lenses

To those who have helped me on other threads, thanks. Ended up with the16-45 and the 55-300.

Recently diagnosed with LBA ,I have a question. What are and how good are mirror lenses, ie 500 f8

Thanks

07-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

They use a pair of mirrors, facing each other which fold the light back and forth and magnify it, in a similar way to a telescope. There are a couple of issues, they are all fixed aperture, usually f/8, and one of the mirrors is necessarily mounted in the front element. When its focused on a subject, this doesn't matter as the mirrors focus the light in such a way as to make a complete image, however, if out of focus the secondary mirror gets in the way creating a dark round shadow in the middle. This is what causes the characteristic doughnut shaped out of focus highlights.

The upside is you can get silly focal lengths in a much smaller and lighter package and for a fraction of the price of a conventianal prime or zoom.

I've got a Sigma 600mm f/8 and its pretty good. When I was thinking of buying it I did some research and a few said it was the best mirror lens out there. I can't verify that as its the only one I've ever used.

There's a dedicated flickr group which might be worth a look

Flickr: Mirror Reflex Lens
07-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
...This is what causes the characteristic doughnut shaped out of focus highlights.

The upside is you can get silly focal lengths in a much smaller and lighter package and for a fraction of the price of a conventianal prime or zoom.

I've got a Sigma 600mm f/8 and its pretty good. When I was thinking of buying it I did some research and a few said it was the best mirror lens out there. I can't verify that as its the only one I've ever used.

There's a dedicated flickr group which might be worth a look
I had a Sigma 600 in my film days and thought it was good enough to wish I could find one for my K100D.

I recently tried (and returned) a cheap Phoenix/Samyang 500 which I could not get to focus on my subject, with or without focus confirmation. I was not too surprised, though.
07-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by houstonmacgregor Quote
To those who have helped me on other threads, thanks. Ended up with the16-45 and the 55-300.

Recently diagnosed with LBA ,I have a question. What are and how good are mirror lenses, ie 500 f8

Thanks
The only mirror I'd consider buying is the Tamron 500/8. It's one of only two offbrand lenses that I own.
It has the typical yukky donut bokeh common to mirrors, but it is a remarkably sharp and contrasty lens.
Below is a handheld shot done with the K10 and 500mm Tamron, the other picture is a 100% crop,
Note, it would look better if I had used a tripod......

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-05-2011 at 08:44 PM.
07-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a tokina 500mm f8 and a sigma 600mm f8. both have good optics. Mirror lenses are inexpensive and can produce very nice images. they do have quirks and limitations that will require getting accustomed to. I can recommend both of these lenses and the tamron 500mm f8 is highly regarded, even mor so that the tokina and sigma. heres a thread posted previously. there are many more:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27457-tokina-f8-mirror-lens.html

Mirror lens info:

http://mirrorlens.blogspot.com/

http://photo.net/learn/optics/mirrors/index.html

I have several pics with these lenses here:

Art by Michael Wolf - RedBubble

Last edited by ivoire; 07-29-2008 at 09:28 PM.