Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Storing your lenses

Many of you are in the advanced stages of LBA. Have you thought about how you're going to store an protect those lenses especially from the scourge of lens fungus? My own research on the net points mainly to the "store in a clear box with desiccant option." There's also a lot of interesting information about it. For example, here are a few of the commonly held beliefs I've found:

1) Leather bags are bad (just like the ones that the FA Limiteds come in). This made me immediately take mine out.

2) Fungus like high humidity and moisture, so control the humidity. Air conditioned or dehumidified rooms are supposed to be great for this.

3) Uncap the lens so that sunlight can get in. Apparently fungus doesn't like the UV.

4) Some believe that No. 3 above is nonsense.

5) Fungus likes the dark, hence No. 3 above.

6) When taking a cold lens into a warm, humid place (like coming into a room after taking those winter pics), put the lens in a bag to prevent condensation.

I'd like to know what you guys have heard and what you do to store the lenses do.

02-15-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought a walnut wood glass cabinet just for my lenses

The glass cabinet has its own lighting and vaccum device. I bought it recently for mum's venice glass collection. She claimed the cabinet too big for her liking so I took it back for my own lens keeping storage device.

I got pentax lenses sitting on shelf above canon ones

Australia is a very dry continent. Especially in Melbourne, it is a cool and dry place. Nothing rusts and nothing gets damped.

The whole cabinet is sitting in my wine "cellar" room (temperature about 12 degree celcius most of the time)

Cheers
02-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The whole cabinet is sitting in my wine "cellar" room (temperature about 12 degree celcius most of the time)

Cheers
Hmmm. A visit to Melbourne is looking more likely..

My lenses just sit in my bag with all caps on - haven't had a problem yet.
02-15-2007, 03:00 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
3) Uncap the lens so that sunlight can get in. Apparently fungus doesn't like the UV.
4) Some believe that No. 3 above is nonsense.
5) Fungus likes the dark, hence No. 3 above.

Indeed, there is lots on information about caring for lenses on other forums, especially the M42 and Manual Focus forums.

Some well respected members have posted on this subject to the effect that in order to get rid of the yellowing on some lenses they should be wrapped in tin foil and left in direct sunlight for weeks at a time. This also helps a little if the lenses are old and the grease has solidifed - sometimes making it less viscous and rejuvenating it a little.

02-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not too sensitive about my lenses yet as I don't really have a lot of them.

But when it comes to storing my microphones after a session, what I do is a put them in one of those pasta containers (sans pasta) that has an air tight seal at the top. I'll throw in a bunch of those dessicant packets that you get with various products. Great stuff. Those things have saved me many times from rap vocalists that just want to eat the mic because that's their style.
02-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What I do ...

I've never had fungus grow on my lenses (knock on wood) and I've lived in some humid environments in the past ... as well as in a home with a mold problem.

My method of storing lenses is in a padded camera case, with multiple silica gel packs (replaced every 6-12 months) and no front lens caps or filters on any of my lenses (though I put metal or hard plastic hoods on all lenses to protect the front elements).

So far, all my lenses are in good shape.
02-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I've never had fungus grow on my lenses (knock on wood) and I've lived in some humid environments in the past ... as well as in a home with a mold problem.

My method of storing lenses is in a padded camera case, with multiple silica gel packs (replaced every 6-12 months) and no front lens caps or filters on any of my lenses (though I put metal or hard plastic hoods on all lenses to protect the front elements).

So far, all my lenses are in good shape.
I use one of those lunch bags one would find in a Walmart for my lenses.(insulation acting as padding is great!) and use the silica pouches as JJJ does. I keep all caps on the lenses to keep dust out.

I've been using that plastic bag idea after I read about condensation/rusting addressed in an old K1000 user's manual and really made me think. I keep the plastic bag in my pocket and put the camera (in its own camera bag) in the plastic bag for 15 minutes with a pouch of silica gel as a precaution when coming out of the cold (0 degrees C or below and coming into 22 C room.)
02-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter

almost all my lenses...

Are continually stored in my LowePro Nature Trekker AW backpack with a large number of silca bags in each compartment. My FA* lenses are in their individual (Lowepro/Pentax) lens cases with several silca bags too.

My home is quite dry, although outside is often fairly humid.

02-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #9

Having a studio is a distinct advantage, you have to plan for lens storage as part of the business.

02-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Dana G - What's that really small lens way off to the right, beside but behind the 135?
02-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Dana G - What's that really small lens way off to the right, beside but behind the 135?
I'll check when I get back to the studio. It could just be a lens hood, I didn't arrange the lenses before taking the snapshot.
02-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
I'll check when I get back to the studio. It could just be a lens hood, I didn't arrange the lenses before taking the snapshot.
Looked at it again, looks like a TC.
02-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
roy
Inactive Account

mine sit on a shelf in the study. they only go in a bag when i decide what i want when i leave.
02-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lots of ideas. Since it gets pretty humid here in Hawaii, I was thinking about getting a large, clear, & airtight container to put my lenses in when they're not being used. Maybe one of the bigger Pelican cases. Throw in a some dessicant packs and that'll take care of the humidity problem. Then I'll probably leave it in a sunny place around the house. Hopefully that'll take care or any fungus problem. I already clean religiously to stave off any problem when I'm shooting near the ocean.
02-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #15

A cheap alternative is an insulated cooler of the kind used for carrying beer etc. to a bbq or picnic. Throw in a few silicagel packets for good measure.